Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mike Rowe remembers Dick Clark  (Read 3955 times)

BrandonFG

Mike Rowe remembers Dick Clark
« on: April 29, 2012, 08:29:01 PM »
http://www.mikeroweworks.com/2012/04/dick-clark/

Blog post remembering DC, as Rowe prepared to host the short-lived No Relation in the mid-90s. Great read.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

DoItRockapella

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:01:01 PM »
A nice story...um...wouldn't Seacrest have been about sixteen at the time? Say what you will about cable TV in 1990, I don't think they would have hired a high school kid to host a game show.

"Go For Ryan"?

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 09:06:26 PM »
Not sure if you're joking, but No Relation was 1996. According to IMDb and Wiki, he would've been about 21 at the time...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

J.R.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 09:08:43 PM »
Looking at FX now, it's almost hard to imagine it started as this hipster, artsy network hosted in a coffeehouse/loft setting.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:09:00 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

DoItRockapella

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:12:10 PM »
Not sure if you're joking, but No Relation was 1996. According to IMDb and Wiki, he would've been about 21 at the time...

I wasn't joking - I simply misread the article. You're right - Ryan would have been 22 and have just wrapped Gladiators 2000.

I didn't have a very clear memory of when No Relation aired, so it made sense in my head.

tvrandywest

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 11:46:17 PM »
A nice story...um...wouldn't Seacrest have been about sixteen at the time? Say what you will about cable TV in 1990, I don't think they would have hired a high school kid to host a game show.

"Go For Ryan"?
Ryan did 40 episodes of "Wild Animal Games" for the Family Channel (I announced) in 1995. He said he was 19 at the time. And damned if the kid wasn't so saavy as a host, knowing just how to work the cameras as well as the contestants and animals. It was like he was born on-camera. It was a ball.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

SamJ93

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 05:13:43 AM »
Looking at FX now, it's almost hard to imagine it started as this hipster, artsy network hosted in a coffeehouse/loft setting.

Yep, I remember those days quite well…some really fun and truly original programs on the old fX, including the wacky “Breakfast Time” in the mornings with Tom Bergeron, “Personal fX” with John Burke (an antiques/collectibles show…sort of like “Antiques Roadshow,” but less pretentious) and “Backchat” with Jeff Probst.  As you can see, quite a few well-known hosts today had their first gigs there as well.

All their original shows were broadcast live daily (yes, daily) from the “fX Apartment”…and even their old reruns (of the likes of “Batman,” “The Green Hornet,” and “The Fall Guy”) had live interstitials during the commercials where a network host would give interesting facts about that particular episode or do a comedy bit.

It was all very ambitious, perhaps too ambitious for its time…not to mention very expensive to produce new content every day…and FOX apparently agreed, as they slowly began pulling the plug on all the old shows…”Breakfast Time” moved to FOX proper and became more of a run-of-the-mill morning talk show, the apartment interstitials got cut…I remember “Personal fX” was one of the last shows to hang on, and it looked very out of place among the network’s “new direction.”

Back on topic, I do remember seeing the first few eps. of “No Relation” and not being terribly impressed...Mike doesn’t mention who the celebs actually were, but I remember the “biggest” names being Dennis “Mr. Belding” Haskins and Charles Robinson from "Night Court" (and, more recently at the time, "Home Improvement").  But I really enjoyed the self-effacing way Mike Rowe describes his experiences hosting the show, and of course pays his respects to Mr. Clark.  A great read.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:36:26 AM by SamJ93 »
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 05:25:20 AM »
and the guy who guest-starred as Tim Allen’s boss on “Home Improvement” for about one season.
That gentleman's name is Joel Polis.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

SamJ93

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 05:38:02 AM »
and the guy who guest-starred as Tim Allen’s boss on “Home Improvement” for about one season.
That gentleman's name is Joel Polis.

Dunno if he also appeared in a later episode...but after looking it up I realized I was mistakenly confusing him with Charles Robinson, who actually was on the show for several seasons, not just one.  I've edited my post to correct the mistake.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

calliaume

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 02:03:05 PM »
Wikipedia has Ryan Seacrest as being born in 1974, so that would have made him 21. I still have him being the youngest game show host (unless there's a teenager I'm missing), ahead of Brian Robbins and Annie Wood.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 02:12:25 PM »
Wikipedia has Ryan Seacrest as being born in 1974, so that would have made him 21. I still have him being the youngest game show host (unless there's a teenager I'm missing), ahead of Brian Robbins and Annie Wood.

Nope. JD Roth has him beat [20 when "Fun House" debuted].
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:13:05 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 03:28:10 PM »
When did Brains and Brawn air?  I want to say it was 1992, which would have made Mark-Paul Gosselaar 18...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 03:37:20 PM »
When did Brains and Brawn air?  I want to say it was 1992, which would have made Mark-Paul Gosselaar 18...
92 or 93, can't remember which. I just remember seeing it on summer vacation in Dallas, which would've been either of those years...really wanna say the latter.

DoItRockapella

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 03:59:26 PM »
92 or 93, can't remember which. I just remember seeing it on summer vacation in Dallas, which would've been either of those years...really wanna say the latter.

Wikipedia has Brains And Brawn listed as Summer 1993, which would have made Mark-Paul 19...yet at the same time, Ryan Seacrest appears to have hosted Radical Outdoor Challenge that year, at roughly the same age.

I guess the point is, it's not really clear who the youngest ever game show host is. It certainly isn't Jack Linkletter, who is still occasionally credited with this record for hosting Haggis Baggis at the ripe old age of 21.

chad1m

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »
Hal Sparks, the host of the easily forgettable Treasure Mall, was 18 during the recording of his hosted program. He turned 19 a couple of weeks after its final episode aired.