Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR April Fool show question  (Read 4751 times)

DjohnsonCB

TPIR April Fool show question
« on: March 06, 2012, 02:53:51 AM »
Since April 1 is on Sunday this year, is TPIR going to skip doing an April Fool show or will they do it on April 2?  I haven't seen enough of them to know what they do in cases like this.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:33:04 AM »
Hopefully they'll skip it. IMO, the last few years of April Fools shows were terrible.

Bryce L.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:26:25 AM »
Hopefully they'll skip it. IMO, the last few years of April Fools shows were terrible.

I know you say the last few years of April Fools were terrible, but let me ask you this, since I'm probably too young to remember: What did April Fool's look like on TPIR when it was done right, in your opinion?

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:28:09 AM »
From the ones I remember, the gags were somewhat subtle, and they didn't beat you over the head with the fact that it's April Fools Day. There was the one showcase with the booby prizes and everything going wrong before revealing two Camaros (1983). There was another from '99 with more booby prizes in the showcase (I believe the contestant was offered three toy cars, only for Bob to eventually reveal three real Geo Metros). I believe there's one from the early-80s where Bob is introduced, but the door opens to reveal an "April Fools!" sign, and he then enters from the audience. Just a few to remind the audience and the viewers what the day is.

Drew's version has used some funny gags (i.e. the turntable that wouldn't stop rotating, the car on blocks), but they run the joke into the ground by the time you reach the midway point of the show. I get that he loves the April Fools gags, dating all the way back to his sitcom, but sometimes less is more IMO. A gag here and there is cool...after awhile I'm thinking "I get it."
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:45:01 PM »
(I believe the contestant was offered three toy cars, only for Bob to eventually reveal three real Geo Metros).
But you repeat yourself.

/Geo Metro owner, 1991-1996
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

William_S.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »
Drew's 10,000th thing.....never again.....

Kevin Prather

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:25:38 PM »

I know you say the last few years of April Fools were terrible, but let me ask you this, since I'm probably too young to remember: What did April Fool's look like on TPIR when it was done right, in your opinion?
Exactly what Brandon said. A gag showcase is enough. Maybe super-subtle things throughout the show like they did on the WoF April Fools show a couple years ago. None of this "OMG THE SET'S ON FIRE. OMG THE ANNOUNCER'S KO'D".
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:26:24 PM by Kevin Prather »

Bryce L.

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:12:50 PM »

Exactly what Brandon said. A gag showcase is enough. Maybe super-subtle things throughout the show like they did on the WoF April Fools show a couple years ago. None of this "OMG THE SET'S ON FIRE. OMG THE ANNOUNCER'S KO'D".

So, you're saying play it low-key, and you're golden, right?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 04:22:13 PM »
Exactly. Like Brandon said, less is more.

DrBear

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 05:30:01 PM »
(I believe the contestant was offered three toy cars, only for Bob to eventually reveal three real Geo Metros).
But you repeat yourself.

/Geo Metro owner, 1991-1996
Speaking as somebody whose Geo Metro threw a piston rod through the entire engine - yup, both hamsters - you have my sympathy.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »
I think that depends on what you're going for, since humor is different for different people. I've done the no-sell version of the Aristocrats joke for lots of people. Some really dig it and others frown. I think a terrific AFD gag would be to build up this enormous deal and then have Drew forget to do whatever it was.

The problem with Internet Christmas is that everyone thinks that they're way funnier than they actually are, and that people are now conditioned to see it coming.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 09:28:41 PM »
I think that depends on what you're going for, since humor is different for different people. I've done the no-sell version of the Aristocrats joke for lots of people. Some really dig it and others frown.
The thing about The Aristocrats (and I think the reason I love the movie so much) is that the *idea* of the joke is really funnier than the joke itself. Standing alone, meh. Told straight, meh. Told in a strange way (like Billy The Mime does) or used as a reference? Comic GOLD.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 10:10:16 AM »
Some really dig it and others frown. I think a terrific AFD gag would be to build up this enormous deal and then have Drew forget to do whatever it was.
Sounds a lot like the 10,000 gag last year, which I seemed to love more than most.

Bryce L.

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 11:02:32 AM »
I think that depends on what you're going for, since humor is different for different people. I've done the no-sell version of the Aristocrats joke for lots of people. Some really dig it and others frown. I think a terrific AFD gag would be to build up this enormous deal and then have Drew forget to do whatever it was.

The problem with Internet Christmas is that everyone thinks that they're way funnier than they actually are, and that people are now conditioned to see it coming.

What I meant was, don't be as over-the-top and as in-your-face as Drew's TPIR has been about the gimmick. Make more sense now?

Otm Shank

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 01:39:24 AM »
Speaking as somebody whose Geo Metro threw a piston rod through the entire engine - yup, both hamsters - you have my sympathy.
I thought I was the only one who joked about a Geo running on hamster power. Towards the end of my car's life (1989-1999), I was lucky to live on a hill so I could push-start it by throwing it into first. In a touch of mercy, a neighborhood tree spectacularly took it out.

Back on topic, I remember staying home from school and seeing the everything-goes-wrong showcase. I loved Johnny's "uh, maybe we can edit?"

Unfortunately, the Monty Python principle ("drop the cow and get out," or kill an overly long bit) was missed in some of the latest April Fool's antics where subtlety is wielded with a sledgehammer. It even exceeded the SNL standard for overused humor.