Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy online testing starts tonight  (Read 6740 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Jeopardy online testing starts tonight
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 02:43:23 AM »
Depends on the mobile, but I'm guessing it's Flash-based, which right off the bat disqualifies a very large percentage of the mobile phone market.

It is Flash-based. Tried to do the log in test with my Touch and it didn't work.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 04:01:55 AM »
Someone better educated in smartphones can probably answer this for me: Why hasn't a smartphone capable of flash come out yet? You'd think they'd all be scrambling to be the first, wouldn't you? And if one has already come out, why aren't all the others on board with it yet?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 04:02:28 AM by Kevin Prather »

davemackey

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 11:42:23 AM »
Missed it this year. Forgot to register and am I sorry!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »
Why hasn't a smartphone capable of flash come out yet? You'd think they'd all be scrambling to be the first, wouldn't you? And if one has already come out, why aren't all the others on board with it yet?
Three (and a half) reasons:

1) Steve Jobs, even from beyond the grave, has a tendency to act like a petulant child when the world doesn't bow down to him.

2) Adobe sucks and should be destroyed. By extension:

2a) Adobe, for whatever reason, seems to be incapable of writing any kind of phone-based Flash that doesn't completely suck in terms of performance. (There's an argument that suggests they can't do it for full-blown-PCs either, but that's a different discussion.)

3) HTML 5 has rendered Flash largely unnecessary, so right now it's a matter of getting people off of a de facto standard onto a, well, standard.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mmb5

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 12:47:28 PM »
Also because Flash has extended well beyond it's original intention (displaying animation), and therefore has a very large core that needs to be loaded even to do the most basic of things expected from apps.  Other than to point it out, efficient and Adobe have never appeared in the same sentence.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 06:23:02 PM »
2a) Adobe, for whatever reason, seems to be incapable of writing any kind of phone-based Flash that doesn't completely suck in terms of performance. (There's an argument that suggests they can't do it for full-blown-PCs either, but that's a different discussion.)
Not that I don't like Flash, but it'd be nice for my 8-year old laptop to actually be able to go onto YouTube and watch videos and stuff.
This signature is currently under construction.

PYLdude

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 10:58:15 PM »
Not that I don't like Flash, but it'd be nice for my 8-year old laptop to actually be able to go onto YouTube and watch videos and stuff.

So why can't it? I have a 9 year old Dell somewhere and it runs the tube fine.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:58:42 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

trainman

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 10:58:29 PM »
Maybe I was misremembering? Or perhaps they did your auditions differently? Seems a little weird that they'd do it one way for me and another way for you.

Different members of the contestant staff conducting yours versus mine? Contestant staff at your audition suddenly having a flashback to the olden days? The fact that my auditions have been in Culver City, so they only had to drive the tests 5 minutes back to the office?

It seems weird that they would make you wait while they graded the in-person tests -- they didn't tell anyone to leave after they graded the ones at your audition, did they?
trainman is a man of trains

PYLdude

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 11:13:46 PM »
Maybe I was misremembering? Or perhaps they did your auditions differently? Seems a little weird that they'd do it one way for me and another way for you.

Different members of the contestant staff conducting yours versus mine? Contestant staff at your audition suddenly having a flashback to the olden days? The fact that my auditions have been in Culver City, so they only had to drive the tests 5 minutes back to the office?

It seems weird that they would make you wait while they graded the in-person tests -- they didn't tell anyone to leave after they graded the ones at your audition, did they?

No they didn't. As I remember the grading was only for what amounted to what might best be described as a seeding, whereas we were called up three at a time based on testing scores for the written test we took there.