Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cash on the Line  (Read 6373 times)

SFQuizKid

Cash on the Line
« on: November 13, 2011, 03:38:59 AM »
Forgive me if this has been covered before (but I did search...!)

Does anyone have firsthand recollections of Bob Stewart's pilot, "Cash on the Line?"  I know from what I've read that its endgame became the front game for Pyramid, but what was its main game?  If there was a full pilot, what was the set like?  Did any elements that didn't make it into Pyramid wind up on other Bob Stewart shows?

Even better, are there pictures or video of the pilot floating around?

Jeremy Nelson

Cash on the Line
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:41:05 AM »
Normally when looking for pilots, the Game Show Pilot Light (http://www.usgameshows.net/) has what you're looking for. But since they don't seem to have anything on that, I'll leave it to the forum for a better answer.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Cash on the Line
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »
Normally when looking for pilots, the Game Show Pilot Light (http://www.usgameshows.net/) has what you're looking for. But since they don't seem to have anything on that, I'll leave it to the forum for a better answer.
I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming that was part of "but I did search..."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SFQuizKid

Cash on the Line
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:25:41 PM »
I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming that was part of "but I did search..."
"Right you are!"  I've checked the Pilot Light and even got the date of the pilot from one of William Padron's postings in the Pyramid Fans Yahoo Group.  I figured that since other Stewart pilots from that time (e.g. $10,000 Sweep) are known to exist, that there might be a tape in a private collection, some pictures or audio, or someone who was there and could tell more about it.

Marc

Matt Ottinger

Cash on the Line
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 02:24:25 PM »
I'm a little more connected than the average bear, and I've never seen a video.  I've seen one photograph, but I do not have a copy for myself and I don't recall enough detail to tell you anything specific aout it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Cash on the Line
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 07:46:25 PM »
To SFQuizKid: What do you suppose the impact will be on your show of KRON-TV vacating its current facilities at Van Ness and O'Farrell?

SFQuizKid

Cash on the Line
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 10:48:14 PM »
To SFQuizKid: What do you suppose the impact will be on your show of KRON-TV vacating its current facilities at Van Ness and O'Farrell?
I may no longer be able to walk a few blocks down the hill to deliver the tapes.  (Or they'll go all digital and I won't have to deliver tapes and can just upload video files.)

As long as they continue to renew us, there probably won't be much effect upon production.  We actually tape our shows at Peninsula TV, a PEG channel facility, in San Carlos.  

(Chris is referring to reports like these: http://www.mediabist...ime-home_b26978 and http://richlieberman...t-1001-van.html)

To go back on topic:  A few weeks ago I was speaking with someone who had been in the biz many years ago.  We were talking about the Jeopardy! Watson games and I tossed out a "well, what if" idea.  He said, "oh, that sounds like what Bob [Stewart] tried that CBS turned into the $10,000 Pyramid."  Cash on the Line is always cited as the forerunner of Pyramid, so I was trying to find out more about it, especially the front game.  

Since Bob Stewart kept working on recycled ideas into other shows, did the front game ever make it into another show?

Marc

mmb5

Cash on the Line
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 10:49:21 PM »
According to the Game Show Congress 6 program (which was reprinted from a New York Sunday News article on 8/5/73), the chronology was this:

--Before the pilot, the exec runthrough was at the Americana Hotel (now the NY Sheraton on 7th Ave. and 52nd.)  In the article mentions the winners' circle as we know it today was part of the runthrough.  That will conflict with some of the points below.
--Pilot taped (presumably February 2, 1973).  This is 7 weeks before the premiere.
--Stewart mentions after the pilot that he got a call on a Monday (doesn't mention which week) that they like the Pyramid, but don't like the main game.
--The next day, he had a runthrough for a different show scheduled with Bill Cullen and Peggy Cass, they did the revamped Pyramid runthrough instead.  This was done live with CBS execs in the room.
--After the conference, they told Stewart to now change the end game, since it doesn't mesh with the new front game.
--On Thursday, they did the run through that had both parts in place.
--It was picked up the next day.

And my commentary/other research notes:
--First item I see in a news article about the show is February 21.  It mentions the show as "The $10,000 Pyramid" instead of the "Cash on the Line" title of the pilot.  No mention is made of host.
--References to Dick Clark as host do not start appearing until March 15.
--TV listing references to the show state "10 categories in 60 seconds"
--The first episode taped March 22.
--I have seen the picture Matt is referring to, and no I don't have a copy either.  That picture has 15 boxes on the winners' game board (no circle yet) and probably what would have been the worst color scheme/set in history.
--Based on the picture, and knowing that Bob Stewart never let a concept die, I would place a small wager on the original end game being like the Pass the Buck end game.

Unrelated but a interesting nugget:
The original title of Jackpot! was Bank-O

No copy of the pilot has been found, and the two quickie runthroughs were done without cameras.  It's a little frustrating that of all of the Bob Stewart pilots, this is the one that is currently vaporware instead of the 18th variation of Shoot the Stars.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

Cash on the Line
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 11:24:08 PM »
To go back on topic:  A few weeks ago I was speaking with someone who had been in the biz many years ago.  We were talking about the Jeopardy! Watson games and I tossed out a "well, what if" idea.  He said, "oh, that sounds like what Bob [Stewart] tried that CBS turned into the $10,000 Pyramid."  Cash on the Line is always cited as the forerunner of Pyramid, so I was trying to find out more about it, especially the front game.
For your amusement and education, even though it doesn't have anything to do with the chronology of the specific shows being discussed, Stewart's 1967 pilot Celebrity Doubletalk is a fascinating Ur-Pyramid format.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Cash on the Line
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 12:07:10 AM »
I didn't know you taped in San Carlos. KRON-TV has two big studios which are probably dark now.

SFQuizKid

Cash on the Line
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 10:36:56 AM »
For your amusement and education, even though it doesn't have anything to do with the chronology of the specific shows being discussed, Stewart's 1967 pilot Celebrity Doubletalk is a fascinating Ur-Pyramid format.
I'm amused and edified.  I can see how it could be hard to make work if you don't really know your teammates--what, other than chance, would make a clue something your teammates would get but your opponents would not?