Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How would a 24-year old ep of Double Dare look to a 24-year old?  (Read 8531 times)

MyronMMeyer

How would a 24-year old ep of Double Dare look to a 24-year old?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 06:31:36 PM »
and I laugh at the Crystal Pepsi,
ALL of you get off my lawn. I actively miss Crystal Pepsi. That stuff was *great*.
But good god Diet Crystal Pepsi sucked.  I remember them handing out samples at the grocery store I worked at back then - it sure wasn't around long.

I have a full, unopened bottle of Diet Crystal Pepsi in my home right now.

TimK2003

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 08:17:13 PM »
*/I also concur on just how bad Alf really was

The sitcom or the Saturday Morning Cartoon?

/Alf did a better job at hosting Hollywood Squares than John Davidson, IMHO.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 12:48:43 AM »
I have a full, unopened bottle of Diet Crystal Pepsi in my home right now.

I don't remember ever having Crystal Pepsi, but I found an empty bottle of it in the garage before we moved.

Also found a whole bunch of empty Pepsi Blue cans. That was the only Pepsi product I found drinkable after I became a diehard Coke drinker.

And damn, do I miss Josta.
Bobby Peacock

tvmitch

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 04:40:49 PM »
Double Dare was just so good for this 8-year old in 1989. Maybe because the TV only got 30 cable channels, maybe because I was always a game show fan, maybe because my brother (4 years younger) and I watched a poopton of Nickelodeon.

I remember Family Double Dare the most and always thought the regular version was superior.

That show is such a snapshot in time. It would never keep kids' attentions nowadays, with things like Spongebob and Dora and get the heck off my lawn too.
You should follow me on Twitter

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 05:07:08 PM »
It would never keep kids' attentions nowadays

Why do you think that is? Not so much challenging you as I am genuinely curious. I think the show would be harder to sell as-is because the powers that be would have that attitude going in, with no cause for it. I'm wondering where the best evidence is that Double Dare wouldn't work for kids today. And moreover, why a lot of these formats need drastic changes for the audiences' sake, who don't get their collective chance to weigh in until the show is put on the air, revisions and all.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 05:26:40 PM »
If Brainsurge can get a second batch of episodes, I see no reason why DD couldn't.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 05:27:54 PM »
I think kids like cartoons.  The game shows on Nick were a means to an end.  They were cheap to produce and made enough for the network so they could afford to branch out into cartoon production, which are pretty much timeless.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
Agree - Crystal Pepsi was lame. I still have a Josta can, t-shirt and promo stickers. I miss it, too..but it probably would have killed me. The whistling sound in my ears after the third can was probably my 30-second warning before a complete blood pressure blowout.:-) But the taste was also killer.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:35:17 PM by The Ol' Guy »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 05:38:29 PM »
The game shows on Nick were a means to an end.
Of course they were. The end was ratings. Derp.

3/10.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 05:54:04 PM »
The game shows on Nick were a means to an end.
Of course they were. The end was ratings. Derp.

3/10.
Square Pants is on seven times a day on Nick.  How many game shows are on Nick currently?

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 03:14:14 PM »
I wholeheartedly disagree. Double Dare is a near perfect balance of questions and stunts, IMO, and what self respecting 9 year old wouldn't want to catch pies in a pair of clown pants?

Air some new episodes of 2-on-2 Double Dare and Legends of the Hidden Temple- my bet is that they would blow Brainsurge (which has its flaws, albeit few) out of the water.

I think kids like cartoons.  The game shows on Nick were a means to an end.  They were cheap to produce and made enough for the network so they could afford to branch out into cartoon production, which are pretty much timeless.
So you're telling me that game shows, which have historically done well as a whole on the network (I heard somewhere that Family Double Dare was greenlit for 93-94), are cheap to produce and generally make money? Sounds good to me.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:37:38 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 03:31:24 PM »
and what self respecting 9 year old wouldn't want to catch pies in a pair of clown pants?
There's a statement you don't see every day.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »
I remember Family Double Dare the most and always thought the regular version was superior.
As someone who hit the sweet spot, I thought so too. It felt like there was more gameplay back in the good ol' days, and the stunts actually required agility or dexterity as opposed to running around and turning over vats of gunk. I've talked about the good points of the show with several people on the boards, and the show got so much right: the game play that never required a player to give a wrong answer, the easy going and silly humor of the host, an end game that always had tension and excitement, The game was terrific and the show parts were on point.

I think the show would be harder to sell as-is because the powers that be would have that attitude going in, with no cause for it.
I'll call opposite here: if Endurance could run for six series then why couldn't Double Dare work. I wonder if inertia has more to do with apathy or laziness.
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »
That show is such a snapshot in time. It would never keep kids' attentions nowadays, with things like Spongebob and Dora and get the heck off my lawn too.

I'm 24 and I wish those damn SpongeBob fans would get off my lawn.

As an aside, the day SpongeBob debuted was a sad day for me at the time — it was the day that I realized that it was possible for Nickelodeon to make shows I disliked. (Cartoons at least — I don't remember watching much of their live action stuff, nor any of the game shows save Legends of the Hidden Temple. I still haven't seen a second of Double Dare.) I mean, I even liked The Brothers Flub for crying out loud, and nobody else even REMEMBERS that one.
Bobby Peacock

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 05:16:59 PM »
I wholeheartedly disagree. Double Dare is a near perfect balance of questions and stunts, IMO, and what self respecting 9 year old wouldn't want to catch pies in a pair of clown pants?

Air some new episodes of 2-on-2 Double Dare and Legends of the Hidden Temple- my bet is that they would blow Brainsurge (which has its flaws, albeit few) out of the water.

So you're telling me that game shows, which have historically done well as a whole on the network (I heard somewhere that Family Double Dare was greenlit for 93-94), are cheap to produce and generally make money? Sounds good to me.
But not as much money as repeating cartoons over and over and over and over.  I'll put it another way.  Double Dare looks like it's from the late 80's-early 90's and really could not be presented as prime viewing fare.  Sponge Bob is repeatable forever.  But in order to get it going, it takes some investment seed money.  The success of the inexpensive game shows provided the money to fund the cartoons, which over time make more money as new generations discover the shows.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:24:53 PM by Jimmy Owen »