Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Comparing Game Show Fans To Other Fanbases  (Read 5454 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Comparing Game Show Fans To Other Fanbases
« on: September 28, 2011, 01:51:46 PM »
So posting in another thread about crazy game show fans and whatnot got me thinking: as far as the entire fan base is concerned, where do we rank as far as fandom? I mean, there are some areas (Comic Books, Star Wars, Star Trek)  whose hardcore fan bases will always outnumber and out"fanatic" us, but what else is out there in the mass media world as far as tested, long standing fan bases? Are we comparatively small when standing next to just about every other pop culture fan base?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 02:28:56 PM »
Are we comparatively small when standing next to just about every other pop culture fan base?
I think we're definitely on the small side.  This forum is the biggest one on the internet devoted to game shows in general, and we only have a couple hundred regular readers/posters.  Sociology studies could be done (and some of us have done some amateur theorizing) about what draws certain people to game show fandom, but the truth is that there really aren't all that many of us.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 02:39:38 PM »
What is odd about the game show fanbase is that it is almost exclusively male--of a genre that, for daytime shows anyway, is meant for the enjoyment of women.  I'm a fan because I wanted to work in the industry at one time and the history of television of all genres is of interest to me.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 02:57:49 PM »
What is odd about the game show fanbase on the Internet is that it is almost exclusively male
Both fixed and explained that for you.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

thomas_meighan

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »
Another of my long-standing interests is silent film and as improbable as it may seem, there are some parallels between these two areas:

--silent films and game shows have suffered extensive losses, either from neglect or deliberate destruction. As such, the question of exactly what survives is a common question in both groups of fans. Queries as to why and when these destructions took place are another frequent topic.

--both areas are fairly marginal in the public arena, aside from certain personalities & films/programs. More people will always know and care about "Jeopardy!" and Charles Chaplin than will ever be interested in "Now You See It" and Constance Talmadge.

--the economics of availability is another troublesome parallel between the two. Silent films on DVD rarely sell more than a few thousand copies, often making it difficult to justify releasing obscure films. Private viewings in archives and festival screenings can usually be arranged, but many hundreds of extant silents will likely never reach large audiences. In the same vein, GSN's repeats have never drawn the same kind of viewership that much of Nick at Nite's or TV Land's have. The investment required to license the more obscure game shows and transfer them to modern formats is unlikely to be recouped in any large way and the sheer number of episodes makes comprehensive DVD releases a dubious proposition.  

It's hard to judge which group of fans is larger--silent films tend to get more mainstream respect and a surprising number of media write-ups, but OTOH game shows continue to be produced and attract new fans who may know little or nothing about the genre's history. Silent films *do* outnumber quiz shows in terms of books published and scholarly research conducted. Indeed, thanks to archival databases we actually have a pretty solid idea of which silents exist and which don't, but we're much less certain about many game shows.

Flerbert419

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 07:00:41 PM »
What is odd about the game show fanbase on the Internet is that it is almost exclusively male
Both fixed and explained that for you.

But why? Are you implying that women are less capable using the Internet than men?

I don't think there are thousands of women game show fans sitting on their couches saying "Boy, I wish I had somebody to talk to about The Joker's Wild!"

Winkfan

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 10:05:23 PM »
If you ask me, soap opera fans are even more fanatical. Whenever one of their shows gets canned, they tend to "scream bloody murder." The only times we game show fans blew our gaskets was when the original versions of Concentration and Jeopardy were evicted from the NBC line-up.

And this coming from one who actually cried while watching the finale of the original Card Sharks 30 years ago. (Guilty as charged.....)

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »
If you ask me, soap opera fans are even more fanatical. Whenever one of their shows gets canned, they tend to "scream bloody murder." The only times we game show fans blew our gaskets was when the original versions of Concentration and Jeopardy were evicted from the NBC line-up.
Words...just...fail. The utter inaccuracy of this statement is truly mind-boggling.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 10:22:46 PM »
And this coming from one who actually cried while watching the finale of the original Card Sharks 30 years ago. (Guilty as charged.....)
Please tell me you're joking. Please.
-Joe Raygor

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 10:28:34 PM »
One thing that pisses me off more than anything is when someone makes up lies about a die-hard obsessed game show fan (claiming that he or she has no life outside of them).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:33:43 PM by gameshowlover87 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 10:43:39 PM »
One thing that pisses me off more than anything is when someone makes up lies about a die-hard obsessed game show fan (claiming that he or she has no life outside of them).
Dunno about you, but this applies to just about anything in life; I don't like people who make up junk.

When I see game show conventions being parodied in pop culture, I'll know we've made it. I don't much care about fanaticism, I just want to enjoy the stuff that I like, and for the hobbies that I like, I tend to want to learn as much as I can about them.
Travis L. Eberle

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 10:51:49 PM »
I was just basing that on an experience I had on the GSN forums.

I remember there was a thread with fantasy ideas of future game show DVDs, and someone had the nerve to call us out and tell us "GET A LIFE!" That upset me greatly.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
I remember there was a thread with fantasy ideas of future game show DVDs, and someone had the nerve to call us out and tell us "GET A LIFE!" That upset me greatly.
Why? If he's here he's geeky like us all. He doesn't speak for anyone but himself.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 11:02:34 PM »
Here's the thing, game shows are a genre that's highly enjoyed across all demographics. Maybe it's the flashy lights, or catchy theme songs, or just seeing people win cash and prizes and fantasizing about it being them...who knows?

Despite the fact that there are some overzealous fans on this and the other forums (GSN, G-R), I still think that makes up a very small minority, considering, like I said, the genre draws in such a broad fanbase.

Even the rabid soap fans Tammy referred to are probably in the minority, compared to Trekkies or Star Wars superfans.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Johnissoevil

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 12:16:26 AM »

I really don't recall knowing of or hearing of anyone blowing their gaskets over a game show cancellation.  Disappointment over one's favorite being axed, yes, but I never heard anything to the effect of "OMGLOLZ THOSE MOTHERF***ERS AT NBC TOOK $ALE OF THE CENTURY OFF THE AIR!  HOW COULD THOSE A**HOLES DO THAT?"
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15