Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 90s "21" Pilot  (Read 4671 times)

JepMasta

90s "21" Pilot
« on: December 04, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could confirm or deny a news story I remember hearing as a youngster.  Back in the mid 90s I would listen to the "John Boy & Billy" radio show as I got ready for School each morning.  Well at each half-hour the radio station would do a quick news roundup.  Well, the weird thing is, I seem to remember that the anchor mentioned (I want to say in 1997, but then again, IDK) that IIRC "The classic 50s game show '21' is going to be revived this fall.   According to reports it will be hosted by Wink Martindale."  For the life of me, I can't seem to find any info about it on the intertubes.  Now I should mention, this was probably something I dreamed up due to lack of sleep, but any info would be highly appreciated.

Cheers

Brian~

Robert Carter

90s "21" Pilot
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 12:04:58 AM »
It ended up being Jim Lange, and there's video somewhere on YouTube. The pilot did not sell, of course.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
90s "21" Pilot
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 01:01:06 AM »
It ended up being Jim Lange, and there's video somewhere on YouTube. The pilot did not sell, of course.
Also, that one was 1982, nowhere remotely near the 1990s.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
90s "21" Pilot
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 03:26:09 AM »
And deservedly so. Jim Lange, however, did a masterful job as emcee given all the language he had to rattle off and the less-than-straightforward format.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
90s "21" Pilot
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 03:59:55 AM »
And deservedly so. Jim Lange, however, did a masterful job as emcee given all the language he had to rattle off and the less-than-straightforward format.

"Less than straightforward"? I wonder what brings you to that conclusion- basically, it's five rounds and if you don't get to 21 within those five rounds or stop the game beforehand, we keep playing until you do. Seems pretty straightforward to me, unless I'm missing something (which, as we've seen with me over the years, is a possibility).

Of course, that's not to say Jim Lange's 21 deserved to get a pickup, because there were quite a few things wrong with it (the superfluous question system- a Lazy Susan? Really?- and the oh so B&E tacked on bonus round that had nothing to do with the basic game at all (questions to get to 21 vs. random blind-assed luck to get there).

/"oh so B&E"- I will make that a catchphrase one of these days.
/I will dammit! ;)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
90s "21" Pilot
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 11:23:33 AM »
"Less than straightforward"? I wonder what brings you to that conclusion-
The per-point payout rules.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

90s "21" Pilot
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 04:48:45 PM »
For some reason, I do recall seeing a proposed "21" revival sometime in the late-1990s, but don't remember there being a host considered. Perhaps right around the time a new "Sale of the Century" was being mulled with Robin Leach (and no Instant Bargains). FWIW, I believe it was well before "Millionaire" or the Povich version premiered.

My memory is very hazy, but I really wanna say I remember seeing the idea come up.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jamey Greek

90s "21" Pilot
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 05:31:51 PM »
I think Wink was considered for 21 (2000) I remember Tammy Warner mentioning it to her on her tribute page to Wink.  Also, Wink was hosting Trivial Pursuit at the time when that supposed mid-90s revival had happened and he was trying to get the show sold in syndication.  So there's no way it could have been him.

Sodboy13

90s "21" Pilot
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 11:48:16 PM »
a new "Sale of the Century" was being mulled with Robin Leach (and no Instant Bargains).
Sometimes, I'm so glad things don't happen.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

J.R.

90s "21" Pilot
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 12:07:27 AM »
I think Wink was considered for 21 (2000) I remember Tammy Warner mentioning it to her on her tribute page to Wink.
If Tammy Warner said it, it must be true.
-Joe Raygor

Sodboy13

90s "21" Pilot
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 12:50:16 AM »
I think Wink was considered for 21 (2000) I remember Tammy Warner mentioning it to her on her tribute page to Wink.
If Tammy Warner said it, it must be true.
"Hey, Dickie Dunn wrote this!"
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
90s "21" Pilot
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 03:46:56 AM »
I think Wink was considered for 21 (2000) I remember Tammy Warner mentioning it to her on her tribute page to Wink.  Also, Wink was hosting Trivial Pursuit at the time when that supposed mid-90s revival had happened and he was trying to get the show sold in syndication.  So there's no way it could have been him.

Considering Wink stopped hosting Trivial Pursuit in 1995, not 1997, I don't see how that would've been a problem.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

MikeK

• Martha!
90s "21" Pilot
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »
Considering Wink stopped hosting Trivial Pursuit in 1995, not 1997, I don't see how that would've been a problem.
1993.  There was only one series of Trivial Pursuit episodes.  Reruns ran from late '93/early '94 to 1995.

The Pyramids

90s "21" Pilot
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 03:18:07 PM »

When Steve Beverly put Povich on his 'worst emcee's' list I believe he too claimed that Wink was considered for the NBC revival as well.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
90s "21" Pilot
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 07:08:25 PM »
When Steve Beverly put Povich on his 'worst emcee's' list I believe he too claimed that Wink was considered for the NBC revival as well.

He did? I must've forgotten that after all these years. I thought Maury did a fine-to-pretty good job on that show.
@lambertman