Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid is Casting  (Read 5003 times)

Matt Ottinger

Pyramid is Casting
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:07:37 PM »
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/tlg/3032538656.html

The ad is pretty straightforward and vaguely encouraging, as they evoke the memory of Dick Clark and say they're looking for "contestants who know how to play the game".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Matt Miller

Pyramid is Casting
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/tlg/3032538656.html

The ad is pretty straightforward and vaguely encouraging, as they evoke the memory of Dick Clark and say they're looking for "contestants who know how to play the game".
Is this for another pilot or did it finally get picked up?
Matt

Jay Temple

Pyramid is Casting
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »
Matt O: You picked up on exactly the same phrase I did. It sets it apart from various other recent shows, where ability to play the game takes a back seat to photogen... uh ... -icity?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Matt Ottinger

Pyramid is Casting
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 05:23:03 PM »
The judges will accept 'photogenicity'.

tvwxman

Pyramid is Casting
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 10:40:23 PM »
The judges will accept 'photogenicity'.
Ding! yep.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Otm Shank

Pyramid is Casting
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 12:48:08 AM »
Pilot.

mmb5

Pyramid is Casting
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 08:38:58 AM »
Pilot.
(citation needed).  Just asking because I don't want to expend a whole bunch of energy and money to try out for a pilot.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Pyramid is Casting
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 09:00:37 AM »
Pilot.
(citation needed).  Just asking because I don't want to expend a whole bunch of energy and money to try out for a pilot.

http://buzzerblog.flashgameshows.com/gsns-pyramid-revival-now-casting/

"The pilot will tape on June 11th and, if successful, the remaining 39 episodes begin taping July 24th."
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

mmb5

Pyramid is Casting
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 10:16:27 AM »
http://buzzerblog.flashgameshows.com/gsns-pyramid-revival-now-casting/

"The pilot will tape on June 11th and, if successful, the remaining 39 episodes begin taping July 24th."
Thank you.  Energy will have to be expended.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Jimmy Owen

Pyramid is Casting
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »
A friend of mine who makes his living as an audience member in Cali says Andy Richter will host.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Jay Temple

Pyramid is Casting
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »
A friend of mine who makes his living as an audience member in Cali says Andy Richter will host.
I'm not being snarky here, because there's not much about show biz economics that would surprise me. Is that hyperbole, or does he actually make a living at it?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BillCullen1

Pyramid is Casting
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 12:15:38 PM »
Hey, if they can give away $100K on Engvall Lingo, they might do it on the new Pyramid as well. As for the host, I personally don't have a problem with Andy Richter. That might be why they're doing it in L.A., since that's where Conan tapes.

Matt Ottinger

Pyramid is Casting
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 12:19:46 PM »
I'm not being snarky here, because there's not much about show biz economics that would surprise me. Is that hyperbole, or does he actually make a living at it?
Probably not much of a living.  While paid audiences are becoming more and more common, they can't possibly be paid much more than minimum wage.  Sitting in air-conditioned comfort and clapping when Randy West tells you to clap is probably easier work than the fast-food drive-through, but not much more lucrative.

Jimmy Owen

Pyramid is Casting
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 12:33:31 PM »
Probably not much of a living.  While paid audiences are becoming more and more common, they can't possibly be paid much more than minimum wage.  Sitting in air-conditioned comfort and clapping when Randy West tells you to clap is probably easier work than the fast-food drive-through, but not much more lucrative.
He's trying to break into acting but does paid audience work until that opportunity arises.  It's usually an 8 hour day when he does it.  He does a fair number of the court shows and Byron Allen productions as well to get by.  By no means has he reached his career goals, it's a supplement.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Brig Bother

Pyramid is Casting
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »

It's interesting, I've been to loads of game show recordings (in the UK) and they're very rarely much fun for the audience. It's a much more difficult job than you might think - seats are usually uncomfortable with not as much leg room as you'd like, the stop start nature of a lot of shows means a lot of boring downtime, the production team don't tend to like people going for toilet breaks despite a 3-5 hour (plus!) session... I've often felt that the better the audience is treated, the more confident the producers are in their show. I've been to shows where 90% of the audience at the start have gone by the end.

In some European countries such as Germany, you actually have to pay for tickets.