Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kelly and ... Pat?  (Read 3455 times)

entguy1

Kelly and ... Pat?
« on: March 07, 2012, 12:42:25 PM »
Since I know him more as a game show host (you are missed, "World Series of Pop Culture"), it's appropriate to discuss Pat Kiernan's debut today on "Live with Kelly." The host chat adjusted to what he does on NY1, holding up the front pages of daily papers from across the country (and the full copies of the NY dailies). Since I still work in the dead tree business, that was gratifying.

The guy can poke fun at himself and knows how to handle an interview. But aside from NY TV watchers and those of us who miss WSOPC, do you think he's being considered for the long haul?

I'll hang up now and listen for your response.

BillCullen1

Kelly and ... Pat?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:33:31 PM »
I thought he did okay. I liked when he explained that Disney songwriter Robert Sherman died (I believe that was his name) and Kelly had no idea who he was. He wrote Supercalafrag . . . . I don't think he's on the short list to replace Regis. He'd have to give up the VH1 gig. I think we'll see him occasionally. He seemed to work with Kelly.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Kelly and ... Pat?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:56:30 PM »
I don't think he's on the short list to replace Regis. He'd have to give up the VH1 gig.
You mean, the one that hasn't seen the light of day in FOUR AND A HALF YEARS?

I suspect he's willing to give it up at this point.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Kelly and ... Pat?
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 12:02:59 AM »
I don't think he's on the short list to replace Regis. He'd have to give up the VH1 gig.
You mean, the one that hasn't seen the light of day in FOUR AND A HALF YEARS?

I suspect he's willing to give it up at this point.
And even if it were still running, I doubt he'd lose sleep over whether he wants to do an annual cable game show or a nationally-syndicated talk show. Honestly, they both tape(d) in NYC, so I'm sure hypothetical arrangements could be made.

/But yeah the 4.5 year break makes this more than moot
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:53:07 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

Kelly and ... Pat?
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 12:38:19 AM »
moot
Not the first word that popped into my mind, I assure you.

Don Howard

Kelly and ... Pat?
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:16:34 AM »
Whoever punches Kelly Ripa in the face should get the job.

MikeK

• Martha!
Kelly and ... Pat?
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 06:35:38 AM »
Brings a new meaning to "I'd hit that."

BillCullen1

Kelly and ... Pat?
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:41:28 AM »
I thought he did okay. I liked when he explained that Disney songwriter Robert Sherman died (I believe that was his name) and Kelly had no idea who he was. He wrote Supercalafrag . . . . I don't think he's on the short list to replace Regis. He'd have to give up the VH1 gig. I think we'll see him occasionally. He seemed to work with Kelly.

I meant to say NY1 - typed in the wrong latters. Sorry about that chief.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:41:44 AM by BillCullen1 »

clemon79

Kelly and ... Pat?
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 01:17:59 PM »
Fair enough. That said, I dunno about you, but trading in a regional cable gig where I have to roll my ass out of bed at three in the morning for national syndicated television where I get to sleep in a few more hours, a car and driver takes me to work, and I'm making four times the money would be a REALLY EASY DECISION for me.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Kelly and ... Pat?
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 01:52:39 PM »
Why would you even joke like that? Assuming that's funnery because I'm not quite sure anymore.
Travis L. Eberle

Mr. Armadillo

Kelly and ... Pat?
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 04:29:39 PM »
I can't be the only one who clicked on this thread thinking Sajak was guest-hosting again...

Jamey Greek

Kelly and ... Pat?
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 08:07:53 PM »
I thought you were talking about Pat Sajak.  I heard on Stu's Show that he was lobbying for the job.

Bryce L.

Kelly and ... Pat?
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 10:18:24 PM »
Fair enough. That said, I dunno about you, but trading in a regional cable gig where I have to roll my ass out of bed at three in the morning for national syndicated television where I get to sleep in a few more hours, a car and driver takes me to work, and I'm making four times the money would be a REALLY EASY DECISION for me.

The only possible thing I would consider as a con to giving up a regional show for a national show is "Job Security"... working in a small area, where you are well-liked and pretty much don't have to worry about being out of work, until either you hang 'em up, or unless the station goes belly-up; versus, a national gig where, if you don't pull in the ratings your show's buyers were anticipating in the big markets, you could very well find yourself picking up a copy of "Variety" and looking at the "Help Wanted" section... this is kind of like the "big fish in a small pond" vs. "little fish in a big puddle" concept, to me at least...

BrandonFG

Kelly and ... Pat?
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 12:20:48 AM »
I can't be the only one who clicked on this thread thinking Sajak was guest-hosting again...
You're not. I thought the same thing. And honestly, I remember reading that Wheel tapes about 39 days out of the year. I do honestly wonder whether Sajak would be up to doing the show from NYC, with all the traveling he already does. I believe he still lives in Maryland, although at his age, he may not want to do any additional traveling...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Kelly and ... Pat?
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 12:35:04 AM »
You're not. I thought the same thing. And honestly, I remember reading that Wheel tapes about 39 days out of the year. I do honestly wonder whether Sajak would be up to doing the show from NYC, with all the traveling he already does. I believe he still lives in Maryland, although at his age, he may not want to do any additional traveling...

Two words: Acela Express. :)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022