Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid Pilot  (Read 49708 times)

JMFabiano

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2012, 07:49:56 PM »
Would you honestly not want the 1991 version to have had a longer run?
It wasn't going to with that ninny at the helm, is my point. The host's role on that show is a little more important than you've giving it credit for.

True dat...case in point: TTD90 actually didn't really change much (outside of the reset pot on a tie, and the modified CBS era bonus game).  But what will most people remember it for?   Two words: "YOU WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!"  

A good game can do a lot of the carrying of the show, but cheesy elements, host included, do distract.  

/Yeah, I know, two more words: RAPPING DRAGON.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »
Would you honestly not want the 1991 version to have had a longer run?
It wasn't going to with that ninny at the helm, is my point. The host's role on that show is a little more important than you've giving it credit for.

True dat...case in point: TTD90 actually didn't really change much (outside of the reset pot on a tie, and the modified CBS era bonus game).  But what will most people remember it for?   Two words: "YOU WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!"  

A good game can do a lot of the carrying of the show, but cheesy elements, host included, do distract.  

/Yeah, I know, two more words: RAPPING DRAGON.

Not to mention the a) possibility a player couldn't win the bonus round with the symbol they chose, b) the resetting of the pot basically rendering ties useless, and c) the cheapness of the bonus round in comparison to the front game (IMO).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2012, 08:41:48 PM »
Not to mention the a) possibility a player couldn't win the bonus round with the symbol they chose,
Which is untrue, because you always had a 1/x chance of winning the game on the next turn. Yes, there were times when you could not win the game in the more pleasing (and bank building) tic-tac-dough way, but you could always win.

b) the resetting of the pot basically rendering ties useless, and
Increasing the value of each symbol isn't quite "useless."

c) the cheapness of the bonus round in comparison to the front game (IMO).
I have a harder time quibbling this point, especially after a tie game.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

PYLdude

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
Not to mention the a) possibility a player couldn't win the bonus round with the symbol they chose,
Which is untrue, because you always had a 1/x chance of winning the game on the next turn. Yes, there were times when you could not win the game in the more pleasing (and bank building) tic-tac-dough way, but you could always win.

I shall rephrase then. The layout of the bonus round itself wasn't good. The shuffling of the boxes was unnecessary, choosing the symbol was unnecessary, and turning the bonus round into a dragon slayer hunt was just not good execution.

b) the resetting of the pot basically rendering ties useless, and
Increasing the value of each symbol isn't quite "useless."

No, but working to build up $4,000 in a pot only to have it suddenly disappear is useless, wouldn't you say? At least the original series let you continue to build the pot for each tie (which, although the stakes didn't increase, IMO is a better way to do it).

c) the cheapness of the bonus round in comparison to the front game (IMO).
I have a harder time quibbling this point, especially after a tie game.

There ya go. I mean, the most you could've won in the bonus round cashwise was what, eight large? Add that to the prize and it just barely put you over ten grand- and that's only if you can manage to find all of your alloted symbols while making the tic-tac-dough or finding the dragon slayer.

At least with TJW from that year things were somewhat consistent- you could win over $2K in the front game and your prize haul would usually come in around the same amount unless you hit the Joker Jackpot. Not that it made things better, but still.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

HYHYBT

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2012, 06:03:49 PM »
It wasn't going to beginning in that year, regardless of host. Look at all the shows (and versions of them) that died in the 1990-2 range... and the few (none at all, that I can think of) that *began* in that timeframe that lasted longer than 1991 Pyramid did.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Vahan_Nisanian

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2012, 06:05:26 PM »
Looks like GSN approved of the pilot

But then again, wasn't there a casting call after the New York CBS pilot in 2009 as well?

Kevin Prather

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2012, 09:18:57 PM »
Looks like GSN approved of the pilot

But then again, wasn't there a casting call after the New York CBS pilot in 2009 as well?
This is the second posting, so fingers crossed.

PYLdude

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2012, 10:40:50 PM »
It wasn't going to beginning in that year, regardless of host. Look at all the shows (and versions of them) that died in the 1990-2 range... and the few (none at all, that I can think of) that *began* in that timeframe that lasted longer than 1991 Pyramid did.

That's not a good example to use as:

-2 were crappy revivals of previous hit series (TJW and TTD)
-1, unfairly, was labeled as a Jeopardy! clone (Challengers)
-1 had a host who was so unprofessional he sucked the meat missile harder than Patrick Wayne and that's saying something (Quiz Kids Challenge)
-1, unfairly just didn't have much in the way of luck (Trump Card)
-1 was Ruckus
-The last was Freaking Studs (sorry), which really wasn't a game show

And that's only if you count the syndicated adult series. Let's not forget about the revival of LMaD, the last licks of daytime Wheel, Monopoly, the last year and change of Fun House, and whatever was on Nickelodeon at the time. (Also TTTT, forgot)

Out of all of those series, only two may have had capable hosts throughout (that being The Challengers and Wheel; TTTT really didn't pick up any steam until Trebek came in and by that time it was too late). You could say what you want about JD Roth but once they made the move to Fox it sort of screwed everything up, and wasn't Marc Summers knee deep in his OCD problem by then?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2012, 03:04:49 PM »
wasn't Marc Summers knee deep in his OCD problem by then?
What? What does that have to do with anything? As far as game show fan knowledge is concerned, there's plenty of sources you could find that would surely refute whatever logic you want to apply with that, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt with a reply before I do.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

tvwxman

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »
What? What does that have to do with anything? As far as game show fan knowledge is concerned, there's plenty of sources you could find that would surely refute whatever logic you want to apply with that, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt with a reply before I do.

-Jason
Thank you. That was a far better response to that than I would have given him to that completely asinine remark.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Kevin Prather

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2012, 03:35:34 PM »

-Jason
Thank you. That was a far better response to that than I would have given him to that completely asinine remark.
Agreed. Part of me still wants to say "0/10. Jason, don't feed the trolls," but let's see where this goes.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2012, 04:28:34 PM »
-1 had a host who was so unprofessional he sucked the meat missile harder than Patrick Wayne and that's saying something (Quiz Kids Challenge)
Got some sad news: Peter Tomarken could have hosted that dog and it would still have eaten a Bowl'a'Dicks. It just wasn't that good.

Sorry, what? What does this even mean? Either you get a primo clearance or you don't. And if you do, the game had better be good, and Trump Card wasn't all that great a game.

and wasn't Marc Summers knee deep in his OCD problem by then?
If he was, he didn't know it yet, but what does that have to do with anything.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

PYLdude

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »
Got some sad news: Peter Tomarken could have hosted that dog and it would still have eaten a Bowl'a'Dicks. It just wasn't that good.

I don't fully agree with that- maybe it could've used a tweak or two but I thought the format was at least decent enough to get it to one full season.

Besides, Tomarken never really hosted a straight quiz, right?

Sorry, what? What does this even mean? Either you get a primo clearance or you don't.

Hence my point.

And if you do, the game had better be good, and Trump Card wasn't all that great a game.

Again, I don't agree, but to each their own.

and wasn't Marc Summers knee deep in his OCD problem by then?
If he was, he didn't know it yet, but what does that have to do with anything.

...because it might have affected his ability to conduct the game, perhaps? Rest assured I'm not just making this remark off the cuff, no matter what certain people's responses may have led them to believe. I'm saying it because when I was watching the Double Dare series during this time it seemed like he wasn't as sharp as he had been just a few years earlier. Then again it also could've been just being burned out from doing it for so long. I don't know.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #133 on: June 23, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »
I'd call HIT MAN a straight quizzer, even if it involved Tomarken narrating two stories that would serve as the basis for the questions.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

PYLdude

Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2012, 08:31:38 PM »
I'd call HIT MAN a straight quizzer, even if it involved Tomarken narrating two stories that would serve as the basis for the questions.

Which is why I lean more toward memory-based game than straight quiz.