Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mental_Floss Quiz  (Read 2735 times)

alfonzos

Mental_Floss Quiz
« on: November 02, 2011, 06:41:05 PM »
A quiz about quiz shows of the eighties and nineties. I scored ninety percent by missing question six. I have never seen GUTS so I had to guess.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Mental_Floss Quiz
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 06:59:35 PM »
Also, Question 4 is flat broken, seeing as there are two right answers.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

Mental_Floss Quiz
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 07:11:18 PM »
Nine's picture needs to be cropped a lot better.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

MikeK

• Martha!
Mental_Floss Quiz
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 07:34:51 PM »
Question 5 is wrong as well.  Without giving it away, the right answer didn't officially get that title until season 2.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Mental_Floss Quiz
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 08:35:10 PM »
Chris, how are there two right answers on Question 4? If it's due to the name of the show, remember the specific category of the quiz.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Mental_Floss Quiz
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 08:36:14 PM »
Chris, how are there two right answers on Question 4? If it's due to the name of the show, remember the specific category of the [color="#FFFFFF"]quiz.
This is why.[/color] (spoiler attached).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:37:11 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

Mental_Floss Quiz
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 09:03:41 PM »
Chris, how are there two right answers on Question 4? If it's due to the name of the show, remember the specific category of the [color="#FFFFFF"]quiz.
This is why.[/color] (spoiler attached).
Precisely so. And I'm willing to bet that the writer didn't even have the first clue that said announcer was in fact using his last name on the air.

William_S.

Mental_Floss Quiz
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 09:21:22 PM »
The first question has a trick to it!! be careful .

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Mental_Floss Quiz
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 09:24:10 PM »
The first question has a trick to it!! be careful .
It does? I got it right with no trickery.

This quiz shows that it is easy to come up with questions, but without the spice of the proper wrong answers, the flavor just isn't there. But we're all clicking on it, so I suppose that's what counts. (Hint: when you have a rather large mountain face in the photo, that's a clue as to what the answer will be.)
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

Mental_Floss Quiz
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 09:37:30 PM »
It does? I got it right with no trickery.
I actually got caught in exactly the trap I believe William is alluding to. But, hey, there's no trickery, so I must just be a moron.

This quiz shows that it is easy to come up with questions, but without the spice of the proper wrong answers, the flavor just isn't there.
Actually, this quiz shows that any jagoff can write some questions, but it takes a special kind of jagoff to write interesting, engaging, well-researched questions.

But we're all clicking on it, so I suppose that's what counts.
Meh. They're not really trolling for page-views, I don't think, they're trying to interest me in their magazine. The quality of the content certainly did not do that, and if they *are* trolling for page-views, they're doing it wrong, because while you might get a nice little burst of them with "hai guys go look at the crappy quiz they posted!", you get a whole damn lot more in the long run by providing quality content that makes me want to look around the site for other quizzes and come back in the future to find their new stuff.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:37:44 PM by clemon79 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Mental_Floss Quiz
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »
so I must just be a moron.
I said nothing of the sort.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:43:51 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

Mental_Floss Quiz
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 12:32:01 AM »
It's your typical game show quiz for the average game show fan who says, "Oh! I remember that version of Hollywood Squares! Umm, it was Joan Rivers wasn't it? Whoopi came later..."

They got it mostly right but it's always easier for us to nitpick for obvious reasons. Honestly, I never knew the final round on Supermarket Sweep had a name, but I could've sworn I heard David refer to it as The Big Sweep?

ETA: spoilage removed
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:58:26 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

Mental_Floss Quiz
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 12:54:06 AM »
The Big Sweep
(No point in spoiling since we're talking about it.)

Nope, that was the actual sweep that determined the day's champions. "The Bonus Sweep" was the endgame. The question is horribly written (shocker) and suggests that the "accumulating time" part of the game was done in one segment without a commercial break.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Mental_Floss Quiz
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 12:57:18 AM »
Replying to Brandon upthread: Well, wait; there's both the reason we're tuning in to a show that is called Supermarket Sweep, and the scavenger hunt for the bonus money. Looking back on it, that first question was rather vague.

/"The Main Sweep." Ugh.
//was the bonus round ever referred to as anything other than 'finding the $5,000' or similar language?
///Now I'm cheesed because I've devoted neural output to a mental_floss quiz, instead of something interesting.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:58:00 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

Mental_Floss Quiz
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 03:48:34 AM »
//was the bonus round ever referred to as anything other than 'finding the $5,000' or similar language?
Not that I remember. Most of the pricing games in the front game had official names, as did the Big Sweep, but the bonus game was always referred to in a similar fashion to what you said. I wonder if that's just how the official rules refer to it, but it's an simple enough name that it could have come from anywhere, really.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:50:09 AM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.