Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What usually happens at a Wheelmobile visit?  (Read 1987 times)

JepMasta

What usually happens at a Wheelmobile visit?
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
Hey guys

The Wheel Of Fortune Wheelmobile will be coming to Knoxville this weekend and I am making the trek after work to see it. What I'm wondering is what usually happens when it rolls into town?  I.E., do they have contestant tests there?

Thanks

Brian

golden-road

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:21:51 PM »
I came across the Wheelmobile in 2008. First of all, they give you all manner of swag (bobbleheads, a CD sampler of the computer game). There is a box where you fill out a paper, then drop it in. If your name is called, you come up on stage, along with two others, to play a speed-up puzzle. For being selected, you win a prize (t-shirt, hat et al). Then the host spins a wheel, and solving the puzzle wins the prize landed on. This is to gauge reaction time, as well as how you would do at playing the game.

snowpeck

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:45:08 PM »
Here's all the details of the visit per WBIR's website. I thought about going for half a second, but a) I'd have no way of financing the trip to Culver City on the extreme outside chance I got selected as a contestant, and b) considering I work for WATE, I'd feel too much like I'm supporting my competition.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:45:45 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

J.R.

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:56:29 PM »
Be prepared for a massive crowd. The Wheelmobile came to Des Moines a couple years back and the mall was completely stuffed to the gills. Don't get too disappointed if you don't get to play or win any goodies.

Amusingly, the Jeopardy! bus came in a month later and the crowd was significantly smaller. (I got to play the mock game won won a J! themed water bottle. Had lots of fun)
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »
Be on your toes, though. My agents tell me that the Wheel agents are roaming the line surreptitiously and you might get a wild card invite to take the puzzle test and audition.
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 12:14:27 AM »
At the one I went to (Jacksonville, November 2009), they did three cycles of contestants each in two days. I asked if I could go through the line and fill out another form if I didn't get called onstage in the first hour, and was told that I could. I finally got called onstage in the third hour.

If I remember correctly, the onstage Speed-Up game is five at a time, not three at a time.

Don't fret too much about trying to solve the puzzle. However, don't forget the basic things — most common letters and letter patterns, category, etc. Some of the puzzles have a local theme, so be prepared for something like NEYLAND STADIUM.

Another thing that helps is if you have something fun or unique about yourself. I played air guitar at my audition after I mentioned that I'm a musician. I'm told they like musicians, dancers, singers, etc. One thing to avoid is saying "I'm a big fan".

If you make it onstage, go home and wait for a letter from Sony. This is an invitation to a second round of auditions (usually held in a hotel meeting room or the like) that you have to pass before getting on.

Good luck, have fun and I hope you get on!
Bobby Peacock

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 01:15:36 PM »
Don't fret too much about trying to solve the puzzle. However, don't forget the basic things — most common letters and letter patterns, category, etc. Some of the puzzles have a local theme, so be prepared for something like NEYLAND STADIUM.
From what I remember, that proportion was nearly 100%. If you get called up, be the kind of contestant you see on the show. Call your letters, clap politely, the whole deal.
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 01:44:42 PM »
From what I remember, that proportion was nearly 100%. If you get called up, be the kind of contestant you see on the show. Call your letters, clap politely, the whole deal.

In Jacksonville, I only recalled seeing a handful of localized ones and far more "standard" puzzles. (I know the one I solved was BOX OFFICE HIT.) Maybe it varies?
Bobby Peacock

CJBojangles

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 05:36:01 AM »
I'm told they like musicians, dancers, singers, etc. One thing to avoid is saying "I'm a big fan".

Particularly true of the event I attended in Vegas. Upon hearing the word "dance" or "sing" in your brief self-introduction, the host would interrupt with "WHAAAAA?! YOU SIIIIIIING?!" occasionally with the crowd joining in as well. You were then made to demonstrate your talent on the spot.