Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And PETA's New Los Angeles Headquarters Is...  (Read 3530 times)

DoItRockapella

And PETA's New Los Angeles Headquarters Is...
« on: March 08, 2012, 12:14:58 PM »
...the Bob Barker Building.

Honestly, words fail me here.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:31:30 PM »
There is no other game show host in the whole world who makes me mad, makes my blood boil, more than Bob Barker.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:33:58 PM by gameshowlover87 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »
There is no other game show host in the whole world who makes me mad, makes my blood boil, more than Bob Barker.
While I understand this (except that "making your blood boil" is an awfully big emotional investment for some guy you've only seen on TV and do not and will not know personally), his animal activism is one of the very few good works he has done, so suck it up and let them give him a nominal honor for it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SamJ93

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 04:28:56 PM »
While I understand this (except that "making your blood boil" is an awfully big emotional investment for some guy you've only seen on TV and do not and will not know personally), his animal activism is one of the very few good works he has done, so suck it up and let them give him a nominal honor for it.

"Activism" is a big umbrella, though.  Advocating general animal welfare, adoption, and spaying/neutering is all pretty much inarguable at this point, but PETA's stance of "total animal liberation" pushes them into the realm of batshit insanity.  (To say nothing of their utter hypocrisy.)
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »
but PETA's stance of "total animal liberation" pushes them into the realm of batshit insanity.  (To say nothing of their utter hypocrisy.)
Totally fair point, but then the eyerolling should be directed towards the entire organization, not just Barker. (In fact, I'd specifically say *not* Barker at that point, since to the best of my knowledge he was more into the spaying/neutering/adoption end of things and less driven to give roosters full voting rights.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:32:32 PM »
(In fact, I'd specifically say *not* Barker at that point, since to the best of my knowledge he was more into the spaying/neutering/adoption end of things and less driven to give roosters full voting rights.)
And if anyone dared to question PETA's motives on this point they'd just be accused of cockblocking.
Travis L. Eberle

DrBear

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 06:17:47 PM »
I'm a bit surprised PETA would honor Barker because of his known opposition to reproductive freedom for pets.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

JakeT

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »
but PETA's stance of "total animal liberation" pushes them into the realm of batshit insanity.  (To say nothing of their utter hypocrisy.)
Totally fair point, but then the eyerolling should be directed towards the entire organization, not just Barker. (In fact, I'd specifically say *not* Barker at that point, since to the best of my knowledge he was more into the spaying/neutering/adoption end of things and less driven to give roosters full voting rights.)

Oh, I can just hear it now...

COCK-A-DOODLE-GINGRICH!

(Okay, so it was a Georgia chicken!)

JakeT

dale_grass

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:18:50 PM »
COCK-A-DOODLE-GINGRICH!

I think you mean GINGRICH-A-DOODLE-DOO!

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
http://www.swlaw.edu/pdfs/jle/jle602bryant.pdf
Detailed article on the Barker donations and his thoughts on the matter. Because it is a new and expanding field, it's hard to say whether the directions these courses/schools take in the future will follow Bob's current guidelines for donations. As the writer states, any donation to or creation of "animal law" becomes controversial because the extreme views and actions of a few get the whole thing judged negatively*. Bob's intentions may be humane treatment. Others will take what Bob has started or seeded and expand into the equality of species thing. I agree with your take, Chris. Kinda like, if I gave a guy five dollars for a meal and he turns around and buys a cheap handgun used to kill a clerk in a liquor store holdup, should I be condemned for giving the guy the five dollars when I gave it with the best of intentions? Bob has put the money and the name out there. How others use the gifts won't always be something he can control or appreciate. Personally, as far as animal/person equality goes, the day a cow walks into Johns Hopkins and delivers it's own documented research which develops into a cure for cancer, I won't eat them anymore.  

* http://www.theonion.com/articles/heroic-peta-commandos-kill-49-save-rabbit,1647/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:32:32 PM by The Ol' Guy »

JakeT

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 09:03:02 PM »
COCK-A-DOODLE-GINGRICH!

I think you mean GINGRICH-A-DOODLE-DOO!

Nope...for this voter, I'm afraid Gingrich simply won't doooooooooo! :)

JakeT

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »

And based on a lot of your reasoning, I have to say that it's much ado about nothing. What is it about him that raises your ire to levels some reserve for Satan?

And I'm a man who doesn't have much respect for the man based on some of the things he did but I'm certainly not going to let my blood "boil" over it. I have more important people to worry about than some game show host who stayed on as host of his show ten years too long. If anything, his example and recent ones like it that I've personally dealt with have given me more of a perspective on how not to do things- but it's not going to be anything I'll lose sleep over.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

GSBOY92

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 03:34:08 PM »
I would pay someone to eat a BigMac and a Whopper in front of PETA HQ.

dale_grass

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
If it were within 20 miles of where I lived I'd do it for free (you provide the burger).

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 05:45:29 PM »
If it were within 20 miles of where I lived I'd do it for free (you provide the burger).
Cheapskate.  I'd do it for free AND I'd buy the burgers.