Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Free Play space vs Free Spin  (Read 10166 times)

wdm1219inpenna

Free Play space vs Free Spin
« on: May 20, 2012, 05:58:38 AM »
I believe the rule is as follows:

If a player lands on the "Free Play" space, they can solve the puzzle at that moment, but if they are wrong, they do not lose their turn.

Suppose this happened.  Can the player attempt to re-solve it, if they realized the error they had just made?  If they goof again, and if I understand this correctly, then they would lose their turn.

Also, if there are any letters missing, why wouldn't a player select a consonant first?  This way they'd score another $500 (or more depending on if it was a repeat).  

Suppose there are nothing but vowels left, and the player doesn't want to spend $250 on a vowel.  Could they be allowed to try to spin the "Free Play" space to get a free vowel?  I guess I am somewhat "old school".  I'd rather they just kept the dang "Free Spin" token.  Heck, I still wish they would have kept the "Free Spin" space for at least the first 2 rounds.

Bryce L.

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 10:50:23 AM »
I still wish they would have kept the "Free Spin" space for at least the first 2 rounds.
You DO realize there is a legitimate reason they scrapped the "Free Spin" space in favor of the single "Free Spin" token, right?

...To the best of my understanding, they scrapped the "Free Spin" wedge because too many players were getting "crafty" about their method of spinning the wheel, explicitly aiming for the "Free Spin" space just to get the token; they did that so, later on when they were having rotten luck with the wheel or were just out-and-out ignoring the Used Letter Board, they could turn in 5 or 6 tokens in rapid succession so as to perpetually keep their turn, and effectively "freeze out" either of the other two players from having any chance at the wheel or board...

...in my own personal opinion, that was too close to trying to cheat Merv Griffin Enterprises and NBC Television (later CBS Television) out of money and prizes, in similar fashion to how Paul Michael Larson absconded with $104,950 in cash, directly siphoned out of Carruthers Company's and CBS Television's collective bank accounts, with no legal recourse for them...

...and just like Press Your Luck deliberately upgraded their board-controller hardware just so they could run more lists of patterns for the board to operate by, and to prevent another "runaway player" like Larson; and I firmly believe Wheel of Fortune deliberately scrapped the "Free Spin" space to explicitly tilt the odds in favor of the house once more, lashing back against the crafty spinners...

..does this argument make sense to you at all?

/dead serious about my question of you understanding; I have in face-to-face conversations been outright told "don't use such big words, you sound like you're trying to patronize me"

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »
More like talking down to me rather than patronizing.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Casey

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 12:26:19 PM »
...in my own personal opinion, that was too close to trying to cheat Merv Griffin Enterprises and NBC Television (later CBS Television) out of money and prizes, in similar fashion to how Paul Michael Larson absconded with $104,950 in cash, directly siphoned out of Carruthers Company's and CBS Television's collective bank accounts, with no legal recourse for them...

ab·scond/abˈskänd/
Verb:   
Leave hurriedly and secretly, typically to avoid detection or arrest.
(of someone on bail) Fail to surrender oneself for custody at the appointed time.
Synonyms:   
flee - escape - run away - elope - get away

This is where your argument, at least to me, falls completely apart.  You are making the assertion that what Larson did was illegal, unethical, or that he tried to get away with something.  Their game was flawed, and Larson took advantage of the flaw.  To borrow from Mr. Ottinger,  Words Have Meanings.

Bryce L.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 01:02:29 PM »

ab·scond/abˈskänd/
Verb:   
Leave hurriedly and secretly, typically to avoid detection or arrest.
(of someone on bail) Fail to surrender oneself for custody at the appointed time.
Synonyms:   
flee - escape - run away - elope - get away

This is where your argument, at least to me, falls completely apart.  You are making the assertion that what Larson did was illegal, unethical, or that he tried to get away with something.  Their game was flawed, and Larson took advantage of the flaw.  To borrow from Mr. Ottinger,  Words Have Meanings.
Thank you for shoving me off my soapbox, that's what I needed this morning!

Bryce L.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »
Right, getting dangerously close to Zach Horan territory, in any case...

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 01:15:35 PM »
No, no, no. Zach was more of an arrogant, obnoxious know-it-all who knew the rules but didn't care, or knew just how to skirt the rules without incurring a penalty. Again, you'd have to do a lot to get close to his territory.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Bryce L.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 01:26:45 PM »
No, no, no. Zach was more of an arrogant, obnoxious know-it-all who knew the rules but didn't care, or knew just how to skirt the rules without incurring a penalty. Again, you'd have to do a lot to get close to his territory.
Thank you, I just sent a letter Matt's way asking him to put me back onto "Moderated" status, for reasons I'm only comfortable sharing with Mr. Ottinger himself...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »
Thank you, I just sent a letter Matt's way asking him to put me back onto "Moderated" status, for reasons I'm only comfortable sharing with Mr. Ottinger himself...
Oh good lord.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GrandGame1440

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »
Did I miss something here?  How do you get from point A to point B like that?

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »
Oh good lord.

I didn't feel patronized at all, just a bit saddened that this topic went way off tangent, and the questions I posed about the Free Play space weren't answered is all :)

chad1m

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »
Can the player attempt to re-solve it, if they realized the error they had just made?
Yep.  

If they goof again, and if I understand this correctly, then they would lose their turn.
Right.

Also, if there are any letters missing, why wouldn't a player select a consonant first?  This way they'd score another $500 (or more depending on if it was a repeat).
Because vowels are often more plentiful and if your first turn in a round is on a Free Play, why not get a vowel since you're broke? There's also potential to use a multiple on a larger amount instead of $500.

Suppose there are nothing but vowels left, and the player doesn't want to spend $250 on a vowel.  Could they be allowed to try to spin the "Free Play" space to get a free vowel?
No.

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 04:24:06 PM »
Suppose there are nothing but vowels left, and the player doesn't want to spend $250 on a vowel.  Could they be allowed to try to spin the "Free Play" space to get a free vowel?
No.
God help me, but this actually raises a question for me. Is it specified what happens if a puzzle is down to only vowels and a player for whatever reason doesn't have the $250 to pay for one? I'm gonna guess they would be obligated to attempt to solve, even if they have no idea, since that is the only available option they can afford, yes?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:24:34 PM by clemon79 »

chad1m

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 04:27:02 PM »
Is it specified what happens if a puzzle is down to only vowels and a player for whatever reason doesn't have the $250 to pay for one?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have to attempt a solve or just let time run out. It's a pretty rare position to be in nowadays, though.

clemon79

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 04:32:09 PM »
Is it specified what happens if a puzzle is down to only vowels and a player for whatever reason doesn't have the $250 to pay for one?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have to attempt a solve or just let time run out. It's a pretty rare position to be in nowadays, though.
Yeah, as I was typing it the pure obviousness of it became more and more, erm, obvious. Of the three options you have on your turn, two are free. If one of those is removed because of a lack of consonants and you can't afford the paid option, you do the other. No need to have a special rule about it or anything, it's all pieced together in other rules.