Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pricing Games That Require No Knowledge  (Read 7416 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Pricing Games That Require No Knowledge
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:24:59 PM »
Am I correct in saying that Bonkers, Race Game, and Clock Game would be the only pricing games that even with no knowledge of prices, are guaranteed wins just by using process of elimination logic?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:29:05 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:29:06 PM »
With Clock Game I'd still argue you have to have a general idea of the price range, even though the rest is putting 2+2 together from "higher/lower". Otherwise, I'd add Plinko or Dice Game to the list for a similar reason.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

William_S.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:34:56 PM »
I'd add Plinko or Dice Game to the list for a similar reason.
Yeah, for Dice: just get aces or boxcars and you're set! Plinko: you still have to figure out the right number in the price.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »
If the question is about pricing games that are GUARANTEED wins with logic instead of knowledge, that rules out Plinko or Dice Game, since those are games that you CAN luck in to a win.

Cliff Hangers has been suspected to be one of these games. Supposedly 20-30-40 or 25-35-45 will get you a win every time.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »
With Clock Game I'd still argue you have to have a general idea of the price range, even though the rest is putting 2+2 together from "higher/lower". Otherwise, I'd add Plinko or Dice Game to the list for a similar reason.
Dice Game still isn't a win with process of elimination logic; you can still get a 5 and be screwed by a 6.
Plinko's pricing portion is most definitely not something that you can win with logic and no knowledge of prices. You have to get five chips and still look to the sky for five $10K hits.

Maybe I should clarify: If you have no knowledge of prices at all...what games are guaranteed wins by just using logic...not the 20-30-40 rule in Cliff Hangers or the zero rule in Ten Chances? If I've never seen The Price is Right before, and someone explains the rules to a pricing game to me, what games can I win without knowing a thing about pricing items?

Race Game: You can be playing the game with colors instead of prices and call it 45 second mastermind; if you pay attention to the number you have right, the game should be winnable in about 5 tries.

Clock Game: I guess if you started your pricing at a million dollars, then yeah, the game's not winnable. The host saying Higher or Lower does not always hint to the magnitude of how much lower or higher...but this game should be winnable if a player knows how to properly zero in on a price.

Bonkers: Because there are 16 different combinations and only 30 seconds, you could play this one as quickly as possible and still lose, so this one's my fault since it wouldn't be totally winnable.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:52:13 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 08:49:25 PM »
Who's Still Standing.  Oh, you said PRICING games.

/Just you wait, west coast.

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:03:18 PM »
If retired games count, you'd win Professor Price if you got all three general knowledge questions right, regardless of whether or not you got the two "Is this number in the price of the car?" questions.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 09:10:47 PM »
Am I correct in saying that Bonkers, Race Game, and Clock Game would be the only pricing games that even with no knowledge of prices, are guaranteed wins just by using process of elimination logic?
I question whether you could do enough checks for either Bonkers or Race Game.
Travis L. Eberle

cool245

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 09:15:28 PM »
I would say Hole in One. You could miss all the prices and have to putt from the first line, but if you were a good putter you would almost guarantee yourself a win.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 09:26:07 PM »
I question whether you could do enough checks for either Bonkers or Race Game.
Bonkers? Definitely not. But Race gives you an additional 15 seconds AND you have the luxury of knowing how many are right.

In Race Game (and correct me if I'm wrong), you just need to have one right to get somewhere:

When you have one right, make switches, pulling the lever after each (and at most, it should take two) to get to two right.

Once you have two right, make one tag swap and pull the lever. If it goes back down to 1, switch those tags back and make a different tag swap. Do this until you have 4...or zero, in which case it becomes obvious what the right combo is. It's a lot less complicated than I make it sound.

If retired games count, you'd win Professor Price if you got all three general knowledge questions right, regardless of whether or not you got the two "Is this number in the price of the car?" questions.

(sigh) Games won by logic and deduction. Assume this person playing these games has never seen the show, and only knows the rules based on host explanation. What games could they guarantee themselves a win in?

No general knowledge questions. (Professor Price)
No physical requirements. (Super Ball, On The Spot, Hole In One)
No prior knowledge of show tendencies. (Ten Chances, Cliff Hangers)
No "I did nothing right in the first half, yet backed into a victory" games. (Let Em Roll, Pass The Buck, Hole In One, etc.)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:34:24 PM by Jeremy Nelson »

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 09:30:09 PM »
It could still take four tries to win from the first 2 with that method.  (Swap A with B, get 1, unswap them and then swap A and C, still get 1, unswap them and then swap A and D, get 0, unswap them and then swap B and C.)  

If we assume it took us two tries to get from 1 to 2, and it easily could have taken two tries to even get 1, that makes eight tries, which is way too many to do in 45 seconds.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 09:30:43 PM by Mr. Armadillo »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 09:50:23 PM »

I'm guessing my opinion of the show is slightly higher than yours.
This signature is currently under construction.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »

There has to be one in every crowd.

The nicest thing I can say about it is it's Game Shows for Dummies...for Dummies.  I'll wait for a dedicated thread to show up instead of taking this thread further off-course.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 09:58:32 PM »

There has to be one in every crowd.

The nicest thing I can say about it is it's Game Shows for Dummies...for Dummies.  I'll wait for a dedicated thread to show up instead of taking this thread further off-course.
Starting one now over in Show Summaries. I'll post in a couple.
EDIT: Hold that thought. Just realized that the West Coast would just NOW be getting the episode. See you in an hour.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 10:05:59 PM by Jeremy Nelson »

dale_grass

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 10:17:39 PM »
What games could they guarantee themselves a win in?
That was the third time in as many posts you referred to a guaranteed win, which don't exist (games that are always won tend to be anticlimatic and a drain on the budget).  If there were no time limits, then yeah, Race Game, Clock Game, and Bonkers would be guaranteed wins.  

That being said, Clock Game should be won damn near every time.  Start with a reasonable bid that's a multiple of 100; climb or lower until Drew switches what he says; guess the x50 in between; then the tens on whatever side of the x50 is appropriate until Drew switches again, then the ones.  Prices ending in 49 or 99 would take the longest to get with this method, but laboratory tests* show it can be accomplished in under 15 seconds.

\If the laboratory were my living room last spring, and the test subjects some friends.
\\And the pearly gates are the *chhhhhhhhhhhhh*