Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Price is Right question  (Read 2105 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The Price is Right question
« on: June 06, 2012, 06:56:32 AM »
Unable to sleep, I popped in the TPiR DVD and viewed disc one for the first time.  I was watching an episode from 1957 and assume from the lower quality prizes, it must be from the daytime version.  I also noticed there was no minimum bid or bid increments.  Was this something that didn't come until later, or was it a primetime only thing?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 11:08:30 AM »
They started to use opening bids and minimums when the larger prizes arrived, probably on the nighttime version.  There was no need for that on the  daytime show which had understandably lesser prizes.  Unless later on (and this is just a guess) they decided to occasionally offer something spectacular on the daytime show as a special treat, thus opening bid and minimums.

This brings to mind another question... when the buzzer sounded for final bids, I'm assuming that was just based on time, no?

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:56:03 PM »
They started to use opening bids and minimums when the larger prizes arrived, probably on the nighttime version.  There was no need for that on the  daytime show which had understandably lesser prizes.  Unless later on (and this is just a guess) they decided to occasionally offer something spectacular on the daytime show as a special treat, thus opening bid and minimums.

This brings to mind another question... when the buzzer sounded for final bids, I'm assuming that was just based on time, no?

I have no knowledge, but I would assume the answer is yes, due to time constraints.  Otherwise, you could potentially have 30 minutes of people bidding endlessly on one prize, and I'm sure all of the prize sponsors wanted to get mentioned on the program, so I would say time is a very reasonable reason.

tvwxman

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 06:33:00 PM »

I have no knowledge,

Then don't post.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

J.R.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 06:36:54 PM »
I have no knowledge,

Then don't post.
Could this be put up in giant, bold letters on the header, right next to Bill Cullen?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:37:10 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

dale_grass

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:51:02 PM »
I have no knowledge,
Then don't post.
Could this be put up in giant, bold letters on the header, right next to Bill Cullen?
Seconded.

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 04:07:46 AM »

I have no knowledge,

Then don't post.

Excuse me.  I would appreciate if you would keep your rude comments to yourself.  I have always tried to be respectful, and tried to stay on topic when replying to other peoples' questions on here.  I have never been rude to anything you or others have posted, and would greatly appreciate the same consideration.

So, to quote you, if you have nothing constructive to add, "Then don't post".

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:00:04 AM »
Excuse me.  I would appreciate if you would keep your rude comments to yourself.  I have always tried to be respectful, and tried to stay on topic when replying to other peoples' questions on here.  I have never been rude to anything you or others have posted, and would greatly appreciate the same consideration.

So, to quote you, if you have nothing constructive to add, "Then don't post".
You may not like the way Matt S. said it, but he's got a point: if you don't know the answer to a question like that, why are you posting two-screen-long replies when as you said, you don't know? Speculation of "Why did they put in the minimum raise?" doesn't really do a whole lot of good. I have some ideas, but I don't know definitively so I don't put them out there.
Travis L. Eberle