Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about the G-T Gameshows  (Read 3201 times)

14gameshows

Question about the G-T Gameshows
« on: May 12, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »
USA Network and the Family Channel both had a gameshow block back in the 80s-90s and we saw great shows from the Hatos-Hall, Reg Grundy, Bob Stewart, Barry-Enright libraries along with a  host of others. How come Goodson-Todman shows weren't shown? Was there a "lack" of interest? High license fees? Goodson not interested?  Any thoughts?

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 05:32:03 PM »
FWIW, CBN showed "Card Sharks" and "Blockbusters" in the early-80s, but not sure why Family Channel didn't, other than license fees.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 06:04:48 PM »
I'd think high license fees if anything, but then again, that's apparently what's kept GSN from airing "Scrabble", SOTC, and "Concentration".
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:05:35 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 06:50:15 PM »
I'd think high license fees if anything, but then again, that's apparently what's kept GSN from airing "Scrabble", SOTC, and "Concentration".
Scrabble and $ale, I'm pretty sure you're right. Concentration, on the other hand. has not only never been a Fremantle property (NBC owns it, bought from Barry-Enright some weeks into the original run) but as far as I know has never had any licensing fees ever put on the episodes. I remember reading that GSN tried to license the Goodson-produced versions in 1994 or so and NBC flat-out refused (yet apparently bothered to convert the Trebek shows to digibeta).
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Bryce L.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 09:37:38 PM »
FWIW, CBN showed "Card Sharks" and "Blockbusters" in the early-80s, but not sure why Family Channel didn't, other than license fees.
Question, wasn't Family Channel nothing more than CBN under new ownership?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »
Question, wasn't Family Channel nothing more than CBN under new ownership?
Well it was the same ownership but a change of name.  When Fox bought it it became Fox Family and then when ABC bought it it became ABC Family.  Those two G-T shows were placed into syndication in the early 80s, so the deal was made with the syndicator rather than G-T itself.  When FAM started "The Games on FAM" it was sort of a dry run of what "The Game Channel" would have looked like.  By that time the Goodson shows were tied up with what became GSN.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.