Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Staging  (Read 4885 times)

Clay Zambo

Staging
« on: September 24, 2011, 10:54:22 AM »
While thinking about how I'd stage a game I've been puttering with--not that it'd be likely ever to make it to air, but what the heck--I put the host's position screen-left (stage right) and the contestants screen-right (stage left).  And it occurred to me that that seemed like sort of an automatic choice.  So I tried to come up with examples where the positions were reversed.  Fleming "Jeopardy" came to mind; so did "College Bowl" and the 70s-80s "Joker's Wild."  But I couldn't come up with any others.  (I'm leaving out roaming-host games like "Price" and "Deal," and host-in-the-middle games like the "Password" family.)  Any other good examples of host-at-screen-right?  And any idea why host-left seemed to be such a common staging choice?
czambo@mac.com

bwood

Staging
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 11:09:43 AM »
Tic Tac Dough is one that came to mind right away, Bullseye as well.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 11:12:53 AM by bwood »

Jimmy Owen

Staging
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 12:38:27 PM »
Also in the B&E stable Play the Percentages and Joker's Wild. From Bob Stewart, Blankety Blanks, Shoot for the Stars, Double Talk.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:41:05 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MikeK

• Martha!
Staging
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »
Also Play the Percentages and Joker's Wild.
Play the Percentages for the bonus round du jour and for the latter front game, yes.  During the initial front game, Geoff would be between the two couples.

Jimmy Owen

Staging
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »
Also Play the Percentages and Joker's Wild.
Play the Percentages for the bonus round du jour and for the latter front game, yes.  During the initial front game, Geoff would be between the two couples.
Yes, I forgot about the first format. 60's Match Game and IIRC Get the Message also did it that way.  How would you catagorize the panel shows?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:50:27 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Staging
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 02:04:03 PM »
Interestingly, the UK version of Sale Of The Century flipped the host and players from the US and Australian staging, too, at least for a while.

Ooh, speaking of Reg Grundy: Scrabble. Though it could be argued that was closer to stage-center.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

Staging
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 02:27:11 PM »
Win Ben Stein's Money
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Staging
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 04:51:57 PM »
I guess "Trivia Trap" could be included. Technically, Bob was screen-center, but the contestants were screen-left.

/uhh, judges? :P
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 04:55:54 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

CeleTheRef

Staging
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 04:58:34 PM »
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire!

and curiously in Italy, the very first and the very last versions of Wheel Of Fortune had the host on the right side of the screen.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:01:17 PM by CeleTheRef »

BrandonFG

Staging
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 06:12:36 PM »
I suppose "Hollywood Squares" would count, at least all post-Marshall versions. I believe Marshall's had a weird setup.

Also "Jackpot!"
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Staging
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 07:23:39 PM »
I suppose "Hollywood Squares" would count, at least all post-Marshall versions. I believe Marshall's had a weird setup.
Erm, why do you believe that?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Staging
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Erm, why do you believe that?
For some reason, I thought I read somewhere that the contestant/host area and the tic-tac-toe board weren't staged like the subsequent versions. I believe they were set up parallel and facing one another, instead of at an angle like in later versions. But thinking about it, technically the contestants still sat at stage right, even with the supposedly different staging.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

gameshowcrazy

Staging
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 07:43:08 PM »
IMHO, I would put Hollywood Squares in the "host in the middle" category--all versions had the host sit between the contestants, it was the CELEBRITIES that were to the viewers right in all versions other than maybe MG/HS Hour where I think they may have been facing the celebrities, but still to the right of where the hosts and contestants sat.

NickS

Staging
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 08:48:14 PM »
I guess "Trivia Trap" could be included. Technically, Bob was screen-center, but the contestants were screen-left.

/uhh, judges? :P

I'll agree; you had the same setup for All-Star Secrets; more in the middle for Eubanks but the contestants are screen-left.  Add Your Number's Up to that list, too.

That Don Guy

Staging
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 08:58:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure Gambit (and slightly less sure about Las Vegas Gambit) was this way as well.