Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune Megaword question  (Read 10825 times)

whewfan

Wheel of Fortune Megaword question
« on: May 24, 2012, 06:19:22 PM »
I could've sworn there was a Megaword puzzle, I think it started with A... The guy that solved the puzzle of course had to use the word in a sentence, but instead of using the word properly, he made a pun of the word in the sentence... and I THINK they still gave it to him (I don't think they DIDN'T accept a sentence... a lot of leeway, which I am sure was one of the many reasons Pat obviously disliked the category)

Does anyone happen to remember what the word was and how he used it in a sentence?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 06:22:43 PM »
Not sure about a pun, but The WoF Wiki mentions one time a sentence wasn't accepted. The sentence was "None of us knew what 'proliferation' meant."

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »
I still can't believe anyone on the staff thought that Megaword was a good idea. Particularly when the answer was OXIDIZED.

I wonder how many other puzzles in the main game haven't had T, N, S, H or R? Only other one I know of is PAYDAY as a Speed-Up in 1999. (I think this round may have been cut for time, too, since I can't imagine contestants going for H, D, P, M, etc. without having first taken care of the more common consonants.)
Bobby Peacock

Jay Temple

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 12:30:21 AM »
I remember a puzzle in the "clue" category: OZ DOG. It was the first or second puzzle of the game, long before they had toss-ups.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 02:47:44 AM »
I remember a puzzle in the "clue" category: OZ DOG. It was the first or second puzzle of the game, long before they had toss-ups.

And if Clue was still around today, the same basic puzzle would probably now look like this.

Twentington

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 05:26:40 AM »

I am convinced that someone on Wheel's puzzle-writing staff at the time had a cruel sense of humor.
Bobby Peacock

Jay Temple

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 09:56:18 AM »
I got the impression that Pat thought the same thing.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 12:08:46 PM »
Funny, when I saw that puzzle, I went for "dingo."
Travis L. Eberle

MyronMMeyer

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »
Funny, when I saw that puzzle, I went for "dingo."

"Maybe the dingo ate your munchkin."
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:13:33 PM by MyronMMeyer »

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 09:12:14 AM »
Sadly I don't remember the "A" word for Megaword.  I do remember hating this category, and I also hated the "Use it in a sentence" idea.  Had I solved it, my sentence would have been "Tonight's Megaword solution on Wheel of Fortune was antidisestablishmentarianism."

dmota104

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 01:27:30 PM »
Had I solved it, my sentence would have been "Tonight's Megaword solution on Wheel of Fortune was antidisestablishmentarianism."

Sure that wouldn't fall in the category of Really Long Word?  :)

Oddly enough, I would've done something similar.  "I'm using the word 'hornswoggle' in a sentence."

Only way I could see Megaword justified: Instead of using it in a sentence, offer three different definitions and have the player pick the correct one (a la "Wordplay", "Oh My Word!").

Bobby B.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 02:52:28 PM »
Giving the definition would have made much more sense.  As evidenced by the examples given above, it's very easy to put a word in a sentence without knowing the meaning of it (though I'd do the same if I was a contestant).

Twentington

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »
Only way I could see Megaword justified: Instead of using it in a sentence, offer three different definitions and have the player pick the correct one (a la "Wordplay", "Oh My Word!").

I had suggested that before, actually. It's not entirely out of the question, since I've seen them use multiple-choice before with the "extra" questions they used to put after some puzzles. I even saw them do that with a Slogan puzzle once.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:38:30 PM by Matt Ottinger »
Bobby Peacock

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »
Had I solved it, my sentence would have been "Tonight's Megaword solution on Wheel of Fortune was antidisestablishmentarianism."

Sure that wouldn't fall in the category of Really Long Word?  :)

Oddly enough, I would've done something similar.  "I'm using the word 'hornswoggle' in a sentence."

"Oh My Word!"...That is a VERY clever category for Megaword!  Brilliant!  The idea of the 3 definitions too is an outstanding idea!  I really enjoyed Wordplay too, miss it.  Hard to believe that was Tom Kennedy's final show, and that was a quarter century ago :(

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 06:01:22 PM »
That was gonna be the format for my adaptation of "Words Have Meanings" if I could have wrested the rights from Matt Ottinger Productions.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.