Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jimmy Fallon tonight playing classic Pyramid  (Read 6965 times)

DjohnsonCB

Jimmy Fallon tonight playing classic Pyramid
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:18:39 PM »
Saw a preview of tonight's "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" and they're playing what looks like a version of Pyramid with a vintage-looking category board.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

J.R.

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 01:09:02 AM »
There must be some seriously hard core fanatics among the writing staff. Loving the digital clock graphic...

ETA: The Roots ended the segment with the classic theme. Epic.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:12:17 AM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

JakeT

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:42:14 AM »
MAYA RUDOLPH: Zachary, do you like to give or receive?

ZACHARY: Depends on the day...

No, dear friends, it's not your mother's PYRAMID...but it is definitely a good thing!

As Molly Shannon's "joy-ologist" character would say, "I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!"

JakeT

JakeT

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:50:43 AM »
ETA: Roots ended the segment with the classic theme. Epic.

Ahhhhh, once again, I'm a representative of the older generation 'cause, to me, the "classic" theme is "TUNING UP" from the $10,000/$20,000 70's version, not the Cobert CBS $25,000 version rehash.  Not that it is a bad version by any means but just not the "classic" in my ears.

(Oh, and can I be ignorant as ask what "ETA" stands for in this instance?  I honestly don't know or am braindead at this particular moment.)

JakeT

J.R.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 02:10:09 AM »
(Oh, and can I be ignorant as ask what "ETA" stands for in this instance?  I honestly don't know or am braindead at this particular moment.)
"Edited To Add". Hope that helps. :-)

/My tagline came from a Fallon audience game/skit parodying Press Your Luck, building on my theory there's some big game show fans on the show.
-Joe Raygor

J.R.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 02:11:15 AM »
As Molly Shannon's "joy-ologist" character would say, "I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!"
The Iowan in me attributes that quote to Jim Zabel.
-Joe Raygor

JakeT

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 02:24:08 AM »
"Edited To Add". Hope that helps. :-)

Yes, it helps very much!  Once again, this old dog has learned something new and I always appreciate that!

And as much as I love it when Fallon plays PASSWORD, I'd love to see lots more of PYRAMID!  This truly was fun.  Now, if they will only incorporate the Winners Circle, we'll have it made!  Once a winner is declared in the front game, the curtains fly open to reveal the BIG BOARD!!!!

JakeT

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 04:13:17 AM »
Overall, a big treat to watch! But I wonder how Jimmy and Maya felt being upstaged by Zachary.

JakeT

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 06:14:59 AM »
Overall, a big treat to watch! But I wonder how Jimmy and Maya felt being upstaged by Zachary.

Ain't that for sure!  He was a joy, especially doing the yoga positions!  It is just a shame that there isn't an actual real game show on-air currently on which he could parlay his talents and knowledge into some cash.  None of the current offerings would do him justice.  I would just hope that if PYRAMID does ever reemerge from the ashes, he makes a point of auditioning!

Of course, I'm guessing that the "I'm so young" excuse wouldn't fly there either...:)

JakeT

tpirfan28

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 07:45:23 AM »
I'd love to see Jimmy do What's My Line.  They could probably do a audience member and a mystery guest.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

tvmitch

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »
Here's a link on Hulu.
You should follow me on Twitter

Clay Zambo

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 12:12:16 PM »
So the other day, I saw a clip of Fallon and some audience participants playing "Wheel of Carpet Samples," and each of them received a $300 Apple Store gift card.  For spinning a wheel.  These two actually had to play a game--and at least one of them played it quite well.  But no mention of a prize.  Hm?
czambo@mac.com

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 12:23:51 PM »
It seems that Jimmy or someone on his writing staff is a big game show fan.  As I don't watch many of these segments, is it viable that Fallon could host an actual show, not that he would ever take the job downgrade.

/Maybe in 25 years on GSN.
//
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 12:46:53 PM »
It was pretty good, and I like the fact that the maingame categories were actually the short, misleading phrases kind.

One think about Donnymid that really makes me cringe, even when I'm sitting her just thinking about it, was those newly-written category names, that felt like fairly long-winded sentences. They weren't the least bit funny, nor were they the least bit cleverly-written, like the ones on every version of Pyramid from 1973-1991.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:51:42 PM by gameshowlover87 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 01:58:40 PM »
is it viable that Fallon could host an actual show,
Since Fallon almost always plays in them as a celebrity partner, and not as the host (Steve Higgins usually handles those duties), your guess is as good as ours.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe