Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mike Wallace  (Read 2914 times)

geno57

Mike Wallace
« on: April 11, 2012, 04:33:09 AM »
... Is his Nothing But the Truth pilot available for viewing here on the Internets?  It sure seems as though I've seen it somewhere over the years ... but can't find it now.

whewfan

Mike Wallace
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:09:39 AM »
I thought I saw it on YouTube a while ago.

I thought Mike Wallace was a good host. He would've hosted the series, but the PTB felt his credibility as a journalist would be compromised. Mike was on the panel from time to time in the show's early years though.

Interesting that John Daly, both a journalist and a host, was allowed to do What's My Line, as well as It's News to Me, where he replaced another newscaster, Walter Cronkite.

Matt Ottinger

Mike Wallace
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:13:59 AM »
Given that it's easily available among collectors, I'm surprised that nobody's put it up on YouTube, especially in the last few days.  Maybe I will.

He would've hosted the series, but the PTB felt his credibility as a journalist would be compromised.
Is there any actual information to support that, or are we just making stuff up again?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:18:21 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Bryce L.

Mike Wallace
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:36:24 AM »
Given that it's easily available among collectors, I'm surprised that nobody's put it up on YouTube, especially in the last few days.  Maybe I will.
For those of us who wish to keep our eyes peeled, what username should we look for your uploads under?

Vahan_Nisanian

Mike Wallace
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
BillCullenNet

tvrandywest

Mike Wallace
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 01:11:24 PM »
I thought I saw it on YouTube a while ago.

I thought Mike Wallace was a good host. He would've hosted the series, but the PTB felt his credibility as a journalist would be compromised. Mike was on the panel from time to time in the show's early years though.

Interesting that John Daly, both a journalist and a host, was allowed to do What's My Line, as well as It's News to Me, where he replaced another newscaster, Walter Cronkite.

Daly's credibility as a journalist was protected by a number of measures at WML. He was referred to as "moderator" and not host or emcee, and he was never to be involved in demonstrations or any physical activities similar to those on IGAS>

It's all in the book   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Mike Wallace
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 01:21:54 PM »
Is there any actual information to support that, or are we just making stuff up again?
Who's this 'we', friend? Sounds like I need to steer clear of this 'we'. :)
Travis L. Eberle

whewfan

Mike Wallace
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 05:08:15 PM »
Okay, call it a hazy memory... maybe it wasn't the "powers that be", but perhaps Wallace himself felt the show might ruin his credibility. Until I saw him host the TTTT pilot, I couldn't picture Mike Wallace hosting a game show. On 60 Minutes, Mike was certainly not someone that could make a nervous person feel at ease. On the contrary, those he interviewed could be quite intimidated by him. He interviewed Johnny Carson on 60 Minutes in 1979. It's no secret that Carson HATES being interviewed, and when originally agreeing to be interviewed on 60 Minutes in 1976, he got cold feet and stopped the proceedings. However, he agreed to try again. Mike steered clear of asking questions about his previous marriages (he was still married to wife #3 at the time) and his childhood but briefly brought up Johnny's intolerance of alcohol. Johnny said he doesn't handle alcohol well, which is why he rarely drinks. On The Tonight Show, he was making fun of some celebrity until he found out the celeb was an alcoholic, and the jokes stopped. Wallace, in response to that, quipped "It takes one to know one", and Carson replied with a sneer "oh you're cruel."

J.R.

Mike Wallace
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 05:10:30 PM »
speculation sniped
You should stop consulting with your Bowling Buddy before you post.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:52:28 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Mike Wallace
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 05:27:46 PM »
On 60 Minutes, Mike was certainly not someone that could make a nervous person feel at ease. On the contrary, those he interviewed could be quite intimidated by him.
This is precisely why he had a gig, and why it was so entertaining to watch the interviewee squirm.

Sixty Minutes, however, is not a game show.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:28:10 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

Mike Wallace
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 06:35:54 PM »
Okay, call it a hazy memory... maybe it wasn't the "powers that be", but perhaps Wallace himself felt the show might ruin his credibility.
Sorry, you're still making stuff up, so you're still being called on it.  The truth is that Wallace hosted The Big Surprise and Who Pays? AFTER hosting the NBTT pilot.  He also did a bunch of commercials during that period.  There is nothing to indicate that a concern over his credibility as a newsman had anything whatsoever to do with him not getting the TTTT job.  No evidence when you stated it as fact, and plenty of evidence to the contrary even when you add "maybe" and "perhaps".  You made it up.  Be more careful about labeling your speculation as speculation in the future.

tvrandywest

Mike Wallace
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 07:01:09 PM »
Okay, call it a hazy memory... maybe it wasn't the "powers that be", but perhaps Wallace himself felt the show might ruin his credibility.
Sorry, you're still making stuff up, so you're still being called on it.  The truth is that Wallace hosted The Big Surprise and Who Pays? AFTER hosting the NBTT pilot.  He also did a bunch of commercials during that period.  There is nothing to indicate that a concern over his credibility as a newsman had anything whatsoever to do with him not getting the TTTT job.  No evidence when you stated it as fact, and plenty of evidence to the contrary even when you add "maybe" and "perhaps".  You made it up.  Be more careful about labeling your speculation as speculation in the future.
Amen.

And by the way, the ribbing by Wallace on Mark Goodson's final birthday tribute tape about still waiting for the call to host TTTT makes it clear that he wanted the gig, and that Goodson re-cast the role.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Neumms

Mike Wallace
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »
One of Wallace's sons died in an accident in 1962. It was following that, at the age of 44, he took a step back and focused on serious news, long after Nothing But the Truth.

I consulted the Wiki for the dates, but I've heard the story before. It's pretty darn inspiring. And Night Beat was a terrific show. Shot on an all-black set with light hitting great plumes of smoke, it was terrific theatre. Clips of it pop up on documentaries about Wallace's guests, such as Frank Lloyd Wright. Charlie Rose comes closest to the guest selection now but is a way different deal.

Matt Ottinger

Mike Wallace
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 04:35:23 PM »
Nothing But The Truth is now available for viewing.

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=23052

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Mike Wallace
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 10:43:44 PM »
Bob Stewart himself said at a Game Show Congreff that Mike turned down NBTT because he wanted to get into news. As for hosting Who Pays? and The Big Surprise, well, maybe he took the jobs because his journalism career wasn't quite taking off in the late '50s? If I'm reading his bio correctly, his interview shows had been cancelled by 1958.

Regarding Daly, Gil Fates has written that Daly simply wanted to do a sit-down panel show and eschewed demonstrations on WML?, telling Fates to save such things for IGAS. ABC clearly wanted Daly to head their news department and hoped to capitalize on his WML? popularity, not viewing it as an impediment. Gil goes on to blame Daly for WML? becoming hidebound and notes that the format opened up in syndication with new emcees.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:56:56 PM by chris319 »