Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Happy Anniversary to a couple of great shows!  (Read 7106 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Happy Anniversary to a couple of great shows!
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 12:54:52 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly with Tim, adding that there's also a distinct lack of incentives -- opening Curtain #1 to show a set of Turtle Wax and offer that plus whatever's behind it, having the Big Box be (and represent a supply of) some Creamettes, or handing out cans of Poppycock popcorn/boxes of Andes chocolates and saying that there's something inside (and if you peek, then no deal for you).

Another problem is the long pauses and generic sounds. The Zonk sound is annoying, and there's no need to have the word "ZONK" plastered everywhere; if it's a Zonk, let it speak for itself.

The other thing is that Wayne doesn't have Monty's authoritarian style -- where Monty would say "And you have what's behind Curtain #2, and it's something for big babies!" (a giant set of strollers), Wayne just says "Open Curtain #2." and lets Mangum say what the prize is. He also says things like "We hope the Big Deal is (not) behind Door #x." and "WHO WANTS TO MAKE A DEAL?!" instead of "I'm gonna make a deal with you-you-you." (pointing to three people next to each other).

Without the air of authority and used-car salesman style of Monty Hall, Wayne Brady sounds like he's totally clueless.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 03:29:53 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
Wayne is a good host, but he just doesn't seem "in to it". Sometimes does an entire show in monotone, even after a big win. Maybe it's me.
It's not.  The other day, I caught a couple minutes, and Wayne actually managed to say "Wow" less enthusiastically than Drew.

I don't look at the show too often, but the few looks I do take are always enough to remind me why.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 02:16:02 PM »
•  Why you must have only one person do the Big Deal when it doesn't really cost you any extra $ -- especially if the 2 non-Big Deal prizes are equal to or less than the trader's original loot.
How does this work? Two players for the Big Deal means you pay off the big deal twice as often, plus you give out the consolation doors twice as much.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:16:32 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 09:09:58 AM »
Another problem is the long pauses and generic sounds. The Zonk sound is annoying and there's no need to have the word "ZONK" plastered everywhere; if it's a Zonk, let it speak for itself.
Why does the ZONK sign bother so many people here? On my meter of things that irritate me about this show (it's on at work as I type), that's extremely low on my list. The audience standing up and/or cheering for every. Single. THING? Now that is near the top, especially in the intro. It's one thing to give him a standing ovation when he walks in, but they do it when he's already standing at center stage. Makes no sense.

The one-person Big Deal that tries to build faux suspense. That's up there. The ZONK graphic? Nah, not as much, if at all.

FWIW, the sound effect reminds me a bit of the one used in the 80s version. It's goofy music to let you know you just got pwned.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 01:30:13 AM »
I've got two things to say, one for the direction that I inadvertently took this, and one for the original intention of this thread.

First, about my thing, gotta say this stunned me. I thought Wayne had been doing a better job in your eyes. Make no mistake, no one is ever going to make us forget Monty and his version of the show. It will always be the best. But I feel that to just dismiss it because "it's not Monty" isn't fair, and we've been down this road already with today's shows several times. I admit at first, I thought Wayne & Co. ran a very slow show, I wasn't keen on the zonk sign and the solo Big Deal, either. But I HAVE enjoyed the improv comedy, because it adds to the banter that Wayne does with the contestants, which I feel he does do well and does show that he cares what happens to them. I think the original games they have are real good (and Beat The Dealer & the Cash Register/Board are still there). They have picked up pace this season a bit. And while yeah, they do like most shows today do and find more excuse to have the audience going nuts for everything, that's just today's audience. It's a weaker measuring stick for sure, but I still feel that the current version is doing pretty well for what it is and will continue to do so. They have to be doing something right or else Les would've given his wife even more airtime long before now.

Overall, is this more a question that you don't like the show today as a whole package, or just Wayne's style of presenting it?

While we ponder that, let me try to bring this back to the original topic.

I agree that The Big Showdown was terribly underrated, as was Jim Peck, who I still stick with as my most underrated host. The game was a great strategic rapid-fire quizzer. The dice game, while a little offbeat to the rest of the show, still kept true to the payoff point concept. (How much more could you do with the trivia anyway?) I could totally see it in today's market, but it would have to be on cable, I think, because in syndication, too many people would say it's too much like Jeopardy. (Here we go again with being hardened on the classics.) Overall, it made my Top 50, and maybe one day, I might duplicate it on the anime circuit.

Moneymaze, I wasn't as keen on, but I got the niche behind it. If it were revived today, I'd see it more as a kids game. The gimmick doesn't feel like it plays as well to adults. I'd still take a crack at it anyway, of course. :)
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

Sodboy13

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 02:08:56 AM »
I was born in 1978, and therefore very unfamiliar with The Big Showdown and almost wholly unaware of it before I found this board.  I've only seen "The Big Falldown" episode, but man, did that ever give me an appetite for more.  The format and gimmick are engaging and unique enough to keep the game from being boring or repetitive while adding some unique strategy.  Plus, it's still straightforward enough to not veer off into Jay Wolpert WTF-ville.  Sure, the bonus round is pure luck.  But it's fun to watch, and I don't see all that much wrong with maingame victory being rewarded with a well-chromed game of chance for extra winnings.

Yes, Jeopardy! has withstood the test of time.  But if I had the choice when in the mood for a rapid-fire quizzer, I'd take The Big Showdown, Split Second, or $ale of the Century/Aussie Temptation over the big J any day of the week.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:10:21 AM by Sodboy13 »
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 02:14:43 AM »
Yes, Jeopardy! has withstood the test of time.  But if I had the choice when in the mood for a rapid-fire quizzer, I'd take The Big Showdown, Split Second, or $ale of the Century/Aussie Temptation over the big J any day of the week.
I'm almost there with you. There was a period in the mid-2000s when life wasn't exactly taking and so I was able to consume rather a lot of Australian game shows and other content, but I never thought of ordering the shows as Those and then Jeopardy. What makes you put 'em that way?

/I really can't quibble with your choices there in terms of what to watch, though. Not a one.
//on short call for trivia game night I have an envelope with questions for Big Showdown, Challengers, Sale of the Century, but not Split Second.
Travis L. Eberle

Sodboy13

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 02:39:34 AM »
Honestly, it might just be a matter of availability and/or novelty, in the sense that I've seen such a relatively small amount of the other shows.  To some extent, Jeopardy might be a victim of its consistent success, just because it always has been the same thing with so little variation for so long.  (That, and the way it seems exciting finishes have become more of an exception than a rule over the years. Final Jeopardy so often feels like Contestant's Row, with its own version of the $1 maneuver.)  Jeopardy will give me my hardcore trivia fix, but I feel like the other shows also satisfy the craving while having some more engaging fun packed in.  The risk/reward aspect of $ale, the question structure of Split Second, and the presentation and strategy of Showdown make each a more enjoyable viewing experience for me.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:40:10 AM by Sodboy13 »
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Ian Wallis

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 11:50:04 AM »
and therefore very unfamiliar with The Big Showdown and almost wholly unaware of it before I found this board. I've only seen "The Big Falldown" episode, but man, did that ever give me an appetite for more.

I think that's the only episode I've seen as well.  Unfortunately the show wasn't carried by my closest ABC affiliate, and trying to pull in the more distant one that aired it didn't work out too well.  I have a better memory of Money Maze, only because I was able to watch it - the show was tape-delayed to the next morning in my area.

Would love to see more of both shows.  Only one episode of each is in the trade curcuit.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!