Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Press Your Luck and Let's Make A Deal Games on Facebook  (Read 7136 times)

knagl

• Executive Producer
Press Your Luck and Let's Make A Deal Games on Facebook
« on: January 06, 2012, 03:16:49 PM »
Apologies if this has been discussed in another thread -- I took a quick look and didn't see any threads about it.

Anyone here playing the new PYL and LMAD games on Facebook?  They're not terrible, and I was pleased to see (and hear) that PYL is using the original gameboard and sounds.  I'm sure I'll get tired of both games in a few weeks, but for now they're fun to play.

I was also amused to see a mention of the Flokati Rug during one of the "loading" screens:

http://i43.tinypic.com/de0391.png

pacdude

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:21:31 PM »
Apologies if this has been discussed in another thread -- I took a quick look and didn't see any threads about it.

Anyone here playing the new PYL and LMAD games on Facebook?  They're not terrible, and I was pleased to see (and hear) that PYL is using the original gameboard and sounds.  I'm sure I'll get tired of both games in a few weeks, but for now they're fun to play.

I was also amused to see a mention of the Flokati Rug during one of the "loading" screens:

http://i43.tinypic.com/de0391.png

Clearly, you posted this before you played PYL. That game is as much PYL as Numberwang is Countdown. I feel as if the big board is slightly more interactive than the DVD PYL game, which is to say, that pressing your buzzer does nothing more than forward the game to a random square, regardless of what's highlighted when you press the button.

Rubbish.

/LMAD is quite good, though.
//love its fake Bejeweled game

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 04:42:09 PM »
Now see, I think it's the other way around. Facebook games (with the exception of perhaps Deal or No Deal and Wheel, among those that aren't carbon copies of the video games on which they're based) aren't made to be carbon copies of the game show themselves. As such I think calling the PYL game "rubbish" is being quite ridiculous. It is by far the better of the two games because it doesn't look like they bothered to put a whole lot of effort into the LMAD game.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
Now see, I think it's the other way around. Facebook games (with the exception of perhaps Deal or No Deal and Wheel, among those that aren't carbon copies of the video games on which they're based) aren't made to be carbon copies of the game show themselves. As such I think calling the PYL game "rubbish" is being quite ridiculous. It is by far the better of the two games because it doesn't look like they bothered to put a whole lot of effort into the LMAD game.

What it "looks like" is not particularly relevant to the discussion.  Let's Make a Deal was never anything more than "Pick the box with the car, not the box with the goat."  PYL has some controllable luck, though.  And without this, any interest I have in playing the game goes out the window.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 01:07:39 AM »

What it "looks like" is not particularly relevant to the discussion.  Let's Make a Deal was never anything more than "Pick the box with the car, not the box with the goat."  PYL has some controllable luck, though.  And without this, any interest I have in playing the game goes out the window.

Okay. Fair point. Now this challenging a position I like. Defends his own without being overly insulting.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Clay Zambo

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 10:00:11 AM »
Seems to me that PYL is a perfectly adequate adaptation of the TV game onto Facebook's platform.  (I hadn't noticed the lag time between button-press and board-stop, but if there is such I wrote it off to network traffic.)  Sure, in the TV game questions were worth SPINS rather than dollars, but to play the FB game that way, either everybody who answered a question would get to spin, which seems unwieldy.

If there's anything I'd care to snark about it's the content of the questions.  I realize that all the questions are easy if you know the answers, and I don't mind being wrong, but I seem to have gotten more than my share of questions about the cover images of video game packages, which hardly seem like "general knowledge."  When one of these comes up there might as well be a randomly flashing light pattern helping me choose an answer...

An amusing game but I can see myself tiring of it pretty quickly.
czambo@mac.com

JepMasta

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »
Okay, where can I play LMAD?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »
Okay, where can I play LMAD?
It is moments like this that I am sad there is not a LetMeFacebookSearchBarThatForYou.com.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 01:42:42 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 01:57:02 PM »
It is moments like this that I am sad there is not a LetMeFacebookSearchBarThatForYou.com.
To be fair, there are times where I have entered the most likely search query ("let's make a deal," for instance) but what I was looking for was nowhere in the top search suggestions, or there are duplications not related to the real thing. The game is located here.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 03:13:56 PM »
To be fair, there are times where I have entered the most likely search query ("let's make a deal," for instance) but what I was looking for was nowhere in the top search suggestions, or there are duplications not related to the real thing. The game is located here.
Which is why I checked before I typed that. Third freakin' hit, without even having to hit Enter on the search.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 06:34:03 PM »
The problem is that JepMasta only mastered Jep.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

JepMasta

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 07:39:46 PM »
Big mistake on my part, should have looked closer.  I apologize.

thewhammy_2000

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 02:08:59 AM »
One of my friends played PYL this week, and since PYL is my favorite game show of all, I gave it a shot. For a moment, I thought it was another one of those slots games, but was okayed that it was another bonus slots mini-games. The questioning was reminiscent of how the Millionaire Facebook game with the money tree and the option to pass/jump the question. The Whammy element is good because it gives the player the option to take a pass (with the real Pass sound) or gut guess, hoping not to Whammy out. I've became one of the top 3 in every game so far, meaning I got to play the Board with the second sound with 5 spins.

To me, this ranks right between the Newton DVD game and the 2010 Edition. It cannot get any better, but it is not as bad as the Newton DVD. Still good enough for daily play for me.

I have not tried LMAD yet. I was ready to check it out when I got a mention of it a few weeks ago, but the game was not ready yet.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »
One of my friends played PYL this week, and since PYL is my favorite game show of all, I gave it a shot.
A.  Given your username, I would have thought your favorite game show was Beat the Odds.
B.  Your standards are real low if the 2010 game is even respectable.
C.  The question round is like Millionaire because it came from the same folks who did the Millionaire FB game, our good friends at Ludia.

The Whammy element is good because it gives the player the option to take a pass (with the real Pass sound) or gut guess, hoping not to Whammy out.

D.  What the heck is that supposed to mean?
E.  I need some aspirin after the headdesking done just now.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 04:52:53 PM »
Wow.

If he likes the game, let it be. No need to be so hard on someone for not having the same popular opinion as most people.