Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Monroe on TTTT?  (Read 2447 times)

TDE

Monroe on TTTT?
« on: November 07, 2011, 07:38:31 PM »
I am writing a biography of Bill Monroe, the Father of Bluegrass Music. I'm hoping that one of the members of the Game Show Forum might have a copy of the episode of "To Tell the Truth" that Monroe appeared on in 1969 (taped in September; aired in November) and that he/she would be willing to share a description Monroe's segment of the show or, better yet, a video tape or DVD copy of it, for which I'll gladly pay.

Please call me at (270) 298-3005. Thanks in advance.

Matt Ottinger

Monroe on TTTT?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 10:10:05 PM »
Welcome.  If you haven't yet, you should definitely check out http://www.ttttontheweb.com/

Marshall, the webmaster there, visits here often, so even if you haven't been in touch with him, he'll see this soon enough and know pretty quickly whether that episode is available.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chrisholland03

Monroe on TTTT?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:03:44 PM »
I was thinking 'Too Close for Comfort'...

Jay Temple

Monroe on TTTT?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »
I'm not the only one who thought of Marilyn, am I? (But Jm J. Bullock was my next thought)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:25:33 PM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

dale_grass

Monroe on TTTT?
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 08:56:49 PM »
I'm not the only one who thought of Marilyn, am I? (But Jm J. Bullock was my next thought)
No sir, you are not.

TDE

Monroe on TTTT?
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 02:23:35 PM »
Welcome.  If you haven't yet, you should definitely check out http://www.ttttontheweb.com/

Marshall, the webmaster there, visits here often, so even if you haven't been in touch with him, he'll see this soon enough and know pretty quickly whether that episode is available.

Thanks, Matt. Marshall called and told me that the master copies of the 1969-70 season are lost. Anyone out there have a homemade copy?

Matt Ottinger

Monroe on TTTT?
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 03:46:53 PM »
Thanks, Matt. Marshall called and told me that the master copies of the 1969-70 season are lost. Anyone out there have a homemade copy?
Sadly, I'm afraid Marshall would have been your best bet.  For the most part, all anybody here is going to have are episodes that we may have recorded off of Game Show Network back when they were regularly running the series years ago.  Consistent with what Marshall told you, GSN has never aired that first season.

A long shot would be that someone in Bill Monroe's own family or original management might have gotten a copy back when it was originally recorded.  Not a home recording, those were still a few years away, but maybe an original 16mm film or professional tape of some sort that they might have gotten from the producers.  Stranger things have happened, and we've occasionally been surprised by some new discovery of an episode or two of a show we thought was lost.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

joker316

Monroe on TTTT?
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 08:15:41 PM »
Wish I had the episode for you, but if memory serves, Monroe did perform "Blue Moon of Kentucky" and I believe he may have stumped the panel.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 08:16:02 PM by joker316 »
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck