Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Merv Griffin's Crosswords goes "Retro"  (Read 4576 times)

Johnissoevil

Merv Griffin's Crosswords goes "Retro"
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:26:27 AM »
Don't know when this started, most likely recently, but RTV now airs a full hour of Merv Griffin's Crosswords reruns at 9am Eastern.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Stevek83

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
I was never a fan of that show. I feel it wasnt structured properly.

Then again I only saw one show!

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:22:29 AM »
I was never a fan of that show. I feel it wasnt structured properly.

You're right. The show had many flaws and underwent quite a few format changes in just the first few months. Kinda makes me wonder how it would've done had Merv been able enough to help with the development.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

toddyo

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 11:00:57 AM »
Couldn't bring in Jack Clark to save it either.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 12:09:48 PM »
That's nice to know. Having recently dropped cable, RTV is one of the few options I can pick up locally. Agreed it's a horribly flawed show, but it does have some play-along value. Since RTV picks up a lot of their shows from Peter Rodgers Organization, I hope they'll also take on Celebrity Bowling. Either Family TV or Family Net has Bowling on it's schedule, but our local affiliate cherry picks it's lineup, often pre-empting for religious programming. Still, with my options limited, Crosswords is still better than all the current net/synd shows I'm tired of watching. Funny, tho, how fast Crosswords fell into what one might consider a low-end syndicated property that's almost being given away. Not all that long ago, PAX/ION was considering picking up the old Reagan Lingo re-runs. Wonder if those are still on the market?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 12:36:57 PM »
Normally this would call for a facepalm, but in this particular case, really, honestly, one episode was all you needed to correctly draw this conclusion. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Casey Buck

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 01:04:13 PM »
Funny, tho, how fast Crosswords fell into what one might consider a low-end syndicated property that's almost being given away.

Wasn't Crosswords a "low-end syndicated property" all along?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:05:01 PM by Casey Buck »

tvwxman

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 04:32:59 PM »

You're right. The show had many flaws and underwent quite a few format changes in just the first few months. Kinda makes me wonder how it would've done had Merv been able enough to help with the development.
What format changes? I don't remember any format changes, other than upping the bonus prize money.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 05:15:51 PM »
What format changes? I don't remember any format changes, other than upping the bonus prize money.

There was a first-week-of-taping set of rules where the Crossword Extra didn't have a wagering element. I saw very few episodes from when the prize money went up (and the Getaways went away). I liked those slightly better, but I wasn't coming back as a regular viewer.

Wiki details it all, albeit in roundabout ways.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

J.R.

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 06:23:07 PM »
MeTV and AntennaTV > RTV
-Joe Raygor

Johnissoevil

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 06:34:54 PM »
MeTV and AntennaTV > RTV

That I can agree with.  I watched Antenna TV on my recent NJ visit, was impressed with what I saw.  The owner of the RTV affiliate here has been trying to gain an affiliation with Antenna TV for one of their sub channels, hope they're successful.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

tvwxman

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »

There was a first-week-of-taping set of rules where the Crossword Extra didn't have a wagering element. I saw very few episodes from when the prize money went up (and the Getaways went away). I liked those slightly better, but I wasn't coming back as a regular viewer.

Wiki details it all, albeit in roundabout ways.

-Jason
Thank you Jason. I do remember these changes vaguely.

God what an awful show. Had so much potential too.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

William_S.

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 08:24:45 PM »
MeTV and AntennaTV > RTV

That I can agree with.  I watched Antenna TV on my recent NJ visit, was impressed with what I saw.  The owner of the RTV affiliate here has been trying to gain an affiliation with Antenna TV for one of their sub channels, hope they're successful.
You're out of Jersey John? I don't blame ya!

I used to enjoy this show alot when it was on. It had a good crossword element....that was until I played the X360 version. and sadly realized how much (the Game in whole) *it sucked.

Tim L

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 11:06:14 AM »
I get RTV on a Low-Power station on channel 39 locally Over the air (OTA they have  RTV/Local, Tuff TV, RTV full schedule, and a new religious FM simulcast) and on Cable.   I also pick up RTV and  Tuff TV on Free to air Satellite..I did'nt notice they had Crosswords on..

I get MeTV and Antenna TV on 19.2 and 8.2 in Cleveland, respectively..Both MeTV and Antenna TV have added some former Universal TV shows that had been on RTV, which has weakened the RTV schedule somewhat..
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:32:14 PM by Tim L »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 01:34:38 PM »
In other local news, the FOX affiliate in Lansing just this week picked up a MeTV affiliation on one of its subchannels.  I think I'm going to get a kick out of it, especially for a few shows from the late fifties and very early sixties (Perry Mason for one) that I've really never seen in any great quantity.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.