Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker on a postage stamp  (Read 8135 times)

J.R.

Bob Barker on a postage stamp
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 02:07:10 AM »
While I agree with that statement, I hesitate to call it an "invention," seeing as the iPod was not even remotely close to being the first MP3 player on the market. But otherwise, sure, no question. And I do applaud you for crediting it to the company as opposed to him personally.
Mark Odor and Chris Lemon agree on something?

Now THIS is a Christmas Miracle.

;-) ;-)
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2011, 02:17:24 AM »
Take away the goofy costumes and she's another forgettable cookie-cutter pop singer.
I respectfully invite you to view this, this or this to see what talent she does indeed have in more stripped down environments. :)
I should've prefaced my statement by saying I'm aware she's a good singer and that I like that she writes her own stuff. The costumes are still a bit of a turnoff IMO, but whatever works for her.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2011, 03:41:13 AM »
While I agree with that statement, I hesitate to call it an "invention," seeing as the iPod was not even remotely close to being the first MP3 player on the market. But otherwise, sure, no question. And I do applaud you for crediting it to the company as opposed to him personally.
Mark Odor and Chris Lemon agree on something?

Now THIS is a Christmas Miracle.

;-) ;-)

Watch it Joe, your head might asplode.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MyronMMeyer

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 09:45:42 AM »
Images of living persons cannot be on USPS-issued postage stamps.

Debate the use of "living" as it applies to Barker, if you must. Or "person," for that matter.

Or "cannot".

I believe this was the first time. It has happened a number of times since. Here is a more recent example. See if you can figure out what other thing the two stamps have in common.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:53:25 AM by MyronMMeyer »

TimK2003

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »
Images of living persons cannot be on USPS-issued postage stamps.

Debate the use of "living" as it applies to Barker, if you must. Or "person," for that matter.

Or "cannot".

I believe this was the first time. It has happened a number of times since. Here is a more recent example. See if you can figure out what other thing the two stamps have in common.

The way I read the "living person" definition for USPS-issued stamps is that if the stamp is actually acknowledging the person on the stamp by name, they must be deceased.  In the case of the "Heroes" stamp, and other stamps denoting specific events, places or organizations, they can use a living person's likeness, but cannot identify them by name.

MyronMMeyer

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 06:07:31 PM »
The way I read the "living person" definition for USPS-issued stamps is that if the stamp is actually acknowledging the person on the stamp by name, they must be deceased.  In the case of the "Heroes" stamp, and other stamps denoting specific events, places or organizations, they can use a living person's likeness, but cannot identify them by name.

And vice versa.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 06:35:57 PM »
Seriously, my mindset going into it has been a genuine effort to understand the "cult of Apple" and to figure out why the Apple fanb0i contingent were holding candlelight vigils and such when he kicked it, considering that in the last decade or so of his life, during the whole iPod era, he was really a pretty awful person.

Brilliant businessman
You may have answered your own question.

I'm also open to the idea that in order to do some of the things Jobs wanted to do, being an asshole was practically a job requirement.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 06:36:20 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »
Brilliant businessman
You may have answered your own question.
Yes, but to me that isn't a sufficient condition to merit nationwide candlelight vigils.

I'm also open to the idea that in order to do some of the things Jobs wanted to do, being an asshole was practically a job requirement.
Perhaps. There are a lot of anecdotes related in the book that point out assholery where it wasn't neessary in the least, though.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe