Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows or parts of games that seem flawed  (Read 10426 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Game shows or parts of games that seem flawed
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2012, 12:25:14 AM »
But the way I read it, you're implying that "Beren-steen" should be called correct.
I would have accepted it as correct. Jeopardy has their principles, but they've lost a sense of humanity in the game in return. We are Borg. Resistance is useless. You will be ruled incorrect.

At ease, Mr. Worf. Point taken, but if I pronounce your last name "eee-burl" I'm sure that'd be called wrong, or if someone pronounced the first syllable in my last name "pale".

Case by case basis, though, I guess.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2012, 12:31:16 AM »
But the way I read it, you're implying that "Beren-steen" should be called correct.
I would have accepted it as correct. Jeopardy has their principles, but they've lost a sense of humanity in the game in return. We are Borg. Resistance is useless. You will be ruled incorrect.

Exactly.  Hell, I grew up with Berenstain Bears books and never even heard the correct pronunciation used until Jeopardy made a deal out of it.  Like Chris said, they're making TV, not fairness, and while it's nice that they're trying to be as fair as possible, from my standpoint they're making the show much less enjoyable to watch in the process.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2012, 12:31:32 AM »
At ease, Mr. Worf.
I just finished the season four finale: Redemption. Good stuff.

Point taken, but if I pronounce your last name "eee-burl" I'm sure that'd be called wrong,
Interesting you mention that. Growing up I had a rather long list of ways that schools and hospitals and various other people/organizations misspelled my name. I'd probably say "It's pronounced 'ebb-early,' but good effort." I'd judge (there's that pesky word again!) whether you know the answer or were just making it up. Since I'm not Travis Smith, I'd give you the benefit.

I would love for Jeopardy to judge on a case-by-case basis.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2012, 12:47:49 AM »
At ease, Mr. Worf.
I just finished the season four finale: Redemption. Good stuff.

I'm not much of a Star Trek fan (TNG especially), but if "I, Borg" isn't one of the best two part episodes of any TV series I've seen, I'd be surprised.

I would love for Jeopardy to judge on a case-by-case basis.

I was kind of speaking more in a GSF sense, if we were Jeopardy! solutions. I mean, Chad Mosher's name looks like it could be pronounced like a word describing some idiot jumping around at a concert flailing for no reason, and if it wasn't for Johnny Gilbert I wouldn't have known that the host of Quizbusters' last name is pronounced with a hard G and not a soft G.

Just for clarification sakes, so all is appearing at least cool. :)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2012, 12:51:48 AM »
Just for clarification sakes, so all is appearing at least cool. :)
Like a cucumber. One of the things I enjoy about the good ol' forum is that people can come here with different ideas, present them, hear the other side, and make their own decisions without any nonsense. We may or may not agree, but by golly, we'll be civil about it. :)
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2012, 01:46:53 AM »
I'd probably say "It's pronounced 'ebb-early,' but good effort."

Honestly, that was my first guess.

The one I don't get is why nearly everyone spells my first name Bobbie and/or asks me how to spell Peacock.
Bobby Peacock

trainman

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 11:07:59 PM »
Exactly.  Hell, I grew up with Berenstain Bears books and never even heard the correct pronunciation used until Jeopardy made a deal out of it.

It could be heard .

And if people don't realize "stain" is pronounced "stain" and not "steen," that's hardly the fault of "Jeopardy!".

[quote name=PYLdude]...and if it wasn't for Johnny Gilbert I wouldn't have known that the host of Quizbusters' last name is pronounced with a hard G and not a soft G.[/quote]

I did, but then, my name also ends with -nger.

However, you wouldn't be called wrong on "Jeopardy!" for that.
trainman is a man of trains