Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trebek talks  (Read 2661 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Trebek talks
« on: February 27, 2004, 11:52:00 PM »
Alex Trebek discusses his auto accident last month.  The video's about 2.5 MB in size.

ChuckNet

Trebek talks
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 11:53:05 AM »
The same piece was also aired by WABC this past wk...wonder how many stations did the same, only w/their local reporter providing the narration.

ChucK Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Jim

Trebek talks
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 12:39:20 PM »
The Cleveland coalition should know this.  So I would like to ask the Wise Men of GSC 9 (or others): (I will read the question and your time begins now): I haven't been there for a while, so I have to ask:
1.)  Is the channel 5 news set relatively new?  Do they always sit in front of a picture of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or does that scene change?
2.) I did catch the channel 19/43 news my last trip there.  It had a much more tabloid feel than the other news shows and I liked it.  When they opened with a headline "Saddam is riding on the highway to hell", I stuck around to see the rest and liked it.  Does the channel get hassled about its more "in your face" approach?

MikeK

• Martha!
Trebek talks
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 01:38:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Jim\' date=\'Feb 28 2004, 12:39 PM\'] 1.)  Is the channel 5 news set relatively new?  Do they always sit in front of a picture of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or does that scene change?
2.) I did catch the channel 19/43 news my last trip there.  It had a much more tabloid feel than the other news shows and I liked it.  When they opened with a headline "Saddam is riding on the highway to hell", I stuck around to see the rest and liked it.  Does the channel get hassled about its more "in your face" approach? [/quote]
 1.  Yes.  The new set has been used for about a month.  WEWS also added a semi-transparent bug in the lower right corner.  The station originally said the bug would be used on newscasts only.  I didn't know Wheel and Jeopardy! were considered newscasts.  Since I don't watch WEWS' news, I can't answer your second question.

2.  Funny you mention that since Cleveland Mayor Jane Campbell banned 19 from Cleveland City Hall earlier this week due to their aggressive style of reporting.  Some local radio hosts think exposing the mayor is the way journalism should be done while at least one host, who was pestered by 19 after getting arrested for DUI last year, has a tough time avoiding expletives when talking about that station's news department.

urbanpreppie05

Trebek talks
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 02:42:15 PM »
Since I don't watch WEWS' news, I can't answer your second question.

No, but I can! Much like Wheel's new backdrop, it changes on occasion. Sometimes there are live shots of downtown, sometimes it's video from the story.

I did catch the channel 19/43 news my last trip there. It had a much more tabloid feel than the other news shows and I liked it.

Well, different strokes for diffrent folks, I guess.  19/43 action news irritates me because of it's tabloidiness. They stripped 43 of any character (The news is called "19 Action News 10 on 43 the block." ) and they seem to be very sensationalistic. I'll stick with 3, 23, and 8.
insert signature here

gameshowguy2000

Trebek talks
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2004, 01:20:44 AM »
The only thing he broke was his glasses. Were these glasses the ones he wears on Jeopardy?

Jim

Trebek talks
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004, 12:44:58 PM »
Interesting about Mayor Campbell banning channel 19.  I hope someone is asking where she believes she has the right to stifle reporters from getting to the facts.  Is she still mad about MSNBC Countdown reporting her silly desire for applause for the way she perceived solving the summer blackout all by her little self.  Or is she smarting from taunting the firemen with layoffs?  Of course, let's not forget her campaign to keep Cleveland clean by removing all the trash cans (People will simply have to carry their trash around with them - yeah right.)  Whether you are Republican or Democrat, you gotta enjoy her some times.  She is as entertaining as Michael Bloomberg who angrily snapped at a question about repairing potholes with, "Then take the subway.".  And don't forget our own little morality play here in Connecticut with the Governor facing possible impeachment charges.  The timidity with which this is being covered astounds me.  The attempts at sensationalizing the story by the Hartford and New Haven stations are weak.  Curtis and Kuby on WABC laid out the issues much better.  Investigative reporting is a joke.  Defense of the Governor (the side on which I fall; after all, he isn't the first politician to allegedly take a favor) is bland, shouting back "small potatoes - look at Clinton".  They need some of those reporters banned from Mayor Jane's office here chasing after both Governor Rowland ("When will you admit everything?") and also after his detractors ("You honestly never saw a Democrat accept a gift?  What about...)
BTW, intersting about the radio personality.  It was him specifically referenced to me when I was warned to be very careful around Westlake and the vicinity because the cops were going on full steam.

MikeK

• Martha!
Trebek talks
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2004, 01:27:32 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 29 2004, 01:20 AM\'] The only thing he broke was his glasses. Were these glasses the ones he wears on Jeopardy? [/quote]
 Yes, because everybody knows Trebek only owns one pair of glasses.

HOW THE BLOODY HELL ARE WE SUPPOSED TO KNOW?  Does it really matter which pair of glasses were damaged when the person nearly died in an auto accident?  Are you really this dense in real life?

I'm sorry, folks.  I had to vent in this person's general direction.  Back to Jim's OT questions...

Or is she smarting from taunting the firemen with layoffs? Of course, let's not forget her campaign to keep Cleveland clean by removing all the trash cans (People will simply have to carry their trash around with them - yeah right.)

Jane laid off about 400 cops and firefighters a month or two ago.  The trash can thing is very funny.  She expects business owners to sponsor a garbage can a la how non-profit organizations might adopt a stretch of highway.  From what I've heard on the radio last week, three (yes, 3) cans have been adopted.

Jim

Trebek talks
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2004, 07:40:28 PM »
Monty Hall can donate those mink-lined multi-colored trash cans frequently seen as a zonk.