Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ABC to burn off Million Dollar Mind Game  (Read 10140 times)

brianhenke

ABC to burn off Million Dollar Mind Game
« on: October 08, 2011, 12:38:37 AM »
The online guide for WCHS-TV in Charleston, South Carolina, says that ABC will begin burning off Million Dollar Mind Game (episodes were taped over a year ago) on Sunday afternoons beginning Oct. 23.

The Vernon Kay-hosted show, based on a Russian format, has six-contestant teams answering questions that start at $6,000 and go up to $1 million.

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 10:31:12 AM »
A friend of mine worked on this show, and what he described was something I would love.  Me and about seventeen other people.  It's people sitting around solving riddles, but increasingly clever and complex ones.  It's really banking on the play-at-home element, and I just don't know how many people are going to be willing or able to put enough thought into it.  From the sounds of things, even with big money on the line, there are few vicarious thrills.

Still, Sunday afternoon?  Interestingly, the only other non-athletic game I can think of that ever had a Sunday afternoon slot was the similar-appeal (but completely different era) original College Bowl.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 01:48:39 PM »
Eighteen, Matt.  (Or were you including me?)

I'm sorry that the show isn't getting a more decent airing, but it's nice to think there'll be something interesting to look forward to on Sunday afternoons.
czambo@mac.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 02:19:18 PM »
Eighteen, Matt.  (Or were you including me?)
You're a smart guy with a wife you adore and a love for game shows, New York City and musical theater.  Believe me, when *I* like something, you're on the list.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tomobrien

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 11:46:35 PM »
 Interestingly, the only other non-athletic game I can think of that ever had a Sunday afternoon slot was the similar-appeal (but completely different era) original College Bowl.

I believe Alumni Fun was Sunday afternoons as well.

trainman

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 12:35:38 AM »
I tried out for this show way back when with a group of acquaintances -- I really liked the format, and they showed us clips from the pilot episode which seemed reasonably well-done, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it as well.

(No, we didn't get chosen as contestants.)
trainman is a man of trains

colonial

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 06:59:55 AM »
Since ABC Sports was rebranded as "ESPN Sports on ABC," the Alphabet's sports content has been quite thin compared to years past, as ESPN gets the more-than-healthy share of Disney's sports material.  ABC has college football, IRL and the occasional NASCAR race, but that seems to be it (not counting NBA since there may not be a season this year).  

ABC affiliates aren't thrilled with what the network has been offering on weekends the last 2-3 years -- selected reruns of ABC primetime shows (Wipeout and Shark Tank come to mind), reruns of ESPN "long-form" shows (30 for 30) and the highlight-y Winner's Circle.  Not sure if MDMG is the first "first-run" show to air in the ABC weekend bloc (thinking the Alphabet may have burned off a canceled prime time show in these slots, but I'm not sure).

The show sounds interesting but, as others have lamented, it may not play in Peoria.  I'm also not thrilled about watching Vernon Kay host again (he was absolutely dreadful on "Skating with the Stars" -- granted, the whole show was horrid, but Kay was no help.  Have to wonder if Kay's "Skating" performance played a factor in ABC burying MDMG).

JD
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:00:42 AM by colonial »

Jay Temple

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 05:42:51 PM »
Not sure if MDMG is the first "first-run" show to air in the ABC weekend bloc
laughing at myself here: I forgot the name of the show we were discussing, and for a brief moment I thought there was a Million-Dollar Match Game. The mind reels ...
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 06:10:36 PM »
Million-Dollar Match Game. The mind reels ...
And I thought $5,000 was enough for _____ FLAKES anyway, myself.
Travis L. Eberle

MyronMMeyer

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 12:57:19 AM »
One of the writers on this show was Gary Lucy, who also wrote for Win Ben Stein's Money, Street Smarts, 1 Vs. 100 and Million Dollar Money Drop. (Also "Blind Date", but that's neither here nor there.) On the Facebook page for his podcast Rock Solid he wrote, "If you're not doing anything on Sunday, maybe check this out. Easily the hardest and 'out of the box' game show I've ever written on... but you Rock Solid fans are a clever lot! You'll get everything right "

For what it's worth, Rock Solid is a music podcast, but Gary has lately taken to introducing a game element. Sometimes a straight quiz, sometimes a Pyramid format guessing game, etc. He did a incredible question set for the 10th show about 10s in music. If you're a fan of rock or pop music, the podcast's  worth checking out.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is to say, "I bet the questions will be well written." So there you go.

-M
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:58:40 AM by MyronMMeyer »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 05:17:02 PM »
Anyway, the whole point of this post is to say, "I bet the questions will be well written." So there you go.
...and right you are- a couple of the questions seemed to heavily weigh moreso on trivia than the logic of figuring it out the Mona Lisa question comes to mind , but I really liked the writing. The various audio/video/black box clues were a nice touch, too.

My roommate, a regular college student, got into the show, to my surprise. I don't think it's as mentally daunting as Americans will probably assume it is- at least they get to watch the team work out the question, which makes it more manageable.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Fedya

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 07:34:05 PM »
The questions were for the most part quite good...

although I thought one that had the word "tribute" in it was much too easy.

But did they have to make it a show with a f****** money tree and f****** lifelines?

The questions and the team of six are, as I understand it, based on the Russian show Brain Ring, which had two teams of six, something for which Million Dollar Mind Game screams out for.  Some of the question would obviously have worked better if a second team had a chance at the question once the first team got it wrong, or if teams had to buzz in early.

And having it as standalone episodes made it so obvious when the game was going to end.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 07:36:17 PM by Fedya »
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 07:39:20 PM »
I think they got five percent right and 95 percent wrong. The thing that dug into my side the most on the game side was that this show begged to have a first part and a bonus part. You build up the bank in the first part and then either stand pat or have a punt on a big prize.

On the material side, I felt cheated many times, and bewildered at others. Those are not two adjectives that a show wants me to use if they expect me to stick around.
Travis L. Eberle

tpirfan28

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 08:18:17 PM »
It's QI, Countdown, Jackpot, and Millionaire all thrown into a blender and turned on warp speed.

I was bouncing back and forth...the show really didn't keep my interest.  Six teammates seems like way too many.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 08:23:02 PM »
I was bouncing back and forth...the show really didn't keep my interest.  Six teammates seems like way too many.
Six teammates are only a problem when they're all talking at once. It is like Friday night at a Denny's. And I hate Friday night at Denny's. Let the team have the entire hour to play their game, get through as many questions as they can, and allow them to play a final question for a multiplying factor or a dividing divisible.

Plus the money tree is awkward and anticlimactic. Ten steps from $1,000 to $167,000. Yee haw.
Travis L. Eberle