Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Staging  (Read 4887 times)

Clay Zambo

Staging
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 09:07:48 PM »
Thanks, y'all.  Clearly there were more than I thought.
czambo@mac.com

Kevin Prather

Staging
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 09:08:59 PM »
Since someone will do it eventually, as someone does in all these list compiling threads, I'll go to another country and say UK's Countdown.

Clay Zambo

Staging
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 09:11:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure Gambit (and slightly less sure about Las Vegas Gambit) was this way as well.

Hard to be sure, since I don't believe we ever were shown a full-set shot of the original Gambit, but since the Gambit board was to screen left of the couples and Wink approached it from offscreen left, I'm willing to bet that Wink was left, the board was center, and the couples were right.
czambo@mac.com

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Staging
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »
Just came up with another---"Top Card".
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Jeremy Nelson

Staging
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 12:09:14 AM »
Interestingly, the UK version of Sale Of The Century flipped the host and players from the US and Australian staging, too, at least for a while.
You are correct. Actually, the Nicholas Parsons version (the original)was staged like that for the entirety of its run. The Americanized version in the late 80s, as well as the 98 revival did the opposite.

New Zealand's version had the host on the right of the screen as well.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Adam Nedeff

Staging
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 02:20:31 AM »
I'm pretty sure Gambit (and slightly less sure about Las Vegas Gambit) was this way as well.

Hard to be sure, since I don't believe we ever were shown a full-set shot of the original Gambit, but since the Gambit board was to screen left of the couples and Wink approached it from offscreen left, I'm willing to bet that Wink was left, the board was center, and the couples were right.
There's a full-set shot in the first EOTVGS. You're exactly right.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Staging
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2011, 09:16:38 AM »
Thought of yet another---"Trump Card".
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

tpirfan28

Staging
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
Since someone will do it eventually, as someone does in all these list compiling threads, I'll go to another country and say UK's Countdown.
Pointless as well.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Clay Zambo

Staging
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 01:07:01 PM »
There's a full-set shot in the first EOTVGS. You're exactly right.

And a couple of shots in the second and third editions that show Wink's lectern just a step or so away from the Gambit Board.  (And, curiously, with the Jackpot display showing a multiple of $200 rather than the $500 I remember.  Anybody know if that was the value in a pilot, or if they changed from 2s to 5s midway through the run?)
czambo@mac.com

Mr. Armadillo

Staging
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »
Pointless as well.
Until I remembered the UK show of that name, I thought you were discussing this thread in general.

/I agree.

Marc412

Staging
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 07:06:52 PM »
I'll add University Challenge (UK's answer to College Bowl) to the list.

(Edited to remove QuizBusters)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:55:58 PM by Marc412 »

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Staging
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 07:16:48 PM »
Interestingly, the UK version of Sale Of The Century flipped the host and players from the US and Australian staging, too, at least for a while.
You are correct. Actually, the Nicholas Parsons version (the original)was staged like that for the entirety of its run. The Americanized version in the late 80s, as well as the 98 revival did the opposite.
Technically the Parsons version was the 'American'-ish version and the Marshall version was 'Australianized', right? :)
@lambertman

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Staging
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 07:46:45 PM »
I'll add University Challenge (UK's answer to College Bowl) and QuizBusters to the list.

Matt is directly opposite of the two desks (like Anne/George stands opposite the two players going head-to-head on Weakest Link). Not sure if that counts.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jeremy Nelson

Staging
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 02:01:22 PM »
Technically the Parsons version was the 'American'-ish version and the Marshall version was 'Australianized', right? :)
Wow, you would actually be right. Never saw the original US Sale, so I assumed that the original UK version was sorta marching to its own beat there. Nice catch. :)
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.