Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guide to British Panel Shows  (Read 2132 times)

alfonzos

Guide to British Panel Shows
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:56:33 PM »
Link

FWIW, I found a VHS tape of Have I Got News For You at a thrift store only to get home to fund out it is in PAL format, not our NTSC format.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

DoItRockapella

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:26:23 PM »
A good thing for me to see, as I am going to be in London from January 6-9, 2012. I'm a big fan of British panel games and want to see one being taped.

I've checked many different British TV\radio ticket sites, but there don't seem to be any tapings listed yet on the four days I am able to see one. Any suggestions\recommendations? I've already found a friend in London who will mail me the tickets if the site won't ship to a US address.

Brig Bother

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:25:29 AM »
Well you can tell it's a US guide because some of the information is a bit, er, off...

tpirfan28

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 10:18:57 AM »
I wonder if Would You Rather and Wait, Wait are feelers for finally getting QI here...
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

DoItRockapella

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 05:31:37 PM »
Just requested tickets to BBC1's Pointless from SRO Audiences. It's not a panel game, but it's the only game show I can find taping during that time period.

Does anybody know how this works? Is it a random drawing? Are there paper tickets or will I get an email? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

vtown7

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 07:26:03 PM »
While not a panel show persay, Pointless is apparently taping while you're in the UK.  I hear it's great in person!

R.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:28:00 PM by vtown7 »

Brig Bother

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 05:05:32 AM »
Just requested tickets to BBC1's Pointless from SRO Audiences. It's not a panel game, but it's the only game show I can find taping during that time period.

Does anybody know how this works? Is it a random drawing? Are there paper tickets or will I get an email? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I gather most of these are first come first served, unless it's a ballot (which some popular shows have). You'll be e-mailed a ticket, but be aware they oversubscribe to take account of no shows so turn up 45-60 minutes early to get a seat (if you're travelling they *might* get you a priority ticket - seperate queue, guaranteed entry provided you turn up before a certain time).

If you apply through SRO then they're a good company. But if you don't hear anything for a number of weeks you've probably been unsuccessful.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 09:48:41 AM »
My e-tickets to Pointless arrived from SRO Audiences today. Again, not a panel game, but should be a lot of fun nonetheless.

Thank you all for your help!

vtown7

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 03:48:06 PM »
Rockapella - enjoy!  I have been to a few UK shows and always have enjoyed the experience.  The warm up comedians always are genuinely happy to hear that you are from the other side of the pond and that you have heard of the show you're at!

R.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 06:42:55 PM »
Just found an actual comedy panel show (though it may or may not be a comedy panel game) taping while I'm in London - Sky Atlantic's new show "New Britannia", hosted by, of all people, Morgan Spurlock (director of Super Size Me, The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, etc.)

According to Applause Store, the show "focuses on life in modern Britain seen from an American point of view" and features both US and UK comedians. Sounds good to me - I've already put in my ticket request.

EDIT: Just got an email from Applause Store with my tickets to New Britannia. I guess I'll find out if it's a game show.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 11:13:24 AM by DoItRockapella »