Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: General, long-nagging Final Jeopardy! Question  (Read 5689 times)

HYHYBT

General, long-nagging Final Jeopardy! Question
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 12:53:26 AM »
Because she wrote answer x without space as a concern, thinking she had the right answer already, then she realized "oh crap, it's answer y, I wish I would have left more room?"
I agree 100%. But that's exactly my point.

The space she'd pretty much filled, and then squeezed another answer in tiny letters along the edge of, was very clearly a wide, short rectangle, just like what we see at home. Had it been otherwise, she'd never have written it that way, or even have been *able to* see where the bottom edge of our view would be. It was very clearly not scrunched electronically to fit or anything along those lines. (It was also the most painful to see loss of its kind that I can remember... but that's another matter.)

That's evidence (though not, of course, *absolute* proof) that the answer box (however it may be presented) really is that shape, about equivalent to the top third of a monitor. Countless episodes show the same, and not one (so far as I've seen, though I admit I've only seen about a third of the episodes since discovering the show in the summer of 1986) shows otherwise.

(And I cannot express how weird this conversation feels. It feels the same as if I'd asked why there are so many flashing lights on the Price is Right set, only to hear everyone say there are none at all.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:04:07 AM by HYHYBT »
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 03:23:11 AM »
(And I cannot express how weird this conversation feels. It feels the same as if I'd asked why there are so many flashing lights on the Price is Right set, only to hear everyone say there are none at all.)
"I'm sorry, how many are there?"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 04:05:21 AM »
"I'm sorry, how many are there?"

I hate you so much right now.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »
You hate me anyhow. What's yer point? :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 01:35:22 PM »
For those of us who haven't seen whatever that's a screengrab from, would someone be so kind as to explain the reference?
Travis L. Eberle

Jay Temple

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 01:41:16 PM »
Star Trek: The Next Generation. Picard has been captured by the Cardassians, and this one is trying to brainwash him. He'll stop torturing him if Picard says that there are five lights.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »
Star Trek: The Next Generation. Picard has been captured by the Cardassians, and this one is trying to brainwash him. He'll stop torturing him if Picard says that there are five lights.
Yeah, "Chain of Command". Travis, you said you just wrapped up season four? You'll see it as a two-parter in season six. Pretty famous line at the end.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:43:55 PM by clemon79 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »
Wow, that should tell you how poorly I'm doing if I can't recognize Jean-Luc like that.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 02:10:17 PM »
Wow, that should tell you how poorly I'm doing if I can't recognize Jean-Luc like that.
No, you're doing fine; that wasn't Jean-Luc. You've only barely met the Cardassians at this point.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »
No, you're doing fine; that wasn't Jean-Luc. You've only barely met the Cardassians at this point.
That ripple from my stomach just now says otherwise. That said, I shall try to keep up and get there.

/see what I did there?
//anyone?
Travis L. Eberle

Bryce L.

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2012, 02:26:13 PM »
That ripple from my stomach just now says otherwise. That said, I shall try to keep up and get there.

/see what I did there?
//anyone?

If you did what I think you just did, then OOH!! Nice play, there!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 06:10:21 PM »
You hate me anyhow. What's yer point? :)

I have a reason this time. :)

Honestly though, someone had to make the joke. You'd have been crazy not to.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022