Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: for NPR "Sunday Puzzle" listeners  (Read 2307 times)

narzo

for NPR "Sunday Puzzle" listeners
« on: December 31, 2011, 12:05:54 PM »
No clue how many here are regular listeners of "Sunday Edition" on NPR and to Wil Shortz and the "puzzle" segment, but I'm one of those listeners who goes back to the sending in post-card days.  When Liane Hansen retired I was willing to give Audie Cornish every chance to fit in as host of the legendary show, and segment, and I resisted complaining when she (in my opinion) stunk from the get-go but let it be.  

Well Wil Shortz has posted on his twitter he has taped his final segment with Ms. Cornish as she's "..."been stolen away for 'All Things Considered.' " (I'm sure NPR would phrase it differently)

Let's hope the new host can put some life back into the segment.  Audie was the prime example of one with no ability to banter or ad-lib and, I don't think, really cared about puzzles at all.  Her chemistry with Will Shortz was non-existant and I can't help but wonder if it hasn't been the reason for the seeming loss of people sending in guesses to the puzzles.  It used to be "we had over 1500 entrys last week" but these days it's a fraction of what it was.  

-Shawn (MPR listener AND member)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:06:56 PM by narzo »

mmb5

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 02:06:31 PM »
The Audie era is temporarily over.  She'll be the permanent fill-in for Michele Norris while Norris' husband is working on the Obama re-election campaign.  This article is clear that it is temporary.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:48:47 PM »
No clue how many here are regular listeners of "Sunday Edition" on NPR and to Wil Shortz and the "puzzle" segment, but I'm one of those listeners who goes back to the sending in post-card days.  When Liane Hansen retired I was willing to give Audie Cornish every chance to fit in as host of the legendary show, and segment, and I resisted complaining when she (in my opinion) stunk from the get-go but let it be.  

Well Wil Shortz has posted on his twitter he has taped his final segment with Ms. Cornish as she's "..."been stolen away for 'All Things Considered.' " (I'm sure NPR would phrase it differently)

Let's hope the new host can put some life back into the segment.  Audie was the prime example of one with no ability to banter or ad-lib and, I don't think, really cared about puzzles at all.  Her chemistry with Will Shortz was non-existant and I can't help but wonder if it hasn't been the reason for the seeming loss of people sending in guesses to the puzzles.  It used to be "we had over 1500 entrys last week" but these days it's a fraction of what it was.  

-Shawn (MPR listener AND member)
Not a Cornish Game Fan?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

davemackey

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 01:53:08 PM »
As a bit of a side note to this discussion, since Liane Hansen is now rid of her NPR duties, she's going to be doing the live commentary for the championship rounds of the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament (a Will Shortz production) in March, replacing another NPR personality, Neal Conan.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 05:59:57 PM »
As a bit of a side note to this discussion, since Liane Hansen is now rid of her NPR duties, she's going to be doing the live commentary for the championship rounds of the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament (a Will Shortz production) in March, replacing another NPR personality, Neal Conan.

As far as Liane is concerned, Neal isn't just "another NPR personality". :P

I do recall Audie saying early on that she didn't consider herself that good at the puzzle.....
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.