Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Card Sharks Question  (Read 2115 times)

JepMasta

A Card Sharks Question
« on: December 25, 2011, 02:23:42 PM »
Hey guys, totally weird, off-the-wall question but here it is.

I was YouTubing a few days ago and saw the famous clip from Card Sharks where they showed how they shuffle the big cards, but here's something I've been wondering, just how many decks did they have on hand for a standard episode?  Also, does anyone know if a real playing card company made those cards, or were they probably just made by the CBS Art Department?

Thanks in advance

Brian~

//I will make YouTubing a word some day, just you WAIT!
///MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
A Card Sharks Question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 01:42:50 AM »
If I'm producing the show I have no fewer than two standby decks in each color. One complete deck so you can swap them out, and another one so that when a card gets disqualified due to wear and/or tear that there's one to replace it. (And then you put in a call to the art department to make another three of clubs post haste.)
Travis L. Eberle

wdm1219inpenna

A Card Sharks Question
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 05:18:39 AM »
I know very often on Perry's version he would say "2 brand new decks of cards."  I would hope, and at least assume that they perhaps had at least 1 "back up" deck for each color for the main game.  Then there are the Money Cards, a separate deck of red cards (to me the Money Cards should have had their own color, like green for example).  I imagine they had at least one "back up" up deck there too.  Also, often there would be 2 matches played per day, or at least a part of 2 matches played per day, and presumably a new red deck for whoever the champion is would be available to be cut to start the next match, as well as another new blue deck for the next challenger who would be "waiting in the wings" to play.  So I would imagine they had about 8 decks in use total, plus some "back up" decks in case a card was damaged somehow.

I'd LOVE to know whatever became of those cards after the show went off on both NBC & CBS.  Did those respective art departments/Goodson-Todman KEEP those big cards for future use?  Were they resurrected for when Ricki Lake did the Game Show Marathon?

I love questions like this.  To answer the original question, I am postulating 8 decks, 5 red and 3 blue.  Again, just my educated guess.

Unrealtor

A Card Sharks Question
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:23:15 PM »
Wasn't it mentioned on air a couple of times that each contestant cut their own deck for both the front game and the money cards? If that's the case, then you'd want one more red deck on hand at all times.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

golden-road

A Card Sharks Question
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 08:42:11 PM »
I'd LOVE to know whatever became of those cards after the show went off on both NBC & CBS.  Did those respective art departments/Goodson-Todman KEEP those big cards for future use?  Were they resurrected for when Ricki Lake did the Game Show Marathon?

I believe Bob Boden has the CS decks, and the CBS(?) art department based the GSM CS decks off of those.