Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How does a new series gets started?  (Read 5672 times)

Bryce L.

How does a new series gets started?
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:21:07 PM »
I know that for a show to get picked up for a network, or else sold to stations in syndication, a pilot needs to be taped, to show to any networks/distributors interested in the series, but what I don't know is what steps come leading up to the taping of the pilot.

Would anyone here know what the process is like, from when the format is fully fleshed out on paper, to when a pilot is shot?

Clay Zambo

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:45:17 PM »
Would anyone here know what the process is like, from when the format is fully fleshed out on paper, to when a pilot is shot?

I don't know exactly where in the process it falls, but "have a great deal of luck" is in there somewhere.
czambo@mac.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 05:55:44 PM »
I imagine there's a lot of retooling and rule changes, to make the show play better. Before the pilot, there's usually office runthroughs, as building a fancy set can get kinda pricey. ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 06:00:38 PM »
I imagine there's a lot of retooling and rule changes, to make the show play better. Before the pilot, there's usually office runthroughs, as building a fancy set can get kinda pricey. ;-)
Not if you're NBC. Apparently an eighth-place network can afford to have their product beta tested after the premiere.

(If there are any steps other than what Brandon mentioned, I don't know 'em.)
Travis L. Eberle

Bryce L.

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 06:30:21 PM »
I would assume putting out a casting call for someone to host, and someone to announce (on the pilot) would fall in there somewhere. Speaking of sets, I'm sure a number of sketches and small-scale mock-ups are made before a full-size set is constructed...

tvrandywest

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 08:35:07 PM »
... Would anyone here know what the process is like, from when the format is fully fleshed out on paper, to when a pilot is shot?
Yes, too often it's like hell except not as hot.  Other times, only occasionally, it rocks!!

I've been down this road with my own ideas as well as on staff with production companies making this journey. Hopefully others here (Bricon, etc.) will share more.

Over-simplified:

1) Shopping the idea to one of the few agents who specialize in this area, with the hope he will connect you with a known producer. Producers won't take unsolicited ideas, for legal reasons, unless they have worked with you before.  The networks and syndicators only deal with known producers who have proven they can take a show to air.

2) Next are the dog and pony shows where you pitch to networks, syndicators, studios, cable channels, station groups, international licensers, and these days, on-line and home gaming producers. Some may option the show for a period of time while they watch you develop the format. In the 60s/70s/80s you might get a development deal of maybe $25,000 to carry you through the next steps, but those days are pretty much gone.

3) Run-throughs and development where everything from the title to any and all of the game play and rules are subject to change. The goal is to see that the game plays smoothly in all unforseen circumstances and has audience play-along appeal, AND incorporates the ideas of the network or syndicator who has expressed interest or has optioned it. They all have different demographics and goals for the show and will want differing looks and pacing for the gameplay.

4) You hope your buyer now funds a pilot, but more often he and his development staff either loses interest or has no budget at the moment or gets transferred or fired, and the rights revert back to you. There may be continuing indecision while he gives you some money for presentations to their business partners and/or sponsors. You are then back to more development to see if it can be adapted for their goals.

5) You hope the buyer now funds a full-blown pilot, so you hire a set designer and spend months trying to get all to agree on the set, the host, the director, the announcer, the studio, etc.  Otherwise the buyer may save $100,000+ by investing in only a sizzle-reel with staged highlights that demonstrate the show.  Worse would be where YOU are asked to pay for the pilot in exchange for a sweeter back-end deal if the show goes. You may then start looking for an investor.

6) The pilot looks good and is tested in focus groups which results in more development of gameplay or re-casting the host. Then, if it's a network or cable channel, the show goes to air. Or it gets shopped by the syndicator to TV stations in January for a fall debut. If enough stations in the top markets buy it, you're on. Congratulations, and don't forget me when hiring your announcer and warm-up!

And that's the SHORT version!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 09:50:02 PM »
I haven't had the pleasure to work in the TV industry, but I've read and seen some things which Randy didn't touch upon:

6) The pilot looks good and is tested in focus groups which results in more development of gameplay or re-casting the host. Then, if it's a network or cable channel, the show goes to air. Or it gets shopped by the syndicator to TV stations in January for a fall debut. If enough stations in the top markets buy it, you're on.
If not enough stations buy it, however, you're not necessarily out of luck -- the network may still want to do something with the format to at least get some return on their investment...especially if they signed a contract with you to expressly develop new stuff for them alone. Monopoly, despite its three-year development and lame format, is a good example.

Alternately, if it's a short-term series (like Million-Dollar Mind Game), the network may sit on the show for a period of time before burning it off in a low-rating slot or simply just cancel the show for one reason or another without it ever airing (sometimes after a blaze of publicity, such as was the case with Emily's Reasons Why Not). The reasons vary, but include a "better series" becoming available, general disinterest in the project, and a change in high-ranking network staff (from, for example, someone who loved your idea to someone who wants nothing to do with it), in which case you'll have to try elsewhere...unless the one-year option is still in effect, in which case you can't (see: CBS Pyramid in 2009-10).

In my opinion, at least.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:12:34 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »
I just have one serious thing to add to Randy's informative post:
Let us know when you add it, then.

Really now, Randy's post was as good a guide map as I could ever hope for, and it didn't need notations from one of our resident gadflies.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 10:57:44 PM »
It's not a game show, but the 4th season of Seinfeld focused on Jerry and George's sitcom pilot. I'd guess that that's a fairly accurate look at the process as well, including the retooling and casting process.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

dale_grass

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 11:39:56 PM »
It's not a game show, but the 4th season of Seinfeld focused on Jerry and George's sitcom pilot. I'd guess that that's a fairly accurate look at the process as well, including the retooling and casting process.
Don't oogle the daughter of the president of NBC, even if she's Denise Richards.  Check.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 11:45:48 PM »
Don't oogle the daughter of the president of NBC, even if she's Denise Richards.  Check.
Bastardo! I was thinking that but didn't post. Nicely done. :)
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 12:00:54 AM »
Not to worry worry...if I get caught, I have an ex-girlfriend who can help me out (rubs beard, cue ominous organ music).

/Ahh the days when NBC was worth watching

Bryce L.

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 01:31:17 AM »
A lot more complex than I realized...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 04:12:09 AM »
You take your concept to a producer who doesn't know sh*t from Shinola about game shows but who has just received a pilot order for a show from Japan that he wants to do. As you describe your concept, which doesn't resemble Family Feud in the least, the producer objects because he thinks your concept resembles Family Feud and "we could get sued" because your concept "calls on the contestants". After you and the producer's own development guy overcome your astonishment at such an inane statement and assure him that his objection is unfounded, you continue with your pitch only to have him express concern that there are eight people on stage (Hollywood Squares had 12 people on stage). When you finish your pitch he tells you that even though he "doesn't see it" with the concept at hand, he doesn't want to close the door and you should feel welcome to bring him other ideas in the future. As you think you would rather drink poison and step in front of a speeding freight train than bring him another concept, you later gloat when you learn that his pilot (which you read about in the trades and can't make heads or tails of the concept) didn't sell and has died on the vine.

The above is a true story.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:14:18 AM by chris319 »

Bryce L.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 02:17:06 PM »
You take your concept to a producer who doesn't know sh*t from Shinola about game shows but who has just received a pilot order for a show from Japan that he wants to do. As you describe your concept, which doesn't resemble Family Feud in the least, the producer objects because he thinks your concept resembles Family Feud and "we could get sued" because your concept "calls on the contestants". After you and the producer's own development guy overcome your astonishment at such an inane statement and assure him that his objection is unfounded, you continue with your pitch only to have him express concern that there are eight people on stage (Hollywood Squares had 12 people on stage). When you finish your pitch he tells you that even though he "doesn't see it" with the concept at hand, he doesn't want to close the door and you should feel welcome to bring him other ideas in the future. As you think you would rather drink poison and step in front of a speeding freight train than bring him another concept, you later gloat when you learn that his pilot (which you read about in the trades and can't make heads or tails of the concept) didn't sell and has died on the vine.

The above is a true story.

WOW... I guess not everyone towards the top of a company is as smart as they appear on TV...