Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NPR columnist unabashedly enjoys "Price"  (Read 1925 times)

Clay Zambo

NPR columnist unabashedly enjoys "Price"
« on: February 24, 2012, 10:54:02 AM »
Over at NPR's pop-culture blog, Monkey See, Linda Holmes has written a fun article about "The Price is Right."  We might quibble with a couple of details, but it's nice to see a game show get some pleasant press.
czambo@mac.com

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:01:54 PM »
First of all, I'm glad to see that there are regular people who pay attention to the finer points of the games. I'm even happier to see someone write about how nice it is to have an analog show in a digital world.

Some of you may not agree, but I think Drew has come into his own pretty well, and fully deserves the compliments given to him in the article.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

JakeT

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 12:43:29 AM »
Over at NPR's pop-culture blog, Monkey See, Linda Holmes has written a fun article about "The Price is Right."  We might quibble with a couple of details, but it's nice to see a game show get some pleasant press.

I might have just found one of the very few females on this planet that I would consider marrying...this lady obviously sees the world just as I do and I might be able to learn to love her in spite of her lack of a winkie...:)

Oh, and what other female might I marry, you may ask?  Of course, you may...Padma Lakshmi...'nuff said!

JakeT
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:43:49 AM by JakeT »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:07:38 AM »
Most women I know love the show.  They just don't obsess over it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

ChuckNet

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 04:44:29 PM »
Most women I know love the show.  They just don't obsess over it.

Seems to be the case...in fact, my fiance's always been a fan, though she'd lapsed in her viewership sometime after Drew took over, but I helped get her back into it, though some might argue that when dating a guy like me, it comes w/the territory! LOL

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:06:01 PM »
It's also possible to be smart about the show without being slavishly loyal.  Maybe you don't have all the grocery items memorized, but you can still know the right way to play the Clock Game, or how dumb it is for the third person in Contestant's Row to bid a dollar.  I think a lot of casual viewers (including a lot of women) would consider themselves fans and would know a lot of the ins and outs of the show without being obsessive about it.  The author appears to be one such person.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.