Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another short-lived NBC treasure...  (Read 4904 times)

wdm1219inpenna

Another short-lived NBC treasure...
« on: May 20, 2012, 06:05:05 AM »
I was just 16 when "Hit Man" debuted on NBC.  It was different to be sure, but I've come to have an entirely new appreciation for the program and its concept almost 30 years after the fact.

Jay Wolpert was great for thinking "outside the box" when it came to quiz shows such as this, and "Whew!".  The last out of the box game show concept prior to these was probably Merv Griffin's Jeopardy!  

I think "Hit Man" would be a great game for classrooms to use as a fun way to promote better comprehension on subjects.  Hit Man was entertaining and educational, and it also had a lot of visually appealing and colorful elements to the game.  Rod Roddy announcing and Peter Tomarken hosting really made "Hit Man" a diamond in the rough.  It's too bad the viewership for this game was so low.  I've been enjoying the few episodes that I have been able to find on youtube.

What was/is your take on "Hit Man"?  Do you remember when it debuted on NBC?  I happened to have gotten very sick over the 1982 winter recess I had from school, and I was actually home sick on Monday, January 3rd, 1983, so I was able to watch the debut of $ale of the Century, Hit Man & Just Men.  Sadly, in doing so, I missed the debut of Plinko.

I know the very talented Randy West frequents this board, and that he was the last champion on the show.  If memory serves, he won $1,200.  I'd love to hear from you Randy about your impressions of the game, the set, Peter, Rod, etc.  It must have been disappointing to not have been able to defend your championship.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:07:27 AM by wdm1219inpenna »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 06:57:45 AM »
It was okay.  It was somewhat misleading to promote it as a Pac-Man/Space Invaders homage.  Certainly not strong enough to compete against TPIR.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:07:39 AM »
It was okay.  It was somewhat misleading to promote it as a Pac-Man/Space Invaders homage.  Certainly not strong enough to compete against TPIR.

I think that's what ultimately caused "Hit Man" to have a short shelf life; taking a memory quiz where you had to watch the whole show to play the game, and wrapping it around a video game theme that most adults had not embraced yet turned off possible viewers from either side. Also, the fact that it replaced a soap and opposite TPIR..... chances are whatever show NBC had placed there did not have much of a chance anyway.

Tyshaun

Bryce L.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:10:03 AM »
As for myself, I'm too young to remember "Hit Man" outside of reading about it on Mike Klauss' site or seeing Chris Lambert's rulesheet for it (back when Mr. Lambert's site was still hosted in the Television City part of GeoCities too!)...

...I've still got my copy of the Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows, Third Edition, that was bought for me in 2000 or so (even though it is now very much dog-eared and is missing its first several pages and last several pages)...

...Dang, guys, I'm probably starting to sound like a younger version of Randy Amasia [God rest him, I remember seeing his Whew! page when he was alive, and hearing the tragedy of how his search for his second show ended]...

...I better shut up now, before I get flagged for the world's worst run-on post or else completely hijacking the thread...

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:21:49 PM »
I've seen a few episodes of Hit-Man, and it was a great show. I enjoyed every moment of it. Peter Tomarken was just as personable of a host on this show, as he was on Press Your Luck. To me, the show felt like an earlier version of "The Steps of Knowledge" from LOTHT and the 2003 GSN original Cram.

Also, I like the idea of having the two winning contestants in the first round compete against the returning champion in the second.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:30:01 PM by gameshowlover87 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:29:53 PM »
I always liked the idea of eliminating your opponent's "points", but it could've worked just as a straight Q&A. The memory aspect didn't really add much, but I prolly would've made the Triple Crown an independent memory quiz, and not based on earlier rounds.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

That Don Guy

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 12:46:40 PM »
The thing that stands out for me was "the two Rod Roddys" - when you hear him do the narration of the two "movies", it's hard to believe it's the same guy that did the opening.

When I first heard him do a game show, I thought, "Wait - that's the guy that does the opening on Soap?"

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »
...Dang, guys, I'm probably starting to sound like a younger version of Randy Amasia
Huh?  Wha?  Please don't disrespect the deceased.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »
My memories of Hit Man were not as impressive. An okay game...but the idea of passing it off as a video game variation when it was pretty much a straight memory quiz just made it feel awkward. I just watched again on You Tube, and the opinion sticks. You just have video game-style characters replacing numbers in a game of counting down and being the last one in. Still, I always enjoyed the information gathered for the video story clips. Very interesting tidbits.

tvrandywest

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 02:07:54 PM »
I was just 16 when "Hit Man" debuted on NBC.  It was different to be sure, but I've come to have an entirely new appreciation for the program and its concept almost 30 years after the fact.

Jay Wolpert was great for thinking "outside the box" when it came to quiz shows such as this, and "Whew!".  The last out of the box game show concept prior to these was probably Merv Griffin's Jeopardy!  

I think "Hit Man" would be a great game for classrooms to use as a fun way to promote better comprehension on subjects.  Hit Man was entertaining and educational, and it also had a lot of visually appealing and colorful elements to the game.  Rod Roddy announcing and Peter Tomarken hosting really made "Hit Man" a diamond in the rough.  It's too bad the viewership for this game was so low.  I've been enjoying the few episodes that I have been able to find on youtube.

What was/is your take on "Hit Man"?  Do you remember when it debuted on NBC?  I happened to have gotten very sick over the 1982 winter recess I had from school, and I was actually home sick on Monday, January 3rd, 1983, so I was able to watch the debut of $ale of the Century, Hit Man & Just Men.  Sadly, in doing so, I missed the debut of Plinko.

I know the very talented Randy West frequents this board, and that he was the last champion on the show.  If memory serves, he won $1,200.  I'd love to hear from you Randy about your impressions of the game, the set, Peter, Rod, etc.  It must have been disappointing to not have been able to defend your championship.

No wonder my ears were burning. Either you were typing about me, or a bed bug was nesting next to my tympanic membrane!

I first met Jay Wolpert when called to audition for "Hit Man"; Fred Wostbrock was one of the contestant coordinators, and I was in his file of contestants. I immediately loved Jay; he's brilliant, fun and funny, and he clearly took a liking to me. We were both from the Bronx, and he reminded me of old friends. In fact, Jay and I are still friends today.

I agree that the game would be a perfect teaching tool. Beyond the video game inspiration which had no appeal to me personally, the format was like a high school reading comprehension test. It seemed to me that without a great memory for details, the luck could come from the random chance that I'd know something about the topic. I was always aware that I had a limited number of appearances (I think it was 1 a year, 3 in 5 years). I figured I'd happily take my chances because this was a cash show instead of a show where I might win a bunch of prizes that I'd have little use for.

I remember the show taped at NBC; like all the shows of that era, the set was bright, colorful and visually stimulating - not a black floor or varilight in sight. I remember I was becomming nervous after the Wednesday show taped thinking that I might not get on, as the contestant pool always has a few extra people. Finally I was called to play by Fred and took my place on the set. As I did at "Press Your Luck," I ignored the fact that Rod Roddy and I had become too friendly for any interpretation of the rules against this sort of thing. I didn't see it as a real issue, and thankfully Rod never mentioned anything. After all, he never knew I was a contestant until he saw me walk on set. He didn't have access to the questions, and if he had, he certainly wasn't going to jeopardize his career.

Just before tape rolled, Jay shared a word of encouragement with each contestant. I told him I had become afraid that he wasn't going to use me. He said he purposely saved me for the last episode because he thought I'd win and give the show a good finale. I really appreciated that vote of confidence, even though I later bungled the bonus round.

I did my big smiling, friendly, semi-charming thing that producers seemed to like, and that got me on so many of these shows. I remember there was actually some S&P issue during taping that I don't recall, and an entire video and its questions were thrown out. I think the topic that was deleted was about the seven wonders of the world - if that one is not on the show, then I'm right; if it's on the show, I forgot the tossed topic.

Like most of my appearances, I remember realizing I was behind. I often felt like I was losing on these shows, and then something would happen that allowed me to pull ahead. I was happy to win, but felt my heart sinking during the bonus round as I apparently picked the columns with the most questions. And damn, I couldn't remember that answer about Gene Kelly - "Dancing, a Man's Game."  I really felt I let Jay down with that loss. He didn't seem to care as much as I did.

The coolest thing was that I spoke with the paralegal from NBC S&P (actually called "Compliance" at that net) who explained that because I had been denied the opportunity to appear on the next episode to defend my championship, that they would not count this appearance against me in the eligibility requirements for other appearances! I asked for it in writing, and in a few days I got a letter that allowed me to appear just a few months later on another show.

The best thing from the experience was that Jay Wolpert started to invite me to play his games that were in development. I was soon in his inner circle; I learned so much from the exposure to the workings of the biz, and formed a friendship that allowed me to try my hand at writing for games.

All in all, a treasured memory!  Thanks for asking!!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 02:12:47 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 02:27:23 PM »
and wrapping it around a video game theme that most adults had not embraced yet
I don't think it was a matter of adults "not yet" embracing it, so much as the demographic who DID embrace it had not yet become adults...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 03:16:16 PM »
The thing that stands out for me was "the two Rod Roddys" - when you hear him do the narration of the two "movies", it's hard to believe it's the same guy that did the opening.

When I first heard him do a game show, I thought, "Wait - that's the guy that does the opening on Soap?"

Actually it was Peter who narrated the stories on the show.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »

I did my big smiling, friendly, semi-charming thing that producers seemed to like, and that got me on so many of these shows. I remember there was actually some S&P issue during taping that I don't recall, and an entire video and its questions were thrown out. I think the topic that was deleted was about the seven wonders of the world - if that one is not on the show, then I'm right; if it's on the show, I forgot the tossed topic.

For the record, you're right.  The other topic besides Gene Kelly was Vice-Presidents of the U.S.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 04:19:13 PM »
Actually it was Peter who narrated the stories on the show.
Well no WONDER it was so hard to believe!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »
Fun exercise, but I think I like it better as used on other shows, such as Survivor, Legends or Brainsurge. The Triple Crown bonus is a terrific mix of knowledge/memory retention and stank-assed luck.

No, I don't think the video game chrome helped or hurt it, no I don't think it should be revived.
Travis L. Eberle