Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jaleel White to host new SyFy show  (Read 3250 times)

Matt Ottinger

Jaleel White to host new SyFy show
« on: October 12, 2011, 06:10:19 PM »
I can't tell you how much it annoys me when supposedly journalistic sources freely swap real life people with their fictional counterparts, and this site seems to do it a lot.  So ignore the headline that says "Steve Urkel returning to TV", which suggests that Mr. White would be hosting in character.  Although that would probably make for a more interesting experience.

http://entertainment.msn.co.nz/article.aspx?id=8358978
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 06:22:59 PM »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:33:54 PM »
He looks like a young Ray Lewis in that recent picture.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:37:36 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

Johnissoevil

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 10:28:33 PM »
I'd love to see him host something in the Urkel character.  I found Steve's antics funny on Family Matters.  The Urkel stuff could've probably taken something like Card Sharks '01 or Temptation and made them watchable despite the dull formats.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:31:58 PM »
I found Steve's antics funny on Family Matters.
You're the one! Jaleel White owes you his CAREER, man!

TimK2003

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 02:26:08 AM »
Wasn't there a show proposal several years ago which was supposed to be a game played in complete darkness?

vtown7

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 06:41:32 AM »
Wasn't there a show proposal several years ago which was supposed to be a game played in complete darkness?

I believe you might be talking about "In the Dark".  The concept was that players would have to do tasks in the dark (like feeding someone who turned out to be their boss).  If memory serves, wasn't it supposed to be on the WB and it got pulled pretty much at the last minute?  They aired a pilot on Quebec network TQS, and I believe there was a UK version.

R.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 09:58:32 AM »
I'd love to see him host something in the Urkel character.  I found Steve's antics funny on Family Matters.  The Urkel stuff could've probably taken something like Card Sharks '01 or Temptation and made them watchable despite the dull formats.
My problem was that the gag (IMO) got old by the 3rd or 4th season, and his taking over the show became similar to The Fonz on "Happy Days" (same producing crew IIRC so no big surprise). The plots got dumber and dumber just to suit Urkel becoming a star.

Interesting choice for the game show...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 12:41:56 PM »
My problem was that the gag (IMO) got old by the 3rd or 4th season
I think you misspelled "episode." :)

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 01:03:25 PM »
The plots got dumber and dumber just to suit Urkel becoming a star.
Two words. Transformation Box.

He's playing House's prison drug supplier this year, I see. That'll be interesting.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

cmjb13

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 01:23:30 PM »
Was Peter Scolari unavailable?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 03:36:19 PM »
My problem was that the gag (IMO) got old by the 3rd or 4th season
I think you misspelled "episode." :)

Nah.  They didn't introduce the character until about halfway through the first season, and even then it was a small part.  Still he wasn't over-the-top obnoxious until the second season, when it really became "Urkel & Friends".
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 03:43:18 PM »
The plots got dumber and dumber just to suit Urkel becoming a star.
Two words. Transformation Box.
That's when I gave up for good. I could deal with him becoming "Stefan Urquelle", but when he turned into Elvis or Bruce Lee, it got beyond ridiculous. However, I do wonder how long the show would've ran had Urkel either remained a) an occasional character, or b) just a clumsy nerd who didn't make goofy crap like transformation chambers.

He's playing House's prison drug supplier this year, I see. That'll be interesting.

A year or so after Family Matters was canceled, he did a UPN sitcom called Grown-Ups with Soleil Moon-Frye. I remember it being pretty funny, but then again, my tastes were quite odd at 17. :-P

My guess is that it was too soon after playing Urkel for folks to see him in a completely different role...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:47:05 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 04:13:17 PM »
However, I do wonder how long the show would've ran had Urkel either remained a) an occasional character, or b) just a clumsy nerd who didn't make goofy crap like transformation chambers.
I don't wonder at all; the answer would have been Not Very.
Travis L. Eberle

vexer6

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »
I've never seen Family Matters, but I do know Jaleel as the voice of Sonic The Hedgehog.  The show itself sounds pretty interesting. I should mention that back in the late 90s, there actually WAS a pilot for an American version of In The Dark, it was supposed to air on Sundays in primetime o the WB, but got yanked for unknown reasons.