Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dr. Oz Game Shows  (Read 4921 times)

Matt Ottinger

Dr. Oz Game Shows
« on: November 29, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »
Somebody on the Dr. Oz staff must be a real game show fan.  It's common late in the show for them to do some sort of simple game involving answers to health questions.  Every once in a while, they'll do something that is specifically based on a real game show, like a Pyramid game or something.  Monday I happened to catch, of all things, a Million Dollar Money Drop game.  They did it for real stakes (though only $500) and what I found interesting was how engaging it was even with a simple set and a smaller amount of cash on the line.  I'd love to see this tried again in some lower-stakes, faster-paced version.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Dr. Oz Game Shows
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »
Last season, I'm pretty sure that there was an episode where all the segments were audience-participation.  I only caught the back end of it, so I can't be sure, but there was definitely WHEEL! OF! PORTION! complete with crowd-shouting.  It certainly made my day a little brighter.
This signature is currently under construction.

Neumms

Dr. Oz Game Shows
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 01:47:54 PM »
I have only seen this on a muted TV at my neighborhood coffee shop, but Nate Berkus seems to be poaching The Price Is Right. Looked to be either "Give or Keep" or "Trader Bob" with knick-knacks. Maybe he'll do "Super Ball" or "Shower Game" next.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 01:48:29 PM by Neumms »

Fedya

Dr. Oz Game Shows
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 02:22:58 PM »
Maybe Dr. Oz can do a Liars' Club type segment telling us about the massive amounts of arsenic in our apple juice.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Dr. Oz Game Shows
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:21:23 PM »
Maybe Dr. Oz can do a Liars' Club type segment telling us about the massive amounts of arsenic in our apple juice.

Yes. Because this horse hasn't died enough yet.

[gSeriously.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dr. Oz Game Shows
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 10:23:05 PM »
Um, I think that was his point.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

Dr. Oz Game Shows
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 11:25:01 PM »
Um, I think that was his point.

If it was then he has a weird way of showing it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

BrandonFG

Dr. Oz Game Shows
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 11:27:32 PM »
I lol'd.

/The show is okay...the game segments seem fun
//Could really do without the scare tactics
///Leave that to us journalists!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PYLdude

Dr. Oz Game Shows
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 02:59:21 AM »
Going back to the Money Drop thing (and keep in mind I haven't really watched as much Dr. Oz since he moved to 4 PM in my area- don't ask me why, I don't know)...odd to see them playing for cash (if I'm reading it correctly). Usually it's just small stuff.

I will say this, though...the middle 20 minutes of the show I usually find to be the most entertaining.

geno57

Dr. Oz Game Shows
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 03:21:33 AM »
A couple of weeks ago, they did a Jeopardy! segment.  I was too busy at work, and couldn't pay much attention to it, but it looked good.

Fedya

Dr. Oz Game Shows
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 07:58:34 AM »

Considering the fear-mongering going on in the War on Salt has been going on for decades, I'd say that we need to keep ridiculing the people who foist these scare stories on us.  (I like to use the term "Smug Diet": people who think their particular dietary habits are more virtuous, and try to force them upon the rest of us.)

Leave that to us journalists!

I'd love to see a Youtube of you laughing on air at the lady reporter on your station who feeds the vodka-soaked tampons or other similar moral panic.  (Granted, I presume you don't want to get fired over something like that.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

tvwxman

Dr. Oz Game Shows
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 08:05:56 AM »
Recently, they did "Press Your Luck"....the whammy's were cheap imitations, and the audience was not buying it. They started throwing chairs and chanting "We want Peter! We want Peter!" I sware.

(They really did PYL.)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

PYLdude

Dr. Oz Game Shows
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 04:16:06 PM »

Considering the fear-mongering going on in the War on Salt has been going on for decades, I'd say that we need to keep ridiculing the people who foist these scare stories on us.  (I like to use the term "Smug Diet": people who think their particular dietary habits are more virtuous, and try to force them upon the rest of us.)

Okay. So you were being serious. My previous comment therefore stands.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dr. Oz Game Shows
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 04:19:41 PM »
ridiculing
Ridicule. Serious business.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Dr. Oz Game Shows
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 04:28:20 PM »

The man's got a point.  New York's health department needs to STFU.  If people want to eat a greasy order of onion rings, that should be their choice.  They shouldn't be able to dictate how food is prepared.
--Mark
Phil 4:13