Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Acquires "Dancing with the Stars"  (Read 17881 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GSN Acquires "Dancing with the Stars"
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 04:25:34 PM »
Anyway, you sort of prove my point; you are not alone in not being able to remember most reality show contestants' last names.
In this case, it doesn't matter what their last names are (The Rock approves), but I sure as hell remember who they are, last name or no.

Two, you didn't say anything about last names in the first place, so I fail to see where you can claim I've proven any point at all.

Three, how's the Perfesser?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BillCullen1

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 09:21:18 PM »
Given the "romance" kick GSN has been on (TNG, Baggage, Love Triangle), I'm surprised they didn't pick up "The Bachelor/ette" from ABC . . . wait, let me not give them ideas. With this acquisition, Tom Bergeron, Shandi Finnessey and John O'Hurley will be back on GSN (sort of). I suspect there will be the usual peak curiosity, then declining ratings with endless reruns.

That Don Guy

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 12:47:03 PM »
Given the "romance" kick GSN has been on (TNG, Baggage, Love Triangle), I'm surprised they didn't pick up "The Bachelor/ette" from ABC . . . wait, let me not give them ideas. With this acquisition, Tom Bergeron, Shandi Finnessey and John O'Hurley will be back on GSN (sort of). I suspect there will be the usual peak curiosity, then declining ratings with endless reruns.
Was O'Hurley on after Season 1 (or that "rematch" they had when so many people complained about the S1 result)?

BillCullen1

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 01:00:51 PM »
IIRC, O'Hurley and Mario Lopez had a "dance off" that was quite controversial. I believe O'Hurley got the Family Feud job because of his appearance on DWTS. He was hot at the time.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:02:22 PM by BillCullen1 »

That Don Guy

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 07:25:54 PM »
IIRC, O'Hurley and Mario Lopez had a "dance off" that was quite controversial. I believe O'Hurley got the Family Feud job because of his appearance on DWTS. He was hot at the time.
"The version I heard was," in Season 1, there was no "results show" each week; what they did was, each week, they ranked the dancers 1-2-3-4... by the judges' scores, and 1-2-3-4... by the prevoius week's viewer vote, and combined the two, with any ties broken by the viewer vote.  When it came down to the last two, this meant that the final round of dancing meant nothing, as the viewer vote from the previous week automatically determined the winner (either it matched the judges' vote, or it was 1-2 against 2-1); the consensus was that O'Hurley did the better dancing in the final, but since Lopez was ahead of him in the "final 3" viewer vote, she won.  They had a "dance-off," which he won, but then the argument started over whether it really meant anything, and would he qualify if they ever had a "tournament of champions" of some sort.

catnap1972

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 03:43:26 PM »
Given the "romance" kick GSN has been on (TNG, Baggage, Love Triangle), I'm surprised they didn't pick up "The Bachelor/ette" from ABC . . . wait, let me not give them ideas.

I have this baaaaaaaaaaaaaad feeling you're not saying anything they're not already thinking of.

catnap1972

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 04:30:32 PM »
Are they freaking bananas?  Ten straight hours of it Friday and Saturday nights and another 5 hours on Sunday afternoon?!?

TonicBH

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 11:55:16 AM »
Are they freaking bananas?  Ten straight hours of it Friday and Saturday nights and another 5 hours on Sunday afternoon?!?

This IS coming from the network that decided to burn off 7 seasons of The Amazing Race over the course of 3 months. You expect them to make sane programming decisions? :P
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:55:39 AM by TonicBH »
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »
I'll never forget the first time GSN branched out with GSN Video Games. That was in 2003, when GSN was still watchable to me.

What a terrible year for television 2004 was, looking back on it now. The good Game Show Network and TechTV were gone forever during the Spring of that year.

J.R.

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 07:25:18 PM »
I'll never forget the first time GSN branched out with GSN Video Games.
At least the hostess of the block was cute. (Can't think of her name)
-Joe Raygor

Flerbert419

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 11:44:33 PM »
I'll never forget the first time GSN branched out with GSN Video Games.
At least the hostess of the block was cute. (Can't think of her name)
Carmen Nicole.

JayDLewis

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 06:08:45 PM »
I don't know if it was answered, but BBC America has the rights to Series 1-3.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

xavier45

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 12:19:22 PM »
The first days ratings are in for it, and it didn't do Great. The top rated episode finished at number 17 with 325,000, just below a 10:30am airing of The $100,000 Pyramid. All of the other airings were way down the list.

http://thevoiceoftv.com/nielsen-tv-ratings/gsn-ratings-january-16-22-2012/

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 12:52:05 PM »
Whoever decided upon this lease clearly wasn't aware of one vital thing: Reality competitions just do *not* perform well in reruns.

I recall that Amazing Race, a *far* more interesting show with I think a substantially more re-watchable format, could only pull decent mediocre numbers it's first cycle before falling *hard*.  As a general rule of thumb, when you're replaced by 50+ year old reruns of game shows in B&W (WML/IGAS) that only average around 100K viewers, in a time slot with painfully low expectations, before your lease even expires: your ratings are hysterically bad.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:53:20 PM by Seth Thrasher »

weaklink75

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 01:14:25 PM »
The only competitive reality show that's done decently in cable reruns is to my knowledge Fear Factor- which for the most part is self-contained episodes. I don't know how Wipeout reruns are doing on TruTv, but that might also be an exception.

GSN threw a lot of money to get these reruns, and it looks like they missed again. Maybe they need to work on, you know, some original programming?