Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "You and a guest will fly..."  (Read 4669 times)

Sonic Whammy

"You and a guest will fly..."
« on: January 23, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »
The story:

The other day, Andrea and I were watching LMAD, where we saw a contestant debating whether to give up their trip to Orlando to go for the Big Deal. I asked Andrea if I was in the contestant's position, would she be cool with my giving up the trip. We agreed that with our now 3-year old, we'd be tempted to keep it, except that the trips they give away on game shows are always trips for two people.

This prompted Andrea to ask why couldn't that be changed. Couldn't you just buy the extra ticket for a third person?

At the time, I said while that would be easy enough, the hotel arrangements and perks that go with it would not, even if the extra is a kid. The room is booked for two, and the agreement between the show and the company footing the prize couldn't be altered.

Did I get any of that right? Or COULD such an arrangement ever be made when a "trip for two" is won?
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

Hastin

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »
Assuming it's booked in time, you can generally add a ticket to a reservation that's already paid, assuming there are seats still available on the flight. You're altering the reservation with the airline/hotel itself. I do this all the time for work, and I'm not even the one who paid for most of these reservations (they are arranged by our Travel Agents).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 07:57:46 PM by Hastin »
-Hastin :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »
Did I get any of that right? Or COULD such an arrangement ever be made when a "trip for two" is won?
I have got to think that an airline and resort would be only too happy to charge you the non-discounted back-of-the-door rate for as many extra people as you would like to bring along with you, vacancy permitting.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 07:57:55 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 08:16:37 PM »
Yes, you can make changes and additions to the prize (whether adding car options or moving up) or adding extra seats or trip legs, but you're going to pay for it with whoever put up the prize.
Travis L. Eberle

That Don Guy

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 09:34:37 PM »
Related question: what happens if you win a trip to Orlando, but you live in Orlando?  Can you ask for a round trip from Orlando to Los Angeles, rather than having to start and end in LA?  (Of course, the hotel and other parts of the prize are still in Orlando.)

I vaguely remember Bob Barker answering a similar question on TPIR way back when; somebody had asked how they handle a trip if the winner isn't from LA, and he said that they would fly the person from the airport of his/her choice.

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:43:45 PM »
Related question: what happens if you win a trip to Orlando, but you live in Orlando?
Then you don't need to get on a plane, and the prize provider yippees because you just became even cheaper advertising.

HYHYBT

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 12:29:19 PM »
Related question: what happens if you win a trip to Orlando, but you live in Orlando?
Then you don't need to get on a plane, and the prize provider yippees because you just became even cheaper advertising.

Well, yes... but essentially the trip is airfare plus hotel (and maybe other items), right? Is there some reason you couldn't 1) drive to the hotel in Orlando and enjoy a vacation there, and then 2) use the plane travel the other direction for a trip back to LA, paying for your own accommodations while there?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 01:07:18 PM »
Well, yes... but essentially the trip is airfare plus hotel (and maybe other items), right? Is there some reason you couldn't 1) drive to the hotel in Orlando and enjoy a vacation there, and then 2) use the plane travel the other direction for a trip back to LA, paying for your own accommodations while there?
While I am not 100% sure of this, I would wager that the airfare is being provided as a vehicle to get you to the trip site and that's it, and that whoever is providing the trip is free to omit that part if it turns out you don't need it.

On the upside, I would assume that means you wouldn't have a tax liability for the airfare, either.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 12:03:19 AM »
Well if you live in Orlando the flying would be uneccessary.  You could just stay at the hotel and go to the theme parks

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 01:20:43 PM »
Well if you live in Orlando the flying would be uneccessary.  You could just stay at the hotel and go to the theme parks
Man, nothing gets by you.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »
Could be worse.  He could have posted a magazine ad for Disney World since they have.a (distant) game show connection...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 11:52:56 PM »
Could be worse.  He could have posted a magazine ad for Disney World since they have.a (distant) game show connection...

Not a magazine ad...a 190-page Disney related book that may have one or two pictures of LMAD 90.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022