Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is Alex Trebek starting to lose it?  (Read 7317 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Is Alex Trebek starting to lose it?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 11:36:50 PM »
Well put. Why not go out after another big number?
Because that particular round number has significance as it is traditionally the amount of time that qualifies one for a full pension.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 01:00:46 AM »
Because that particular round number has significance as it is traditionally the amount of time that qualifies one for a full pension.

That was a rhetorical question.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 01:02:10 AM »
That was a rhetorical question.
Coulda fooled me.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:02:48 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

Bryce L.

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 05:10:46 PM »
Here's my personal rule of thumb: If it is on the cover of the Enquirer, I automatically write it off as being patently untrue.

clemon79

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »
Here's my personal rule of thumb: If it is on the cover of the Enquirer, I automatically write it off as being patently untrue.
Well, it's a shame that you're cutting corners in that way, because they've hit the nail on the head on stories they have broken (c.f. O.J. Simpson's book "If I Did It", Rush Limbaugh's addiction to painkillers, John Edwards' infidelity) more than once.

Bryce L.

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 07:18:09 PM »
Well, it's a shame that you're cutting corners in that way, because they've hit the nail on the head on stories they have broken (c.f. O.J. Simpson's book "If I Did It", Rush Limbaugh's addiction to painkillers, John Edwards' infidelity) more than once.
I guess I may have to reevaluate that line of thought...

Unrealtor

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 09:58:38 PM »

Yeah. The story reads to me like Tabloid Journalism 101. Take something you can prove (game show host flubs question), add filler (aging game show host with history of heart disease flubs question), turn it into a question so that you can say you didn't actually claim anything that isn't true (Is Alex Trebek losing it?).
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Otm Shank

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 12:00:07 AM »
Add to it the reliance on an "anonymous source," which, depending on what state you are in, would be shielded from being identified in a court of law. Knowing that, a journalist can shortcut the process to fabricate the source to advance the story.

Hell, there isn't even any verification of the blooper happening in the first place. (Pssst! The evidence is that the gaffe is edited from the show.)

Thus, the tabloider takes a rumor, never calls/e-mails/faxes/tweets/IMs/texts/passengerpigeons anyone for a statement/corroboration/denial, creates a source to speak through, cranks out a story (literally, a story) in less than 10 minutes, and probably has his check direct deposited so that he never has to leave his windowless basement through the whole process.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 12:02:18 AM by Otm Shank »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 04:35:21 AM »
Add to it the reliance on an "anonymous source," which, depending on what state you are in, would be shielded from being identified in a court of law. Knowing that, a journalist can shortcut the process to fabricate the source to advance the story.

Hell, there isn't even any verification of the blooper happening in the first place. (Pssst! The evidence is that the gaffe is edited from the show.)

Thus, the tabloider takes a rumor, never calls/e-mails/faxes/tweets/IMs/texts/passengerpigeons anyone for a statement/corroboration/denial, creates a source to speak through, cranks out a story (literally, a story) in less than 10 minutes, and probably has his check direct deposited so that he never has to leave his windowless basement through the whole process.
That is different from Wikipedia how?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 01:17:47 PM »
People aren't getting paid to write Wikipedia articles, and people aren't paying to read them. 0/10.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:18:25 PM by Kevin Prather »

Bryce L.

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 08:21:32 PM »
People aren't getting paid to write Wikipedia articles, and people aren't paying to read them. 0/10.
But a lot of the time there is as much truth in a Wikipedia article as there is in a tabloid article... so points to both Jimmy and otmshank, I say!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:22:28 PM by Bryce L. »

clemon79

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 08:24:13 PM »
But a lot of the time there is as much truth in a Wikipedia article as there is in a tabloid article... so points to both Jimmy and otmshank, I say!
Yes, you certainly do.

/wow

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 08:39:41 PM »

References section is your friend.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

dale_grass

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 09:04:08 PM »

Pssst!  There was a studio full of witnesses.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 10:59:48 PM »