Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid? This guy Gets It  (Read 4298 times)

knagl

• Executive Producer
Pyramid? This guy Gets It
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 03:06:25 AM »
Great article, thanks for the link.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 07:37:09 AM »
The writer mentioning Winning Lines as a tough game that Dick seemed to hold together made another show of his come to mind. With all the comments on Dick's career, I haven't to now read anything about Dick's hosting The Krypton Factor, another UK import. If it's been mentioned, pardon me. It's just that this also was, in my mind, a game that needed someone like Dick to keep things moving smoothly. Not sure if I caught more than one episode, but the memory that rings in my head comes from a situation where a contestant gave an answer that called for s ruling, and I remember Dick calling, "adjudicator?". I know it probably matched the style and terminology used on the original UK show, however, Dick Clark could get away with a call like that. He could say it in a way that didn't make him come off as a pompous showoff. Think about that word coming out of the mouths of some of our other favorites. It would just sound like they were trying to impress us.
Wonder if the judge wore a powdered wig?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 06:53:43 AM by The Ol' Guy »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 07:54:43 AM »
Not sure if I caught more than one episode, but the memory that rings in my head comes from a situation where a contestant gave an answer that called for s ruling, and I remember Dick calling, "adjudicator?".
Not to get all Horanish, but I think it was "Commissioner?"  Either way, you're right, it was an oddly coy thing (they couldn't just have a 'judge'?) made perfectly natural and logical by the way Dick did it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 12:13:47 PM »
Not to get all Horanish, but I think it was "Commissioner?"

Yes it was. Watched the finale recently in tribute. Dick picking up a phone and dialing keys into commercials was equal parts weird and funny.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 06:53:27 AM »
Based on the comments and corrections above - I'll go with you. Perhaps I heard Mr. Clark say what I thought I heard in a different setting. Like on Bandstand. "Though I appreciate the spiritual essence of The Beatles' Hey Jude, I cater more to the lighthearted Zen of The Monkees' Last Train To Clarksville." Yeah...that's it...

Argo

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 10:18:34 PM »
Loved the article and finally someone that did their homework. I don't know if he is a game show fan, but it was the first report that I've seen that not only mentioned Dick Clark hosting a game show, but admitting the existence of anything other than The $25,000 Pyramid and that it was produced by Bob Stewart. All the reports I have seen before led to believe that pyramid was a Dick Clark Production.

On another note, is there any stations airing American Bandstand at all? I know VH1 aired it as special marathon years ago, but there should be somewhere it could be seen in its entirety other than best of dvd collections.

Again great article.

Thanks