Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Panel Quiz Attack 25: The Board Game  (Read 2365 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Panel Quiz Attack 25: The Board Game
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:38:43 AM »
After getting a sudden rush of creative juices on this lazy Sunday afternoon, I decided to create a home version of one of my favorite foreign quiz shows, Japan's Panel Quiz Attack 25.

For those unfamiliar with it, it's basically Blockbusters meets Othello, plus an additional player (4 players head-to-head). A question is read. Player with the correct answer chooses a square on a 5x5 board to change to their color. If a player brackets an opposing color with their own, those bracketed colors are captured (like In Othello). Play continues until all 25 squares are claimed. Winner is the player with the most claimed squares.

Ingredients for my home version:
- Puzzle board and numbered squares from Endless Concentration
- 10-second sand timer from Flippin' Out, a Scattergories clone from Endless
- Quizzard and three additional question books
- Puzzles and prizes from the now-cannibalized Concentration (reverse side of prize tiles are the white player's pieces)

The only difference in my game is the final round. On the show, the winner plays for a trip to a location, video of which is chromakeyed onto the board. The player can only see the video through the squares he/she captured in the main game, and has 10 seconds to identify the mystery location once the video is done. I kept the Concentration rebuses, so that instead of a video, the winner has 10 seconds to solve the partially-revealed rebus.

Here's a picture of the whole setup: http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9813/1325482007791.jpg

I'm pretty proud of it, and we're going to give it a try at my game night tomorrow. What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:41:06 AM by DoorNumberFour »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 08:03:50 AM »
After getting a sudden rush of creative juices on this lazy Sunday afternoon, I decided to create a home version of one of my favorite foreign quiz shows, Japan's Panel Quiz Attack 25.

For those unfamiliar with it, it's basically Blockbusters meets Othello, plus an additional player (4 players head-to-head). A question is read. Player with the correct answer chooses a square on a 5x5 board to change to their color. If a player brackets an opposing color with their own, those bracketed colors are captured (like In Othello). Play continues until all 25 squares are claimed. Winner is the player with the most claimed squares.

Ingredients for my home version:
- Puzzle board and numbered squares from Endless Concentration
- 10-second sand timer from Flippin' Out, a Scattergories clone from Endless
- Quizzard and three additional question books
- Puzzles and prizes from the now-cannibalized Concentration (reverse side of prize tiles are the white player's pieces)

The only difference in my game is the final round. On the show, the winner plays for a trip to a location, video of which is chromakeyed onto the board. The player can only see the video through the squares he/she captured in the main game, and has 10 seconds to identify the mystery location once the video is done. I kept the Concentration rebuses, so that instead of a video, the winner has 10 seconds to solve the partially-revealed rebus.

Here's a picture of the whole setup: http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9813/1325482007791.jpg

I'm pretty proud of it, and we're going to give it a try at my game night tomorrow. What do you think?

Dayumn, that's nifty.  I might have to make one of my own.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

William_S.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:50:48 AM »
hmMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm.. Never thought about making a board game version. I say CHEERS!! to ya! Really good Idea you got there!!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 12:38:26 PM »
Slight update to the contents of my game:

- The picture viewer from Picture Pursuit

The show has quite a few visual/picture identification questions -- in fact, each show opens with one. I was having trouble figuring out a way to convert this into a board game device, until I stumbled upon this piece of crap game at my local Goodwill. The picture viewer, arguably the most useful part of the game (questions are hopelessly dated), works perfectly.

Still waiting to try this baby out. If anyone's in the area (southern CT) and is interested in playing a round, let me know.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 03:26:52 AM »
Nice job! Did pretty much the same thing with mine - only I used the Pressman Classic Concentration board. Attempted to create specialty puzzles for the bonus round using clip art images (poison bottle, dagger, hearts, balcony, picture of Shakespeare = Romeo and Juliet), but my computer skills aren't that sharp. Instead, decided to use a wipe-off board that fits behind the concentration board window and write down a secret phrase (like a Wheel Of Fortune puzzle). If you can guess the phrase based on what is revealed, you win a cash "bonus". Always neat to see the creativity in the group. Keep at it!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:31:23 AM by The Ol' Guy »