Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Applause SFX?  (Read 6052 times)

DJDustman

Applause SFX?
« on: December 10, 2003, 03:57:01 PM »
After hearing the same applause sound fx for CBS ans NBC Shows, Do they exist around?   Are they still in use today.  I think I heard one of the applause same applause noises used on TPIR even today.

cmjb13

Applause SFX?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 05:06:25 PM »
TPIR definitely uses them. They use canned applause and canned shouting (during IUFB). The shouting can also be heard on Eubank's Card Sharks.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Ian Wallis

Applause SFX?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 08:59:37 AM »
What I've found amusing is that sometimes the director is a little careless with the closing shots of a show.  For example, on a few episodes of the '80s "Tattletales", they used the canned applause at the end of the show, but the camera pulled out to show the whole audience - who were NOT applauding.

It happened a couple of times on the syndie "Joker's Wild" too.  

Personally, I don't know why they had to used canned applause at the end - just let the viewers enjoy listening to the theme!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Applause SFX?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 12:06:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 06:59 AM\'] Personally, I don't know why they had to used canned applause at the end - just let the viewers enjoy listening to the theme! [/quote]
 'Cuz .00001 percent of the viewing audience actually WANT to hear the theme in the clear.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

Applause SFX?
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 12:35:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 08:59 AM\']What I've found amusing is that sometimes the director is a little careless with the closing shots of a show.  For example, on a few episodes of the '80s "Tattletales", they used the canned applause at the end of the show, but the camera pulled out to show the whole audience - who were NOT applauding.

It happened a couple of times on the syndie "Joker's Wild" too. 

Personally, I don't know why they had to used canned applause at the end - just let the viewers enjoy listening to the theme![/quote]
The whole idea of the extended audience applause at the end is to heighten everything and make it sound like you just saw the greatest thing in the world.  Even if anyone would wonder why a run-of-the-mill game show would get the sort of ovation reserved for Olivier playing King Lear, it's still an established convention--and not just on game shows.  (On some old British sitcoms, the audience was cued to applaud immediately when the title of the show is shown in the opening sequence and it keeps coming until the beginning of the first scene.)  The more reasonable version would be to have the audience stop and then start up again after the announcer's final announcement, if any (like "Split Second" and the one "Celebrity Bullseye" crawl we saw a few weeks ago), which was common on radio, but no one seems to want to do that nowadays.

I've been of the belief that too often the audience is overcued to applaud on game shows, but, hey, audience applause sure fills up dead time more easily than an inept host trying to ad lib (no names, please).

Jimmy Owen

Applause SFX?
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 12:39:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 12:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 06:59 AM\'] Personally, I don't know why they had to used canned applause at the end - just let the viewers enjoy listening to the theme! [/quote]
'Cuz .00001 percent of the viewing audience actually WANT to hear the theme in the clear. [/quote]
 That may be true, but I liked the way "The New Treasure Hunt" would go out in the seventies-stage dimmed, no applause and the slow "True Grit" theme giving us a chance to reflect after a frenetic half hour
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

Applause SFX?
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 12:46:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 12:39 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 12:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 06:59 AM\'] Personally, I don't know why they had to used canned applause at the end - just let the viewers enjoy listening to the theme! [/quote]
'Cuz .00001 percent of the viewing audience actually WANT to hear the theme in the clear. [/quote]
That may be true, but I liked the way "The New Treasure Hunt" would go out in the seventies-stage dimmed, no applause and the slow "True Grit" theme giving us a chance to reflect after a frenetic half hour[/quote]
If you're talking about near the end, in the last two years there was (canned) rhythmic applause to the theme until Johnny Jacobs did the Barris tag (at which point we had full applause again).  The two years at ABC there was applause all the way to the end.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Applause SFX?
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 01:01:51 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 11:35 AM\']I've been of the belief that too often the audience is overcued to applaud on game shows, but, hey, audience applause sure fills up dead time more easily than an inept host trying to ad lib (no names, please).[/quote]
Great example would be SCRABBLE.  When they decided to actually bring the audience on-camera, inevitably at the end of each episode Woolery would start conversing with members of the audience (or so we would be led to believe), as the McKenzie effects would be quieted.  Then they'd startup again, you'd see the audience applaud (just before the fade to black) and Woolery would still be chatting.

For that matter, why put the audience on camera to begin with?  $otC, WoF (in its Burbank years) and SP never bothered to except in certain circumstances (in fact, I don't recall $otC ever turning the cameras around--not to say it never happened).  I guess Matt would know better than most if an audience was actually present at SALE (I would presume there was one).

I can't say this for a fact, but judging from some audience tracks I've heard over the recent past I'd guess that the NBC tracks are no longer around as we may remember them but were respliced into other audience tracks.  That's just a guess, tho.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Applause SFX?
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 02:26:59 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 01:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 11:35 AM\']I've been of the belief that too often the audience is overcued to applaud on game shows, but, hey, audience applause sure fills up dead time more easily than an inept host trying to ad lib (no names, please).[/quote]
Great example would be SCRABBLE.  When they decided to actually bring the audience on-camera, inevitably at the end of each episode Woolery would start conversing with members of the audience (or so we would be led to believe), as the McKenzie effects would be quieted.  Then they'd startup again, you'd see the audience applaud (just before the fade to black) and Woolery would still be chatting.

For that matter, why put the audience on camera to begin with?  $otC, WoF (in its Burbank years) and SP never bothered to except in certain circumstances (in fact, I don't recall $otC ever turning the cameras around--not to say it never happened).  I guess Matt would know better than most if an audience was actually present at SALE (I would presume there was one).

I can't say this for a fact, but judging from some audience tracks I've heard over the recent past I'd guess that the NBC tracks are no longer around as we may remember them but were respliced into other audience tracks.  That's just a guess, tho.

Doug [/quote]
At this time, Charlie Tuna would make the short plug "Scrabble is a registered trademark of the Scrabble brand crossword game, and is produced in association with Exposure Unlimited (who?)".

Also, I noticed, that sometime in the run, the rights to the game switched from Swichtler and Righter (or however you spell it) to Milton Bradley.

Matt, once again could jump in here.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 02:27:06 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Applause SFX?
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2003, 03:22:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 12:26 PM\'] Also, I noticed, that sometime in the run, the rights to the game switched from Swichtler and Righter (or however you spell it) to Milton Bradley.
 [/quote]
 That happened because that was about the time that Selchow and Righter was bought up by...hmm....would it have been Hasbro Bradley at the time? I think so. Couldn't give you an exact date, because such minutae are not important to me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Applause SFX?
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2003, 04:11:12 PM »
From a Scrabble FAQ:
Selchow & Righter, listed as the US owner on many of your boards, was bought -- in good health -- in 1986 by Coleco, which shortly went into bankruptcy due to the collapse of the market for their Cabbage Patch dolls. Coleco also led itself to bankruptcy in 1987 by losing a fortune on the Adam home computer flop, and the unexpected (to them) slowdown in Trivial Pursuit sales. (Trivial Pursuit was marketed in the US by Selchow & Righter). Scrabble was sold off to Milton Bradley, which was in turn gobbled up by Hasbro.

And as to the other question that was asked of me, yes, when I was on SOTC, there was a studio audience made up mostly of tourists.  Just as important, though, was the pool of contestants-to-be, who were whipped into a frenzy of supportive cheers and applause.  I assume that even more fake-applause was added as well.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 04:11:45 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Skynet74

Applause SFX?
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2003, 04:22:24 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 01:01 PM\'] I guess Matt would know better than most if an audience was actually present at SALE (I would presume there was one).

Doug [/quote]

John would know too. :-) I was there in June of 1988 and Yes there were people surrounding me actually applauding. Don Morrow was announcing then. My Mom thought he was a funny guy.

John

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Applause SFX?
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 05:43:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 03:22 PM\'] John would know too. :-) I was there in June of 1988 and Yes there were people surrounding me actually applauding. Don Morrow was announcing then. My Mom thought he was a funny guy.
 [/quote]
 Well, hey, if NBC had bothered to allow its cameras to turn around more than once in a blue moon to show an audience I might've recognized you.  At least there is visual evidence Matt was there.  :)

Anybody know why the first few rows of the audience wound up on camera for the last few years of SCRABBLE's original run?  (And for that matter, did people attending tapings where those first few rows were visible have to be moved around, lest viewers think that shows weren't necessarily produced five-in-one-day?)  One has to admit that it was rather unusual for an NBC game that didn't involve its audience to have its audience visible (but McKenzied nonetheless).

Also, for an additional matter, I assume people are moved around in the TPIR audience if they show up for a taping of than one episode--yes?  (Never had the pleasure of going out there myself--perhaps one of these days I'll be able to trek out there.)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TimK2003

Applause SFX?
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2003, 08:02:43 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 05:43 PM\']
Also, for an additional matter, I assume people are moved around in the TPIR audience if they show up for a taping of than one episode--yes?  (Never had the pleasure of going out there myself--perhaps one of these days I'll be able to trek out there.)

[/quote]
 Going on my experience in September, they have MORE than enough people who want to get in to see 'The Price Is Right' on the Monday double tapings!  

Maybe in the show's early 70's era, they may have had shifted audiences around, as the shows were 30 mins each.  But today, unless you get out of show taping #1 in time to find that there are still some open seats available for the 2nd taping (a rarity nowadays), each episode has a completely new audience.

uncamark

Applause SFX?
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2003, 12:43:40 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Dec 11 2003, 05:43 PM\']Anybody know why the first few rows of the audience wound up on camera for the last few years of SCRABBLE's original run?  (And for that matter, did people attending tapings where those first few rows were visible have to be moved around, lest viewers think that shows weren't necessarily produced five-in-one-day?)  One has to admit that it was rather unusual for an NBC game that didn't involve its audience to have its audience visible (but McKenzied nonetheless).[/quote]
Gary Johnson and Chris Darley probably thought it would be a nice visual touch for the top of the show and the credits.  Also, although people don't usually accuse game shows of sweetening like they do sitcoms, they could also say that there actually is a live audience presence.

I do remember that back in the late 60s a production of "Arsenic and Old Lace" was done for ABC with a live audience in a theater.  The producer and director decided to include a few audience reaction shots during the play, since they didn't mind trying to hide that it was a stage production.  One of the critics still accused them of using canned laughter and cutting in stock footage of audiences, because the live audience that attended the taping seemed to be enjoying the play immensely.  You can't win.