Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Name change in store  (Read 8679 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Name change in store
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 02:17:15 AM »
A place in my hometown did something similar.  For years they were a Bonanza franchise.  They went local and changed to 'heartland steak and buffet'.  Years later they reverted to being Bonanza again, but they only lasted a couple more years.

I suspect people's expectations were tempered when they saw how much Bonanza had changed since the intial conversion.

As our other Sioux Falls resident may attest too, a former Taco Bell (original motif) is now Nicks Gyros.  I meant to take a picture before moving but didn't have the time.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Name change in store
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 02:30:16 AM »
Here's one for you- there was this one place near the mall I shop at most often. Years ago it was a Roy Rogers. It was closed and became a Burger King years later. The Burger King eventually closed as well and was replaced by a mortgage lender's office- keeping the Burger King sign post AND the drive-thru window. There's an Entenmann's bakery outlet that occupies the store now- I don't know if the drive thru window is still there. Another one involves a gas station with the Woroco brand (anybody else heard of Woroco outside of the area) that used to be a Shell and can still be identified as such due to a sloppy paint job on the Shell sign that lets it bleed through.

One I wish I took pictures of was this one establishment that currently houses a Peruvian restaurant about six blocks away from me. For years, it was Domino's. When Domino's closed it became "Dom No's". Domino's went after them and they had to change the name. So ends part one.

Part two comes later. A green awning was hung over the pizza place that became "Nick's", then "Fela's". After the restaurant became the Peruvian restaurant, there was a sign in the window that identified it as such. However, they failed to indicate that on the sign, so the place was called "Fogon's Pizzeria" on the outside and "El Fogon" on the window. Yeah.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

NickS

Name change in store
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »
Another one from Williamsport...

Hardee's restaurant - It closed, and reopened as "Tami's Fast Fixin's", closed, and reopened AGAIN, as Hardee's

Oddly enough, that's actually happening out here, except the former Hardee's was a Dunkin Donuts... and will reopen as a Hardee's.

mmb5

Name change in store
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 10:31:29 AM »
I can probably guarantee I'm the only person on this board who can say the Hardee's they worked at in high school eventually became a food establishment that featured muskrat.

/I was going to put "muskrat restaurant" but that could have meant muskrats came there to eat.  They wouldn't have got much business anyway from the local muskrats, they were too far away from the river.
//The McDonald's became an art supply store.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:31:52 AM by mmb5 »
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

Name change in store
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 11:01:43 AM »
/I was going to put "muskrat restaurant" but that could have meant muskrats came there to eat.  They wouldn't have got much business anyway from the local muskrats, they were too far away from the river.
The food wasn't bad, but having that stupid Captain and Tennille song on an endless loop is what killed it.

//The McDonald's became an art supply store.
We had one that became a used car dealer.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Fedya

Name change in store
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »
Matt Ottinger wrote:

The food wasn't bad, but having that stupid Captain and Tennille song on an endless loop is what killed it.

(Certainly you didn't have some other song in mind, now?  And what's the deal with those muffs on the sleeves anyhow?)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Name change in store
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »
Another one from Williamsport...

Hardee's restaurant - It closed, and reopened as "Tami's Fast Fixin's", closed, and reopened AGAIN, as Hardee's

Oddly enough, that's actually happening out here, except the former Hardee's was a Dunkin Donuts... and will reopen as a Hardee's.

I'll see your Hardee's->Dunkin' Donuts->Hardee's and raise you the Burger Chef->Hardee's->Burger King->Hardee's in Hazel Park.
Bobby Peacock

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Name change in store
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 04:44:15 PM »
I'll see your Hardee's->Dunkin' Donuts->Hardee's and raise you the Burger Chef->Hardee's->Burger King->Hardee's in Hazel Park.

I fold.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Name change in store
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 04:44:22 PM »
The Burger King eventually closed as well and was replaced by a mortgage lender's office- keeping the Burger King sign post AND the drive-thru window.
"Can I get a refinance, a line of credit and a double burger with bacon?"
Travis L. Eberle

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Name change in store
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012, 07:09:12 PM »
The Burger King eventually closed as well and was replaced by a mortgage lender's office- keeping the Burger King sign post AND the drive-thru window.
"Can I get a refinance, a line of credit and a double burger with bacon?"
"No thanks, I don't need a drink.  I'm already underwater."
This signature is currently under construction.