Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Possible widespread pre-emption alert because of...  (Read 6722 times)

bandit_bobby

Possible widespread pre-emption alert because of...
« on: October 20, 2011, 09:43:15 AM »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 10:34:21 AM »
Its also possible that I'll make love tonight with Clair Bidez.  Even if they do get pre-empted, what's your point?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 11:22:50 AM »
Its also possible that I'll make love tonight with Clair Bidez.  Even if they do get pre-empted, what's your point?
She's very pretty. She, me and Lindsey Vonn would make a fine sandwich.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 11:55:41 AM »
Even if they do get pre-empted, what's your point?
I believe his point was self-evident, if buried behind a pointless link.
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 04:17:54 PM »
Important History > Random Game Show Episode

Go to freaking CBS.com later tonight, your obsession can wait.
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 04:26:45 PM »
And it wasn't like the victory lap was going to take up an entire hour anyway. It was over and done in minutes. "Bad guy gone, Libyans have a shot at building the kind of country they want, and that's all I have to say about that." No fuss, no muss. I heard it on the radio and it fell between ad breaks.
Travis L. Eberle

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »
Do chips come with that?

/Oh.  Not that kind of sandwich.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Johnissoevil

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 02:28:38 AM »
They could preempt ALL of my favorite shows with this great news, what counts is Gaddafi is now gone, hallelujah!
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

TimK2003

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 02:40:35 AM »
They could preempt ALL of my favorite shows with this great news, what counts is Gaddafi is now gone, hallelujah!

And now that we finally get to lay him to rest, we can finally lay to rest the 112 ways to spell Gadaff..., Kadaff..., Quadaf...., *That* guy!!! :)

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 02:40:51 AM »
Important History > Random Game Show Episode

Go to freaking CBS.com later tonight, your obsession can wait.

Not to one person on Golden-Road.net. That one person thought a TPIR episode was more important than hurricane Irene.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 02:43:33 AM »
And now that we finally get to lay him to rest, we can finally lay to rest the 112 ways to spell Gadaff..., Kadaff..., Quadaf...., *That* guy!!! :)

The "Quadaf" spelling reminds me of this one poster I saw back in 86, during the Reagan-Gaddafi conflict.  It was Daffy Duck, dressed like Gaddafi.  On the top of the poster, it said "Muammar Ka-Daffy Duck."
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

thomas_meighan

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 03:29:16 AM »
The above-linked article uses the term "translation", but the more accurate word would be "transliteration" or "Romanization", i.e. rendering a word into the Latin alphabet. Over the last 15 years or so much of the media has begun using the less "Westernized" spellings: Qur'an vs. Koran, Qaddafi vs. Gaddafi, et al. And it isn't a problem limited to Arabic. Many older books spell Tchaikovsky as "Tschaikowsky" (among even more unusual renderings of his name).

Fedya

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 07:30:22 AM »
"Tschaikowsky" is just a German transliteration of the French Tchaikovsky.  Likewise, any time you see a Russian name spelled ending in -ine instead of -in (eg. George Balanchine), it's a transliteration into French.  The French u is not the "oo" sound in "moon" we and the Russians know, so they use "ou" for that.  The once and future President of Russia's name in French: Vladimir Poutine.  :-)

And you should see the transliterations from Western languages into Russian.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

mmb5

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 09:20:39 AM »
And you should see the transliterations from Western languages into Russian.  :-)
My favorite is Geckelberry Finn, since Russian doesn't have an 'H' sound.  For some unknown reason, they use a hard 'G' as the substitute rather than the Scottish like H/K combination (like in Mikhail).

Useless fact: My job in my senior year of college was to take cards out of the card catalog that were in Cyrillic, transliterate them into Latin so some schlub in Singapore could data enter it into the new spiffy on-line catalog system.  This was done because undergraduates were not allowed write access into the system.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

chrisholland03

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 09:43:44 AM »
Do chips come with that?

/Oh.  Not that kind of sandwich.

There is a pickle in the sandwich somewhere...