Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 59 years ago today (posted 4/4/12) ...  (Read 5900 times)

Jimmy Owen

59 years ago today (posted 4/4/12) ...
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 06:40:33 AM »
In the Flint market, two of the stations (CBS and PBS stations) did not have local color capabilities in 72 so things that originated from the film chain (off-net reruns of Star Trek, Flipper, etc.) and locally produced shows, like newscasts were in black and white and were noted as such in TVG.  Network feeds were in color, unless they were delayed broadcasts.  By 73, they had obtained color film chains.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:42:14 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 06:55:12 AM »
Being 37 I obviously wasn't around for the black and white transition to color but I get an idea of what it was like, as I've slowly seen HDTV catch on over the past 8 years or so. I got my first HD set in '04 (a tube TV..32", $799) and there wasn't a whole lot to offer in HD yet. Fast forward to 2012 and now even the local NEWS is in HD (and as of Saturday, all the local channels here do the news in HD).

tvmitch

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 09:22:31 AM »
Some of you may know that I'm a big TV Guide collector, not as much since the digest edition was canceled, but I still have lots of back issues. Main draw for me was that I collected issues by geography for the different channel listings, not as much for the covers or stories. This always baffled people.

This weekend, our family was reminiscing about a trip to North Carolina for a family reunion, and we couldn't remember what year we went. I remembered it was 1991 based on the much-loved Charlotte edition TV Guide that sits on my shelf. Also, this made me feel old.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:25:46 AM by tvmitch »
You should follow me on Twitter

trainman

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 10:46:55 PM »
Were ANY shows still in B&W at that point?  I though television had transitioned fully by 1966.  Then again, being born in the 80s makes me no expert on this subject.

Even being born in the '80s, you've perhaps seen a rerun of a black-and-white TV show, or a black-and-white movie being shown on TV -- both of those would get the "BW" designation in TV Guide.
trainman is a man of trains

GrandGame1440

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 10:53:06 PM »
Even being born in the '80s, you've perhaps seen a rerun of a black-and-white TV show, or a black-and-white movie being shown on TV -- both of those would get the "BW" designation in TV Guide.
True, reruns completely slipped my mind. Thanks.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 07:36:45 AM »
Some of you may know that I'm a big TV Guide collector, not as much since the digest edition was canceled, but I still have lots of back issues. Main draw for me was that I collected issues by geography for the different channel listings, not as much for the covers or stories. This always baffled people.

I think most of us who collect the back issues do so for the local listings.  On Ebay, seldom do you see anyone bidding on issues where someone ripped the guts out.  Since they went with the Entertainment Weekly/People size and format TV Guide has no collector value.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.