Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A really different kind of host switch  (Read 6032 times)

Clay Zambo

A really different kind of host switch
« on: January 14, 2012, 07:18:53 PM »
I set a season pass for PRICE IS RIGHT; I don't watch it every day, but if I hear that something exciting or unusual happened, it's there to watch.  And I'm accustomed to seeing the credits a little wrong; about half the time u-verse's info page for the show lists Bob Barker as the host.

I turned on yesterday's show to have in the background while I'm making dinner tonight, and saw this on the info page.  "Released: 1/13/12.  Host: Bill Cullen."

Now, that'd be a Very Special Episode.
czambo@mac.com

Jay Temple

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »
Until this week, DirecTV was listing John Davidson as the host for the Friday Night Flashback eps of $100,000 Pyramid, which I totally would have kept if it were true.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Mr. Brown

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »
I turned on yesterday's show to have in the background while I'm making dinner tonight, and saw this on the info page.  "Released: 1/13/12.  Host: Bill Cullen."

Now, that'd be a Very Special Episode.

I've noticed a number of very screwed up cast & crew listings on The Price Is Right on U-Verse... in particular, I've seen Bart, Roger, Bill, and Bob listed in various places at various times (rarely is everything correct). Somebody has to be having fun with us...
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

Yogi007

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 10:48:57 PM »
My U-verse listing of Wheel of Fortune finally took off Charlie O'Donnell as one of the "cast" earlier this year.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:49:56 PM by Yogi007 »
sarcasm included at no extra charge

trainman

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 11:59:35 PM »
Way back when GSN started running black-and-white WML? nightly, the TiVo listing didn't have a show description, but the separate "Host" field was filled in with "Larry Blyden." After some time, they added a description: "John Charles Daly." The "Host" field continued to be filled in with "Larry Blyden."
trainman is a man of trains

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 07:10:22 AM »
Too many errors in listings calls into question the accuracy of all the listings.  I preferred TV Guide Magazine up until Newscorp bought it.  A dwindling number of people care anymore, though.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mmb5

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 04:17:02 PM »
I can only speak for what we do, which would not resolve the uVerse or the DirecTV examples (they're not our customers), but I would gather their process isn't much different.

For a particular show, we have a master default record.  Since Bob Barker has been the host for the most episodes, their record most likely has him as the listed host for a default episode, or they simply haven't changed it over to Drew Carey.  That would explain the situation with The $100,000 Pyramid with John Davidson -- since at the time it was switched to the most recent host, but never switched back.

The default record is used in cases when particular episode information is not given.  In the case of a season pass, CBS has likely not given all of the episode information yet or it is still waiting to be processed, so the default will be used.  About the only thing I have contributed to our system since I've been there is we now also have default season default records as well, so in the case of TPIR we would use most recent season's default.

The Bill Cullen one is likely operator error, whether human or algorithmic.  Again, I can't speak to how much human vs. automation they use, but we do not use automation at the network level.  Each network has a small staff dedicated only to a particular network's listings, so they innately understand the patterns both the networks and their affiliates would generally use.

Also, it could also be a misapplication of the data at the head-end level.  I know that we given some customers a complete cast list of a default show, so they could be cherry picking off a similar list.  As long as the show is correct, 99% of the complaints and quality control issues are taken care of.  There's just not enough cost/benefit for the customer to be that concerned about accurate cast listings.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 05:30:40 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Mike.  

I was more hopeful than anything else--"What, for Friday the 13th they've got the rights to run a pair of old Cullen episodes?"  Ah, well.
czambo@mac.com

DrBear

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 10:01:54 PM »
Tonight, I checked on Titan TV and saw that the ABC show PanAm was listed as "Animated."

I thought the characters were two-dimensional...
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 08:04:31 AM »
Wouldn't it be better to omit erronious information?  The TV Guide Magazine never listed hosts of non-celebrity shows unless it was the debut show.  What I did like about the magazine was that you could look up who played what character on the movie or series episode you just watched, remember that actor or actress and scan the listings for that person in other shows.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 10:00:30 AM »
The TV Guide Magazine never listed hosts of non-celebrity shows unless it was the debut show.
It's probably more accurate to say that it wasn't common practice, but to say that they "never" did so simply isn't correct.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 11:29:23 AM »
Wouldn't it be better to omit erronious information?
I'll take "Ironic Spelling Errors" for $1000, please! :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »
What I did like about the magazine was that you could look up who played what character on the movie or series episode you just watched, remember that actor or actress and scan the listings for that person in other shows.

Well, you could up to a certain time.  As the '80s went on their listings became more and more streamlined, and during the '90s most of those credits were not even listed in the magazine anymore.  Blame it on all the cable channels which meant more things to list, but it was frustrating not having this information anymore.  Sometimes you'd have no idea who just played what character because the credits started "shrinking" during this time period as well.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

mmb5

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 12:55:09 PM »
Wouldn't it be better to omit erronious information?  The TV Guide Magazine never listed hosts of non-celebrity shows unless it was the debut show.  What I did like about the magazine was that you could look up who played what character on the movie or series episode you just watched, remember that actor or actress and scan the listings for that person in other shows.
I'm sure any on-line guide that wishes to show cast information is programmed to deliver something if something is available.  It's not going to have the AI to know which episode is which if no other information is available to give an accurate cast listing.

The days of having an incredibly detailed and meticulously edited guide, whether it be TV Guide or someone else, is long gone and will never be back.  In that era, being pretty much the de facto only place you could get information except from your local paper, it would have the revenue stream to support the 700 or so odd channels there were in the 1970s with strong copy and a lot of ancillary information, sourced from only 4 networks with a smaller stranglehold on the overall schedule of the affiliate.  We support over 25,000 channels now, and even that is not exhaustive.  We don't have The Okemos Channel, for example.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 02:06:11 PM »
We don't have The Okemos Channel, for example.
Disappointing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.