Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows or parts of games that seem flawed  (Read 10435 times)

Kevin Prather

Game shows or parts of games that seem flawed
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 05:23:03 PM »
In terms of fairness, by definition, it is fixed.  In fact, a successful game show revolved around this concept.  However, in terms of eyeballs on the tube, by definition, no it's not.
Well, we're making TV here, not fairness.
This.

dale_grass

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 07:45:31 PM »
In terms of fairness, by definition, it is fixed.  In fact, a successful game show revolved around this concept.  However, in terms of eyeballs on the tube, by definition, no it's not.
Well, we're making TV here, not fairness.
My point exactly.  By definition.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 08:26:07 PM »
My point exactly.  By definition.
That was pretty much the opposite of your point as presented. But, whatever.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »
Condo board regulations disallow me from having a pet without the proper shots and documents, so I'll just say I find it bizarre that a game show exists where you can write down the correct response and still lose money.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 09:45:20 PM »
so I'll just say I find it bizarre that a game show exists where you can write down the correct response and still lose money.
Huh?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 09:53:39 PM »
Last night on Jeopardy a contestant wrote down the correct question but hadn't completely crossed out her first guess. So her response registered as "Who is Samuel Clemens Hal Holbrook?" so she lost her title belt. And about $20,000 additional prize money.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 10:02:50 PM »
Last night on Jeopardy a contestant wrote down the correct question but hadn't completely crossed out her first guess. So her response registered as "Who is Samuel Clemens Hal Holbrook?" so she lost her title belt. And about $20,000 additional prize money.

And that was the right call IMO.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 10:09:43 PM »

I seldom watch Jeopardy! anymore, simply because I've become disgusted with how frequently they rule someone right then later neg them because of a barely noticeable mispronunciation, or rule someone wrong in FJ because of an added or missing letter.  Yeah, it's their show and I get the reasoning why they do it and that there's a rhyme and reason to what is and isn't acceptable, but when they pull crap like asking about the Berensta]/b]in bears, it annoys me to a degree that I don't want to watch anymore.

Of course, I decided to watch yesterday.  And as usual, it left me feeling more miserable at the end of the half hour than at the beginning.  But at the same time, I do agree with this one; if "Samuel" wasn't crossed out it's "Samuel Hal Holbrook" and that's a completely wrong name, not a obvious misspelling.

trainman

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »
...but when they pull crap like asking about the Berenstain bears, it annoys me to a degree that I don't want to watch anymore.

Huh? "Berenstain" is the correct spelling.
trainman is a man of trains

Jay Temple

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 11:39:01 PM »
$100 round on Super Password -- always bugged me.
Me, too. However, it has a very nice side effect. In order to win the game, you must solve at least one puzzle where the contestants are giving the clues.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2012, 12:02:35 AM »
...but when they pull crap like asking about the Berenstain bears, it annoys me to a degree that I don't want to watch anymore.

True, but this was a regular clue, and they ruled against someone who gave the (common) mispronounciation of "Beren-steen".  

While "stain" is technically correct, very few people actually know that it's spelled with an A.

PYLdude

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2012, 12:03:53 AM »

True, but this was a regular clue, and they ruled against someone who gave the (common) mispronounciation of "Beren-steen".  

While "stain" is technically correct, very few people actually know that it's spelled with an A.

Beren-steen is not the pronunciation. There's no technical correction there, it's wrong.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2012, 12:07:56 AM »
I never said it wasn't.

PYLdude

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2012, 12:16:24 AM »
I never said it wasn't.

But the way I read it, you're implying that "Beren-steen" should be called correct.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2012, 12:21:32 AM »
But the way I read it, you're implying that "Beren-steen" should be called correct.
I would have accepted it as correct. Jeopardy has their principles, but they've lost a sense of humanity in the game in return. We are Borg. Resistance is useless. You will be ruled incorrect.

/The worse thing? In the "Bejamin Franklin" episode the winner didn't even bother to cover a right answer by Emily.
Travis L. Eberle